Disturbing Literature

Bible

Been ruining lives for…well forever

[quote]KrohDaddi wrote:
she didn’t think he had enough bullets to keep them safe[/quote]

“American Psycho” by Bret Easton Ellis. I’m sure most of you have seen the movie, but the book is infinitely more disturbing.

As far as McCarthy is concerned, I think “Blood Meridian” is far superior to and darker than “The Road.”

I thought “The Gunslinger” was a good book, but just about everything after that in the Darktower series was increasingly campy.

The last thing I want to mention is a movie called “Antichrist.” I have not seen a film that left me so chilled for so long in years. It’s not what it sounds like, either.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
“American Psycho” by Bret Easton Ellis. I’m sure most of you have seen the movie, but the book is infinitely more disturbing.

As far as McCarthy is concerned, I think “Blood Meridian” is far superior to and darker than “The Road.”

I thought “The Gunslinger” was a good book, but just about everything after that in the Darktower series was increasingly campy.

The last thing I want to mention is a movie called “Antichrist.” I have not seen a film that left me so chilled for so long in years. It’s not what it sounds like, either. [/quote]

I’m reading American Psycho right now. Bout a third in. I like how casually Ellis includes the crazy bits, which seems like how an actual psychopath would think.

But having to skim every other paragraph because it’s just a list of who is wearing whom gets old.

^^SPOILERS FOR AMERICAN PSYCHO

I think I read somewhere that Patrick Bateman is not really a killer at all but just fantasizing because he’s stuck in such a meaningless job/life.

[quote]Nards wrote:

I think I read somewhere that Patrick Bateman is not really a killer at all but just fantasizing because he’s stuck in such a meaningless job/life.[/quote]

Can’t say at this point. Should finish it in a day or two and draw conclusions then. Could go either way.

I don’t remember anything in the book itself to suggest it, just that Ellis may have said it somewhere later.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
The last thing I want to mention is a movie called “Antichrist.” I have not seen a film that left me so chilled for so long in years. It’s not what it sounds like, either. [/quote]

I’d forgotten about this film and would definitely add it to the disturbed list.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I don’t remember anything in the book itself to suggest it, just that Ellis may have said it somewhere later.[/quote]

Haven’t read the book, but it’s made pretty obvious in the film.

[quote]Nards wrote:

I think I read somewhere that Patrick Bateman is not really a killer at all but just fantasizing because he’s stuck in such a meaningless job/life.[/quote]

I buy into that reading, given the somewhat ridiculous hallucinations he suffers later in the novel. He still happens to be one of the most horrifying and comedic characters I’ve ever encountered on the written page.

I have a few more, now that I think about it:

Lolita, by Nabokov. Prepare to sympathize with a pedophile.

Child of God, by McCarthy (again). The protagonist isn’t really a murderer, more a necrophiliac. Murder is secondary to that end.

Titus Andronicus, by Shakespeare. One of the original blood baths.

Cemetary Man (movie). Italian existential zombie film. Extremely underrated. Might be my favorite walking dead flick.

[quote]Stern wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

I’d forgotten about this film and would definitely add it to the disturbed list.
[/quote]

I just saw a British film called “Kill List.” It’s sort of in the same vein. Check it out.

Books:

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The Informers by Ellis
Lunar Park by Ellis
Diary by Chuck Pahlaniuk
Choke by Pahlaniuk
Survivor by Pahlaniuk
The Spear of Destiny (purportedly true, but actually entirely fabricated) Trevor Ravenscroft
Filth by Irvine Welsh
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
A Farewell to Justice by Joan Mellen
Citizen Hughes by…fuck, I can’t remember his name right now
On the Trail of the Assassins by Jim Garrison
Three New Deals by Wolfgang Schivelbusch
1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Acid Dreams by some fucker that I can’t remember
Cold Warrior by another fucker who I can’t remember
Holy Blood, Holy Grail
Tough Guys Don’t Dance by Norman Mailer
American Dream by Norman Mailer
The Executioner’s Song by Norman Mailer
Deliverance by James Dickey
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
if you find drug use and firearms disturbing, then I recommend anything by Hunter S. Thompson
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler
Mao Zedong’s Little Red Book
The Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
It Can’t Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
that book that RogueVampire is allegedly 140 something pages into.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I don’t remember anything in the book itself to suggest it, just that Ellis may have said it somewhere later.[/quote]

It’s been a while since I read it, but he binges on fast food after a kill and towards the end when his behaviour becomes more open people don’t seem to be reacting to him as if he’s actually doing what he’s thinking at the time. The entire book is an inner monologue.

requiem for a dream, movie and book and anything written by shelby is crazy.

O and before i forget, EVERYONE WATCH THE LAST CIRCUS shits on netflix instant, its fucking boss, most of freinds regretted watching it out of disturbance, i found it brillant.

Regarding American Psycho:

One could also argue that Bateman WAS a real killer. Ellis clearly portrays most of the people who associate with Bateman as complete psychopaths in their own right, figuratively but not literally like Bateman appears to be. Perhaps the nonchalance that Bateman’s peers display toward him is a statement about their own twisted worldview and their own outlandish self-absorption.

I think Ellis wanted to leave the nature/legitimacy of Bateman’s actions (or lack thereof) open-ended. I mean, don’t forget, most of the characters are too caught up in the superficiality of their own lives to even be able to recognize one another half the time, so it’s entirely possible that the behavior of a madman in their midst would go completely unnoticed, thereby creating the impression that it could ALSO simply be a product of Bateman’s own warped mind.

X2 on Palahniuk and Requiem for a Dream. House of Leaves by Mark Danielzewski got into my head and wouldn’t leave, get the full color edition.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Books:

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The Informers by Ellis
Lunar Park by Ellis
Diary by Chuck Pahlaniuk
Choke by Pahlaniuk
Survivor by Pahlaniuk
The Spear of Destiny (purportedly true, but actually entirely fabricated) Trevor Ravenscroft
Filth by Irvine Welsh
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
A Farewell to Justice by Joan Mellen
Citizen Hughes by…fuck, I can’t remember his name right now
On the Trail of the Assassins by Jim Garrison
Three New Deals by Wolfgang Schivelbusch
1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Acid Dreams by some fucker that I can’t remember
Cold Warrior by another fucker who I can’t remember
Holy Blood, Holy Grail
Tough Guys Don’t Dance by Norman Mailer
American Dream by Norman Mailer
The Executioner’s Song by Norman Mailer
Deliverance by James Dickey
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
if you find drug use and firearms disturbing, then I recommend anything by Hunter S. Thompson
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler
Mao Zedong’s Little Red Book
The Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
It Can’t Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
that book that RogueVampire is allegedly 140 something pages into.

[/quote]

Cooper have you read Glamourama by Ellis? It might be my favorite of his novels

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Regarding American Psycho:

One could also argue that Bateman WAS a real killer. Ellis clearly portrays most of the people who associate with Bateman as complete psychopaths in their own right, figuratively but not literally like Bateman appears to be. Perhaps the nonchalance that Bateman’s peers display toward him is a statement about their own twisted worldview and their own outlandish self-absorption.

I think Ellis wanted to leave the nature/legitimacy of Bateman’s actions (or lack thereof) open-ended. I mean, don’t forget, most of the characters are too caught up in the superficiality of their own lives to even be able to recognize one another half the time, so it’s entirely possible that the behavior of a madman in their midst would go completely unnoticed, thereby creating the impression that it could ALSO simply be a product of Bateman’s own warped mind.[/quote]

It’s also possible that we are seeing Bateman’s peers through his eyes, as he sees them. Are we really seeing them as they are or is Bateman’s own detachment distorting the world around him and are we just seeing the distortion? I agree that the story was meant to be open-ended. It definitely reads best that way.