that are more offensive to Blacks than this film,
but you see, Jesse Jackson and Co. would crap their
pants if Disney gave the green light for Americans
to watch it…It is available from some places outside
the U.S. on DVD or Laserdisc I believe.

WARNING: Very racially offensive scene from the movie, watch
at you own risk, and remember you can’t un-see what
what you see!

I not only own a copy on DVD, but a book on the actual story behind the film. I honestly do not believe it was even intended to be a racially insensitive film, but given the times it was made in, and many of the films being made similarly, you have to view it in its context.

Sadly, many of the films produced in this country’s past have been deemed unviewable, essentially taking away vital pieces of film history in the process.

Check out “who’s afraid of song of the south?” by Jim Korkis if you are actually interested in the rather interesting tale behind what would otherwise have been viewed as an amazing piece of animation.

S

Wonder how many residual royalties that black actor would have gotten if not for the forced of political correctness?

I’d be mighty pissed off if I was him.

I’m sure he did well, the film was last seen in theaters in the U.S. as a re-release as
late as the early 70’s before political correctness started to creep in and was banned later.
SOTS is from 1946.

Update: OOPS, looks like actor James Baskett died in '48.
So much for ‘basking’ in success for too long.

The funny thing is that the animated versions of Uncle Remus’s characters were so popular that despite the majority of people having never seen the film, their images still adorn Splash Mountain in Disney World. Of course the ‘Tar Baby’ is no where to be found, but you can find Brer Rabibit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox throughout the attraction.

S

That selective characters at the Park is interesting, and I’m sure you mean the '‘majority’'
of people TODAY haven’t seen it let alone never even heard of it.

It was fairly successful at the box office back in the 40’s wasn’t it?
Maybe not a box office smash…IDK, but it wasn’t a flop either…many people
at least have HEARD about the film for decades, back in the day.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Wonder how many residual royalties that black actor would have gotten if not for the forced of political correctness?

I’d be mighty pissed off if I was him.[/quote]

He died in 1948, two years after the films release. During those heady days of freedom for black actors in Hollywood, you know when they weren’t replaced by whites in black face.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot/asshole, can somebody please fill me in about what exactly is so racially insensitive in the clip attached by the OP? Either I’m completely missing it or, I’m not picking up on the sarcasm in the post.

[quote]Karado wrote:
That selective characters at the Park is interesting, and I’m sure you mean the '‘majority’'
of people TODAY haven’t seen it let alone never even heard of it.

It was fairly successful at the box office back in the 40’s wasn’t it?
Maybe not a box office smash…IDK, but it wasn’t a flop either…many people
at least have HEARD about the film for decades, back in the day.[/quote]

From IMDB:
According to page 93 of James Snead’s book, “White Screens/Black images”, “At the film’s New York premiere in Times Square, dozens of black and white pickets chanted, ‘We fought for Uncle Sam, not Uncle Tom,’ while the NAACP called for a total boycott of the film, and the National Negro Congress called on black people to ‘run the picture out of the area.’”

Yeah, it’s only been a ‘problem’ in the age of political correctness. It was also re-released in 81 and 86. Disney has separated itself from to protect it’s image, much like the original Walt Disney a renowned racist, is not really talked up by Disney.

You’re exaggerating and you’ve got your timeline WAY out of whack ‘xbox’, there were
no black actors who got ‘‘replaced’’ with white actors in black face in movies in the 40’s.

Radio/TV shows like ‘‘Amos And Andy’’ and other similar acts were around back then,
and in the 20’s and 30’s there were ‘black faced’ white people in acts here and there,
But in MOVIES in the 40’s and later, uh, no…I don’t think so.

Sure there was C. Thomas Howell in ‘‘Soul Man’’ and similar movies here and
there, but it’s not what you are really talking about here.

[quote]Karado wrote:
You’re exaggerating and you’ve got your timeline WAY out of whack ‘xbox’, there were
no black actors who got ‘‘replaced’’ with white actors in black face in movies in the 40’s.

Radio/TV shows like ‘‘Amos And Andy’’ and other similar acts were around back then,
and in the 20’s and 30’s there were ‘black faced’ white people in acts here and there,

there, but it’s not what you are really talking about here.[/quote]

[quote]CMdad wrote:
At the risk of sounding like an idiot/asshole, can somebody please fill me in about what exactly is so racially insensitive in the clip attached by the OP? Either I’m completely missing it or, I’m not picking up on the sarcasm in the post. [/quote]
I think that in current times it is deemed as facilitating negative stereotypes about blacks. As stu was saying for the time period it was created in it was completely fine. And yeah your not an idiot lol I didn’t get the sarcasm of the op until i was halfway through and was like this is just a black guy singing a pleasant song with animated characters.

[quote]Karado wrote:

there, but it’s not what you are really talking about here.[/quote]

I was making use of a literary term known as sarcasm, much like your original post contained. My point was thinking that James Baskett would be ‘well off’ with so much institutionalized racism in existence.

[quote]Jlabs wrote:

[quote]CMdad wrote:
At the risk of sounding like an idiot/asshole, can somebody please fill me in about what exactly is so racially insensitive in the clip attached by the OP? Either I’m completely missing it or, I’m not picking up on the sarcasm in the post. [/quote]
I think that in current times it is deemed as facilitating negative stereotypes about blacks. As stu was saying for the time period it was created in it was completely fine. And yeah your not an idiot lol I didn’t get the sarcasm of the op until i was halfway through and was like this is just a black guy singing a pleasant song with animated characters. [/quote]

The argument that ‘for the time period it was created in it was completely fine.’ ignores the fact that it is not fine to say people are disgusting and barbaric b/c of their skin color. Being the status quo does not make something right.

Saw black face as recently as a month or so ago (black face starts at 3:30):

It was in the sequel, Lethal Weapon 6.

Was that all you can come up roybot? A picture of Olivier would have
sufficed because sitting through almost 8 minutes of Othello
is about as exciting as watching Corn Flakes getting soggy.

Of course you are barely intelligent enough to realize my point was
that black faced white actors wasn’t nearly prevalent back then as ‘xbox’
suggested…Shit, Robert Downey Jr, was fuckin’ great in “Tropic Thunder”,
did you forget that one?

What you missed other than looking for faults in other people is that OTHER racially
replaced roles were common in the 20th Century anyway for races OTHER than Blacks,
so you may post pictures…PICTURES…PIC-TURES, of white actors who weren’t
say…Indians, Asians, Mexicans, etc. in the roles white actors played in movies,
because THAT still happens present day in movies from time to time.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Was that all you can come up roybot? A picture of Olivier would have
sufficed because sitting through almost 8 minutes of Othello
is about as exciting as watching Corn Flakes getting soggy.

did you forget that one?

What you missed as point other than looking faults in other people is that OTHER racially
replaced roles were common in the 20th Century anyway for races OTHER than Blacks,
so you may post pictures…PICTURES…PIC-TURES, of white actors who weren’t
say…Indians, Asians, Mexicans, etc. in the roles white actors played in movies,
because THAT still happens present day in movies from time to time.[/quote]

You said white actors never appeared in black face to replace a black actor. I managed to scrape together enough brain cells to prove you wrong. Twice. So if you’re going to attack my intelligence it makes me dumb and you dumber.

[quote]Karado wrote:

But in MOVIES in the 40’s and later, uh, no…I don’t think so

did you forget that one?

…[/quote]

[quote]xboxwarrior wrote:

[quote]Jlabs wrote:

[quote]CMdad wrote:
I think that in current times it is deemed as facilitating negative stereotypes about blacks. As stu was saying for the time period it was created in it was completely fine. And yeah your not an idiot lol I didn’t get the sarcasm of the op until i was halfway through and was like this is just a black guy singing a pleasant song with animated characters. [/quote]

The argument that ‘for the time period it was created in it was completely fine.’ ignores the fact that it is not fine to say people are disgusting and barbaric b/c of their skin color. Being the status quo does not make something right.[/quote]
Lol you miss the whole point. Everyone besides idiots knows racism is groundless and retarded back then the average person was extremely racist by today’s standards you can’t look back and say it wasn’t right. It happened. Xbox champion