Disney Film You're Forbidden To See...

I’m sure Ive seen that film on the wonderful world of Disney show on abc in ny in the 70’s. Who banned it? Disney?

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:
Was that all you can come up roybot? A picture of Olivier would have
sufficed because sitting through almost 8 minutes of Othello
is about as exciting as watching Corn Flakes getting soggy.

Of course you are barely intelligent enough to realize my point was
that black faced white actors wasn’t nearly prevalent back then as ‘xbox’
suggested…Shit, Robert Downey Jr, was fuckin’ great in “Tropic Thunder”,
did you forget that one?

What you missed as point other than looking faults in other people is that OTHER racially
replaced roles were common in the 20th Century anyway for races OTHER than Blacks,
so you may post pictures…PICTURES…PIC-TURES, of white actors who weren’t
say…Indians, Asians, Mexicans, etc. in the roles white actors played in movies,
because THAT still happens present day in movies from time to time.[/quote]

You said white actors never appeared in black face to replace a black actor. I managed to scrape together enough brain cells to prove you wrong. Twice. So if you’re going to attack my intelligence it makes me dumb and you dumber.

[/quote]

I dunno, black face had a certain mocking quality about it, and, not having seen it, but having seen other movies with Lawrence Olivier who was first and foremost a stage actor, this quality is most likely be missing.

Is black face black face if it does not shit on black people?

Serious question.

Study social history social darwinism, nazism and all that shit then come back and tell me people weren’t outright batshit insane racist back then. Like it was common knowledge besides a few free thinkers and renegades. It is not right but it was an we are here now in a better state well in some places because of it. Such racism did not exist until the 18880’s before that it was cultural bias race became implicated with the application of social darwinism that was flaed and made up for nations to legitimize their dominance over races they claimed inferior. Books bruh books

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

did you forget that one?

What you missed as point other than looking faults in other people is that OTHER racially
replaced roles were common in the 20th Century anyway for races OTHER than Blacks,

You said white actors never appeared in black face to replace a black actor. I managed to scrape together enough brain cells to prove you wrong. Twice. So if you’re going to attack my intelligence it makes me dumb and you dumber.

[/quote]

I dunno, black face had a certain mocking quality about it, and, not having seen it, but having seen other movies with Lawrence Olivier who was first and foremost a stage actor, this quality is most likely be missing.

Serious question. [/quote]

That depends on if you think Othello is better played by a black actor or a white actor in black face.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

did you forget that one?

[/quote]

That depends on if you think Othello is better played by a black actor or a white actor in black face.
[/quote]

I think any role Olivier wanted to play was worth him playing it?

Dont get me wrong, he transferred a lot of his stage skills to movies which at least to me seems to be overly dramatic but this was a god amongst actors and if he wanted to take on a role the world was probably better for it.

I joked around with some buddies that I was going to do black tip just for girls who like the jungle fever. They found it funny and they were full of melanin.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

did you forget that one?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, he transferred a lot of his stage skills to movies which at least to me seems to be overly dramatic but this was a god amongst actors and if he wanted to take on a role the world was probably better for it.[/quote]

OK. Do you think that Olivier in black face would be a more convincing Othello than, say, Laurence Fishburne?

roybot typed feverishly: “You said white actors never appeared in black face to replace a black actor. I managed to scrape together enough brain cells to prove you wrong. Twice.”

I never said ‘‘never’’ in that post…The point was it wasn’t prevalent.
Like I said, you missed the entire point…next time take fuckin’ the wax out your
ears and listen to these posts a little closer will ya?

You even missed my Robert Downey Jr. reference and had to re-quote me
the second time around…Remind us never to hire you for fuckin’ Recon duty
during the Zombie Apocalypse lest we get eaten alive by the undead because
you were blind as a Bat as well.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

did you forget that one?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, he transferred a lot of his stage skills to movies which at least to me seems to be overly dramatic but this was a god amongst actors and if he wanted to take on a role the world was probably better for it.[/quote]

OK. Do you think that Olivier in black face would be a more convincing Othello than, say, Laurence Fishburne?

Olivier did it in the 40s, maybe 50s…

No Fishburne around then.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

did you forget that one?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Othello Act IV "slap scene" (Fishbourne version) - YouTube [/quote]

No Fishburne around then. [/quote]

All I wanted was a straight answer to whether YOU would prefer a black actor in a black role or a white guy in make-up. For heaven’s sake you’ve just said you haven’t even seen the Olivier Othello.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

did you forget that one?

[/quote]

[/quote]

All I wanted was a straight answer to whether YOU would prefer a black actor in a black role or a white guy in make-up. For heaven’s sake you’ve just said you haven’t even seen the Olivier Othello. [/quote]

I would prefer a GOOD black actor to play Othello.

But, if GOOD black actors cannot be had, and be it for the way society was back then, I would prefer a good white actor to do it.

You have not answered my question either, is it really blackface if there is no mocking involved or is it just make up?

And especially with Othello, how much does it matter what the color of his skin is?

Some, definitely, but ultimately he is a man betrayed.

And not because of what he looks like.

Do you have to look black to play Othello, yes, is it about a black mans experience, not really.

Other than that he is black and that is his experience.

Could have been Chinese, not much difference.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

did you forget that one?

[/quote]

[/quote]

All I wanted was a straight answer to whether YOU would prefer a black actor in a black role or a white guy in make-up. For heaven’s sake you’ve just said you haven’t even seen the Olivier Othello. [/quote]

I would prefer a GOOD black actor to play Othello.

But, if GOOD black actors cannot be has, and be it for the way society was back then, I would prefer a good white actor to do it.

You have not answered my question either, is it really blackface if there is no mocking involved or is it just make up?[/quote]

It’s really down to you to watch the Olivier Othello or the Orson Welles version and decide that for yourself.

There’s good reason to doubt whether the Character ‘‘Othello’’ was even Black in the
first place.

[quote]orion wrote:
And especially with Othello, how much does it matter what the color of his skin is?

Some, definitely, but ultimately he is a man betrayed.

And not because of what he looks like.

Do you have to look black to play Othello, yes, is it about a black mans experience, not really.

Other than that he is black and that is his experience.

Could have been Chinese, not much difference.[/quote]

What’s your experience of the play to come to that conclusion?

[quote]Karado wrote:
There’s good reason to doubt whether the Character ‘‘Othello’’ was even Black in the
first place.

[/quote]

Whoa. You know Google-fu.

More like Bing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu…Now stop trying to Fellate me while I Triangle choke you.

[quote]Karado wrote:
roybot typed feverishly: “You said white actors never appeared in black face to replace a black actor. I managed to scrape together enough brain cells to prove you wrong. Twice.”

I never said ‘‘never’’ in that post…The point was it wasn’t prevalent.
Like I said, you missed the entire point…next time take fuckin’ the wax out your
ears and listen to these posts a little closer will ya?

You even missed my Robert Downey Jr. reference and had to re-quote me
the second time around…Remind us never to hire you for fuckin’ Recon duty
during the Zombie Apocalypse lest we get eaten alive by the undead because
you were blind as a Bat as well.[/quote]

You contradicted yourself. I quoted you. Deal with it. You can always start another account.

Magnificent horn part in the Othello Overture by Antonin Dvorak. Man I’d love to play that again. This thread made me think of that. Maybe I need to go process this in Emily’s thread/lounge.

roybot ranted intermittently:

“You contradicted yourself.”

Only in your mind royboy.

“I quoted you.”

Well Goody for you, what do you want for that, a Medal?
You’re the kind of person if somebody said “it hit me like a ton of bricks” you’d
challenge them to see if they knew what being hit by a ton of bricks
even felt like.

“Deal with it.”

Dealt with.

“You can always start another account.”

You mean I can DO that??
WWWWWOW, that’s neato royboy!..I mean, that’s swell,
Can I, Can I, Like change my name too??
Can I? can I royboy, huh HUH can I please, pretty please
with sugar on top and surrounded my pretty shiny Candy
Canes?