Dissing Sergio Oliva!?

[quote]Qaash wrote:
Plus when the commercial was shot, I bet they didn’t tell him exactly how it would be presented to the masses. Take away the stuff added at the end and it would be seen in a different light.[/quote]

That is a swift kick in the nuts isnt it. It dosent say anything about him winning Mr.O in '67-'69 and is the only man to ever beat Arnold in a Mr.O

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
Qaash wrote:
Plus when the commercial was shot, I bet they didn’t tell him exactly how it would be presented to the masses. Take away the stuff added at the end and it would be seen in a different light.

That is a swift kick in the nuts isnt it. It dosent say anything about him winning Mr.O in '67-'69 and is the only man to ever beat Arnold in a Mr.O[/quote]

Advertising, that’s how Madison Avenue rolls.

[quote]Qaash wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Qaash wrote:
Plus when the commercial was shot, I bet they didn’t tell him exactly how it would be presented to the masses. Take away the stuff added at the end and it would be seen in a different light.

That is a swift kick in the nuts isnt it. It dosent say anything about him winning Mr.O in '67-'69 and is the only man to ever beat Arnold in a Mr.O

Advertising, that’s how Madison Avenue rolls.[/quote]

Too true.

I also find it amusing that this commercial presumes that the majority of people watching it even connect “Arnold Schwarzenegger” with “Mr. Olympia”.

I’d be willing to bet if you asked 100 ‘common population’ people what they know Arnold from, 90 of them would say “movies”, 8 of them would say “Governor of California”, and maybe 2 of them would say “bodybuilding”.

Fuck that.

And one for good measure.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:

Well I didnt know he had been shot. But he looks like an average 60-70 year old man to me. As for what Ill look like at 70 I cant say but thats a shot of my dad at 50 and I look just like him(Im a bit bigger) so its a good bet Ill be ok. Also he just won the 50 and overs master here In May. I know your talking about the ppl here in general and not me specifically but it was directed at me.

Any who I understand what your saying [/quote]

I know you do…and your dad looks great. However, there is also a TWENTY YEAR difference between your dad and these guys. If you are in your twenties, that is like comparing you to someone in grade school. There is a lot that can happen in 20 fucking years and there is a lot of degradation that your body will experience after the age of 50. You simply can’t compare the two just because they are all over 40.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Oh come on it was a commercial and they were just making a point…laugh a little. At least they weren’t shedding a particularly negative light on bbing, which is 100% better than the norm these days. [/quote]

Exactly. The commercial is fine, and does nothing to diparage him at all. I found it interesting.

And to say he looks like shit…is just ignorant.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Is it just me or dose he look like shit? He just hasnt haged well. Zane is only a year younger at 66 and looks great for his age. Even Sly, who I know you cant comepire to the Mr.Os back in the day, but looks great for 60+.

Just my O

None of those guys has taken a bullet to the chest. Sergio is lucky to be alive.

More than that, using touched up photos of Zane today against live footage of Oliva is retarded. Zane is in better shape than most of the people his age could ever be…but let’s stop pretending like he doesn’t look like he in his 60’s. I’ve seen more recent interviews with him and he can barely do ANY of the exercises that built his size anymore due to injuries. That means no more bench press or squats.

LOL at “only a year younger”. Both of these men are damn near 70. Saying Oliva looks like shit at damn near 70 is a slap in the face itself. How many nearly 70 year olds look like Oliva, still hit the gym on any type of regular schedule, and work as a police officer into their 60’s?

I think some here have an unrealistic view of even their own lives. I would love to see a future image of most people who talk shit when they reach anywhere near that age. My guess is, they won’t be winning any trophies.

People age. That includes everyone here. That body you walk around in is fleeting which is why time is of the essence and why wasting years to reach a goal instead if driving hard towards it from the start makes the least sense.

It also makes sense to avoid serious injury while younger because all carelessness now will make you care a lot more in 20 years.[/quote]

I was going to say something intelligent, but X’s post captures everything I wanted to communicate.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
In their heart of hearts, every one of the undoubtedly skinny-fat, pasty assholes that came up with that commercial wishes they could look half as good as Sergio did.[/quote]

Yeah, I doubt they made the commercial to secretly vent their jealousy over Sergio’s swoleness.

I seriously doubt it was made in anthing but jest…are you guys really saying you have never heard “Nobody remembers who came in second” before? It could have been done for many sports - not just bodybuilding. Arnie just has such a huge name and has accomplished so damn much that it was easy.

Damn, it hasn’t turned into a discussion about Essen '72.

That’s just awful. I was watching and thinking “why are people complaining? This guy has a GREAT life - working, having fun, nice house”, and then that end was just terrible.

Now, we don’t have the whole story, so if he KNEW how it was gonna be used, maybe he’s so well-adjusted he said “yeah, I moved PAST bodybuilding and still enjoy my life, so I think this would be funny”.

He’s definitely got less stress than Arnold’s (got, that’s for sure.)

If he didn’t know they were gonna throw that tagline BS at the end, I say we drop a 45lb plate on some ad exec’s throat, because it’s just disrespectful.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
What an asshole thing to do. Guy’s one of the frigging legends of the sport. Coming in second to the Oak is no shame. How many people can say they had a sub-30" waist…with arms over 20"? Not many. And they make him out to be a loser.

In their heart of hearts, every one of the undoubtedly skinny-fat, pasty assholes that came up with that commercial wishes they could look half as good as Sergio did.[/quote]

I dare anyone to put a side-by-side photo of Olivia against Arnold and tell me that Arnold should have beat him. Arnold was a better politician and more charismatic…but just going by the body? Olivia IMO.

Of course I haven’t seen film of the O’s if there is any, so presentation may have pushed the Oak over.

And then there’s Ricky Wayne’s account…he wrote that when Arnold won he talked the organizer into moving to different room that Arnold noticed was painted with muted chocolate color that helped to wash out Olivia’s condition (I believe this was the Word not the O).

Ricky countered with “there was a lot of talk about Olivia’s color in the loss, but only Arnold was talking about the paint on the walls.”

I think that if bodybuilding didn’t exist Olivia and Viator would have had to invent it, because they’re bodies were simply designed by nature for it.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
I think its funny…because everyone who knows dick about bodybuilding remembers Sergio.[/quote]

One of my first memories about bodybuilding was Sergio. I knew Arnold from Conan and Terminator but had no idea how he got the way he did…knew nothing of BBing as a sport, or steroids, Pumping Iron, any of it.

My dad lifted and had copies of M&F laying around and I distinctly remember two images:

1. A pic of Gladys Portuguese in some red unitard thong thing

2. Not an article ghost written for a bodybuilder, not a protein supplement add, not a single exercise description of some Weider principle.

…nope, it was a small add in the side column of some article.

It was an advertisement that pic of Olivia in his yellow shirt (the one that says “the myth”) flaring his lats. I swear it didn’t look human…we didn’t have photochop back them but I remember I asked my dad if it was fake.

He just never seemed to stop getting wider.

…and then I flipped back to Gladys.

For Med.

[quote]medevac wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
I think its funny…because everyone who knows dick about bodybuilding remembers Sergio.

One of my first memories about bodybuilding was Sergio. I knew Arnold from Conan and Terminator but had no idea how he got the way he did…knew nothing of BBing as a sport, or steroids, Pumping Iron, any of it.

My dad lifted and had copies of M&F laying around and I distinctly remember two images:

1. A pic of Gladys Portuguese in some red unitard thong thing

2. Not an article ghost written for a bodybuilder, not a protein supplement add, not a single exercise description of some Weider principle.

…nope, it was a small add in the side column of some article.

It was an advertisement that pic of Olivia in his yellow shirt (the one that says “the myth”) flaring his lats. I swear it didn’t look human…we didn’t have photochop back them but I remember I asked my dad if it was fake.

He just never seemed to stop getting wider.

…and then I flipped back to Gladys.[/quote]

So I can assume that your avatar is you in your youth with dad?

I’m going to add that commercial song to my playlist.

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
For Med.[/quote]

YES YES YES I mean look at that…imagine being like 11 or whatever and going WHAT THE HELL IS THAT.

That is awesome, thanks. I wonder if you can still get that shirt…and if it would be worth the ridicule with my body?

yes…yes it would…

[quote]LightsOutLuthor wrote:

[/quote]

Actually he only took me to the gym once when I was 12. I got into lifting later on my own but in retrospect I wish we would have. He used the gym and later running as his personal time and I can’t fault him for that. It would have been nice to go with him though…

My dad is 6’4" and was 230 when he was lifting and was in shape so I certainly could have learned something from him.

Unfortunately I took after my mom and never got above 5’8". Oh, well I joke that I got her brains and his temper, which means I’m smart and will probably end up with high BP and a coronary by the time I’m 40.

[quote]medevac wrote:

I dare anyone to put a side-by-side photo of Olivia against Arnold and tell me that Arnold should have beat him. Arnold was a better politician and more charismatic…but just going by the body? Olivia IMO.
[/quote]

IMO Arnold looked better at the 1972 Mr.Olympia.

[quote]medevac wrote:
LightsOutLuthor wrote:

Actually he only took me to the gym once when I was 12. I got into lifting later on my own but in retrospect I wish we would have. He used the gym and later running as his personal time and I can’t fault him for that. It would have been nice to go with him though…

My dad is 6’4" and was 230 when he was lifting and was in shape so I certainly could have learned something from him.

Unfortunately I took after my mom and never got above 5’8". Oh, well I joke that I got her brains and his temper, which means I’m smart and will probably end up with high BP and a coronary by the time I’m 40.[/quote]

Yeah, genetics are so much fun. (sarcasm detectors going off after I said that).