T Nation

Ditch The Plastic

Hey, guys, new user, long-time reader here.

The level of obsessive dedication shown by many people on this site towards training, nutrition, and lifestyle, often down to the most minute details, is unquestionably impressive, and is exemplified by such advice as: “Sleep in as dark a room as possible to stimulate GH levels.” And worries about the right dextrose/maltodextrin profile in a post-workout shake. In fact, such worries, over, often trivial issues can be found all-over the forum. However, I feel that one issue, of much larger importance than your fucking stupid dextrose is being overlooked.

THE POTENTIAL DANGERS OF PLASTICS.
Indeed, you see the protein shaker attached in the image? Well, the majority (not all) of our beloved shakers are made out of a plastic called NALGENE. Nalgene bottles contain bisphenol-A (BPA,) which is an estrogen-mimicking endocrine disruptor. Indeed, strong evidence suggests that BPA has the potential to cause chromosomal disruption, miscarriages, and birth defects, and since some of you probably chug back at least three shakes a day, out of the same trusty shaker, year in year out, it could be a problem.

The other big plastic issue is with PVC containers and polystyrene, again, STAY AWAY! PVC contains dioxins that have been linked to liver and kidney damage, as well as testicular problems, and the same goes for polystyrene.

On the other hand plastic bottles are usually okay, as long as you don’t keep refilling and re-using the things, as, not only does the plastic deteriorate and leach into the water, the bottles themselves can become a breeding ground for bacteria. This is not some smart-arsed retort propagated by the water companies, to sell more bottles, by the way.

So, whilst your plastic consumption will, likely not kill you, it would be wise to limit your consumption of food from plastics whenever possible, especially until further research on the harmful effects of plastics emerges. At the very least, regularly replace your protein shakers and water bottles, and drink out of glass, not plastic; glass tastes better anyway. It’s certainly a bigger issue than the composition of your post-workout nutrition.

And lest us not forget the environmental damage plastics cause…

Well, ideally you’re right. One should stay clear of plastics to stay on the safe side. That said, Nalgene seems to be a pretty solid material to me. I’ve never seen one decompose before (although, I’ve also never left a shaker for days in the sun).

If you got any sources that corroborate your concerns, please share.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

there are different numbers on the nalgene bottles, some of them are safe

What are you selling?

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
What are you selling?[/quote]

FUD.

Not familiar with that acronym.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
Not familiar with that acronym.[/quote]

Female Urinary Device.

Nalgene is a company, not a type of plastic. I’m pretty sure it was never proven how or if the chemicals could be leeched from their products under normal usage conditions.

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

I think the OP is just “talking to hear himself talk.” Maybe I’m wrong and there actually is some kind of argument or proposition in that post? Something of value besides “look what I know!”?

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Nalgene is a company, not a type of plastic. I’m pretty sure it was never proven how or if the chemicals could be leeched from their products under normal usage conditions.[/quote]

The only thing I’ve heard about that kind of plastic is the effect detergents have on them. Harsh detergents coupled with heat will cause discoloration. When it discolors, this is an indicator of potential leeching.

From this page:http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/108/plastic

Safest Plastics for You and the Environment
*Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE) (#1) containers are recyclable and generally considered the safest single-use plastic-bottle choice. But they are best not reused because studies indicate that after repeated use, PET containers may leach DEHP, an endocrine-disrupting phthalate and probable human carcinogen.
*High-density polyethylene (HDPE) (#2) is both durable and accepted by most curbside recycling programs. Alas, few reusable #2 containers are available.
*Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) (#4), like its cousin HDPE, is a food-safe plastic, mostly used to make food wraps and plastic bags.
*Polypropylene (PP) (#5), though less recyclable, has not been shown to leach any carcinogens or endocrine disruptors. Readily available in reusable containers.

Plastics to Use with Caution
*Polycarbonate (#7) plastics, used in the popular Nalgene Lexan sports bottles and some baby bottles, contain bisphenol-A, a known hormone disruptor that may leach in some circumstances. More research is needed before any potential health risk is known. In the meantime, do not expose bottles to heat or use when visibly worn.

Hope this helps. By the way, I believe most Rubbermaid containers and cheap shakers are made with Polypro (#5) as are most conveinience store plastic cups.

cueball

I believe this topic was covered in an article on this site a while back. If I remember correctly, using plastic bottles for cold shakes and such was considered OK; the problems arise when the plastics get heated up.

I’m sure someone less lazy than me could search for the article and find it.

[quote]Letstalksense wrote:

<<<However, I feel that one issue, of much larger importance than your fucking stupid dextrose is being overlooked.

THE POTENTIAL DANGERS OF PLASTICS.[/quote]

Letstalksense, fear not. There is NO issue here on T-Nation, no matter how small or trivial, that is being overlooked!

Believe me, the potential dangers of plastics have been discussed.

[quote]Letstalksense wrote:
Hey, guys, new user, long-time reader here.

The level of obsessive dedication shown by many people on this site towards training, nutrition, and lifestyle, often down to the most minute details, is unquestionably impressive, and is exemplified by such advice as: “Sleep in as dark a room as possible to stimulate GH levels.” And worries about the right dextrose/maltodextrin profile in a post-workout shake. In fact, such worries, over, often trivial issues can be found all-over the forum. However, I feel that one issue, of much larger importance than your fucking stupid dextrose is being overlooked.

THE POTENTIAL DANGERS OF PLASTICS.
Indeed, you see the protein shaker attached in the image? Well, the majority (not all) of our beloved shakers are made out of a plastic called NALGENE. Nalgene bottles contain bisphenol-A (BPA,) which is an estrogen-mimicking endocrine disruptor. Indeed, strong evidence suggests that BPA has the potential to cause chromosomal disruption, miscarriages, and birth defects, and since some of you probably chug back at least three shakes a day, out of the same trusty shaker, year in year out, it could be a problem.

The other big plastic issue is with PVC containers and polystyrene, again, STAY AWAY! PVC contains dioxins that have been linked to liver and kidney damage, as well as testicular problems, and the same goes for polystyrene.

On the other hand plastic bottles are usually okay, as long as you don’t keep refilling and re-using the things, as, not only does the plastic deteriorate and leach into the water, the bottles themselves can become a breeding ground for bacteria. This is not some smart-arsed retort propagated by the water companies, to sell more bottles, by the way.

So, whilst your plastic consumption will, likely not kill you, it would be wise to limit your consumption of food from plastics whenever possible, especially until further research on the harmful effects of plastics emerges. At the very least, regularly replace your protein shakers and water bottles, and drink out of glass, not plastic; glass tastes better anyway. It’s certainly a bigger issue than the composition of your post-workout nutrition.

And lest us not forget the environmental damage plastics cause…
[/quote]

Ahh…there is no plastic called “NALGENE”. My guess would be a polycarbonate. I work in the plastic industry. I’ve probably been exposed to a million times the normal amount of plastic that the average person would experience in their life time. I have yet to grow arms out of my head or a penis out of my nose. Besides, what is the shirt you’re wearing made out of…could it be…polyester?! OH GOD UR GONNA DIE!

There does seem to be some merit to the OP’s point since he was specifically referring to BPA:

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/

Nalgene is removing all BPA used in their plastics going forward. And lucky me… I got a #7 Nalgene bottle.

Nalgene to Phase Out Production of Consumer Bottles Containing BPA

Nalgene to focus on existing non-BPA bottles and recently announced Everyday line; Ensures consumers get the bottle that fits their lifestyle

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (April 18, 2008) �?? In response to consumer demand, Nalgene® will phase out production of its Outdoor line of polycarbonate containers that include the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA) over the next several months, it announced today. Nalgene�??s existing product mix, including the recently launched Everyday line, already features a number of containers made from materials that do not contain BPA.

�??We have always been focused on responding to the needs and concerns of our customers,�?? said Steven Silverman, general manager of the Nalgene business. �??With 10 different product lines in several different materials, we have the largest bottle offering on the market today. By eliminating containers containing BPA from our consumer product mix, our customers can have confidence that their needs are being met.�??

The company recently unveiled its Everyday line, an assortment of bottles manufactured with Eastman�??s Tritan�?� copolyester. The line includes favorites such as the OTG (�??On the Go�??), the iconic 32-ounce Wide Mouth and the Grip-N-Gulp sippy cup. Tritan is impact resistant, withstands a wide range of temperatures and does not contain BPA. The new Everyday products are already available in stores and will be available through www.nalgene-outdoor.com next month.

To help consumers easily determine the bottle and material that is right for them, Nalgene also recently launched Nalgene Choice�?�, an online information resource at www.nalgenechoice.com. Nalgene Choice provides consumers with information to help them understand the features and benefits of Nalgene�??s wide assortment of products and materials. The result �?? individuals can choose the product that is right for them.

�??Today, everyone from hikers and outdoor enthusiasts to commuters and kids on the go are using Nalgene products to reduce the use of disposable bottles and containers,�?? said Silverman. �??Based on all available scientific evidence, we continue to believe that Nalgene products containing BPA are safe for their intended use. However, our customers indicated they preferred BPA-free alternatives and we acted in response to those concerns.�??

About NALGENE Outdoor
Nalgene Outdoor Products is based in Rochester, New York. Founded in 1949 as a manufacturer of the first plastic pipette holder, the company soon expanded its product line to include state-of-the-art polyethylene labware under the NALGENE brand. By the 1970s, outdoor enthusiasts had discovered the taste and odor-resistant, leakproof and rugged properties of NALGENE�??s large selection of plastic containers. In response to this emerging demand, the NALGENE Consumer Products Division was formed. For more information, contact NALGENE Consumer Products or visit our website at www.nalgene-outdoor.com. Nalgene: A Great Choice, made in the USA, Since 1949.

Oh crap. We’re all going to die now. Hey wait… fast food comes in cardboard boxes and Styrofoam. I guess it’s good for you then. At least until they put it in the plastic bag…

I only eat fastfood from wax paper wrappers, so I’m totally safe.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Oh crap. We’re all going to die now. Hey wait… fast food comes in cardboard boxes and Styrofoam. I guess it’s good for you then. At least until they put it in the plastic bag…[/quote]

No, Styrofoam is bad for you, especially if the liquid/food is hot. The issue of plastic has been covered here before.

We live in a very, very toxic world, nowadays. There is no avoiding it completely. However, you can follow detoxification protocols that will help you get rid of some of the junk stored in your tissues.

LetsTalkSense, See how some people can be with just a simple posting?

Don’t let it discourage you from continuing to post on here.

Thanks for bring this information back up, I’m sure some of us didn’t know about it and/or forgot about it.

I believe the articles is

And there was a post about this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1987430

Al queda designed the plastic industry

Fucking al queda