I just spent a while trawling back through the various posts about knee wraps and how they apply to me. What I'm hoping for is that you can all let me know whether I understood correctly and my plan is decent. Thanks in advance.
What I understand so far:
- knee wraps are not a bad idea when used correctly
- if you compete in a federation that allows them, use them
- for a raw lifter, don't rely on them too much in training even if you can use them in competition
- you need to learn how to get the best out of them, which takes a bit of time
- if you are going to use them, a good place to start is above 85% or so OR double your bodyweight
- first meet is March 1 this year, and I got a pair of Inzer Iron Z 2.5 m wraps last week. Better learn how to use them
- my best squat is just over double bodyweight: 396 at 187. So, I should probably use wraps from around 335 onwards as I lead up to the meet.
- once I'm back into training for the next meet, I'll probably just use wraps every two to three weeks at more than 90%
Just FYI, I tested them out last week and found that tightly wrapping them actually HURTS my squat: I can't even get out of the hole (I got stuck under 360 when I tried them the first time, when this is a weight I've happily been able to hit for at least a single for about two and a half months now). Then I tried wrapping up much less tightly and hit 360 for a relatively easy triple. After that I re-wrapped and attempted 407, which was an 11 lb PR (previous PR set just over a month ago) and it felt pretty much the same as 375 or so.
Am I missing anything, doing anything badly wrong? I think my main concern is becoming over-reliant on the wraps to squat heavy which is why I only want to use them over 90% every three weeks or so when I'm not a couple of months out from a meet.