Dislocated Shoulder Rehab?

My buddy injured his shoulder a year ago, basically he keeps dislocated it (comes out of socket). Has anyone had this issue? What rehab can he do to keep this from happening?

• Adam

the rehab that he should be doing should come from a professional.

sorry dude, but an internet forum is NOT the best option for rehab advice!

That’s true, but I’m sure there are people on this forum who have had the same problem.

• Adam

[quote]forbes wrote:
the rehab that he should be doing should come from a professional.

sorry dude, but an internet forum is NOT the best option for rehab advice![/quote]

Hey Adam,
I also dislocated my shoulder when I was 17 or 18 (almost 21 now). And I have not dislocated my shoulder since. I can’t tell you what your friend should do but can tell you what I did.

BTW, the doctor told me that there is over 80% chance that I will dislocate again since dislocation occurred during my teen years.

I did see the chiropractor (even though “doctors” don’t seem to trust them too much).

And most importantly, I did not play any sports or anything else that emulated the motion that cause my shoulder to dislocate.

For me, being really really careful was most important.

Had the similar injury. Not the dislocation but overstretching the socket, really nasty. Since I was a kid I had some weird flexibility in left sholuder so that i could dislocate the sholder by myself…
Now I think that strenghtening the rotators helped, especially supraspinatus.
Bot you should first find expert.

Yah he wants to play tackle football…He’ll probably dislocate it during a game. Apparently if he relaxes himself, it just pops back in.

• Adam

[quote]ghdtpdna wrote:
Hey Adam,
I also dislocated my shoulder when I was 17 or 18 (almost 21 now). And I have not dislocated my shoulder since. I can’t tell you what your friend should do but can tell you what I did.

BTW, the doctor told me that there is over 80% chance that I will dislocate again since dislocation occurred during my teen years.

I did see the chiropractor (even though “doctors” don’t seem to trust them too much).

And most importantly, I did not play any sports or anything else that emulated the motion that cause my shoulder to dislocate.

For me, being really really careful was most important.[/quote]

The best thing I ever did for my shoulder was the DC shoulder exercises. Using a towel rolled up or a broom stick.