Disposing of Syringes

How do y’all dispose of your needles and syringes?

@Nashtide recommended a sharps container. Can be picked up at a pharmacy or a medical supply store

Not the right answer, but…

re-apply cap, toss in garbage. :stuck_out_tongue:

@paduse I assume you’re joking

No joke… I know I should get a sharps container… but I haven’t. I literally re-apply the cap and toss the syringe in the garbage.

OK, I should have been more clear. I have a sharps container. What do you do with it once it’s filled?

Wrap it in gift wrap and give it as a present to someone you don’t like

If you use a sharps container it is now medical hazardous waste and subject to a lot of laws and regulations. If you find some other strong plastic container and use that, then tape shut with packing tape, you can toss that in the trash.

1 Like

This is what I do. A large juice bottle or similar works very well.

In Florida there is a Needle Collection Programs that the law requires you to go through. They have drop off location where you give them your container and they provide you with a new one. However most counties allow you a “last resort” procedure where you put the needles in a strong plastic container (like KSman said) and tape it up, but you must call your local landfill to see if they accept it. I doubt they enforce the law, seems impossible to track down who put the needles there

In Central Florida you can drop off your Sharps container at almost any fire station. I suspect other locations are similar. It must be an official Sharps container though, and they’ll give you a new one free.

Buy a really fuggin big sharps container on amazon and only put the needles in, no syringes (except maybe slin pins if you use hCG), then you will have literally years to figure out the answer to that question.

Procrastination is always the answer.

This is what I do as well. I’ll use something similar to a laundry detergent container and reapply the caps to syringes before discarding. When full I duct tape the top on the container and write “used. do not open.” with a sharpy.