Dislocated Elbow

Before I start I’d just like to mention I’m typing lefthanded, so if you can excuse some of my spelling errors…

This thursday (14th) I dislocated my right elbow in wrestling. I have 2 1/2 weeks till I start rehab and get the cast off but it will be months before I can lift on it again. I’m looking for some lifts I can do on one arm.

So far I got-

lowerbody
suitcase deads
1 hand farmers walk
1 arm snatch (putswierd strain on elbow)
hammerstrength squat machine
leg press
1 arm sldl
extensions/curls

upper
db shoulder press
1 arm chins w/ a spot
db bench
1 arm row(any suggestions on supporting)
curls
extensions
3 shoulder raises

any other suggestions

I currently have a fractured elbow that tried its best to dislocate so I feel your pain. Perhaps others can chime in on this logic but I don’t know if it would necessarily be a good idea to give one side of your body significant work. Outside of lower body work I would tend to think it would be best to let your elbow recover, work on rehabilitation, and then ramp up the upper body training once your elbow heals.

Good luck with your recovery.

Wait, did you have a break as well as a dislocation or just the dislocation…how bout surgery?? these are big factors

Ouch…I dislocated an elbow skateboarding when I was a kid…forearm dangling and all… still don’t have full range of motion 18 years later. My advice find a good physiotherapist and do everything they say. Good luck with the recovery.

Thanks for the help.

No break, but elbow dangling. The reset was clean. Haven’t had any pain: before, during or after though, so thats a good sign. No surgery. The doc didn’t say anything about tearing so if there was some, I imagine it was minor. I’d like to think this was relatively minor as these things go. Rehab is in two weeks.

As to working one side, I’ve heard there’s a slight carry over affect from working one side to the other. I dont have full faith in the theory but it should at least help limit atrophy.

[quote]Taquito wrote:
Thanks for the help.

No break, but elbow dangling. The reset was clean. Haven’t had any pain: before, during or after though, so thats a good sign. No surgery. The doc didn’t say anything about tearing so if there was some, I imagine it was minor. I’d like to think this was relatively minor as these things go. Rehab is in two weeks.
[/quote]

I have to echo the PT advice. The trouble with dislocations is that there’s more damage there than you think; you feel great now, but it’s the scar tissue that forms around the damaged joint capsule a few weeks later that makes life tough. It sounds like you plan on being diligent with rehab, and that’s the best advice anyone can give you. Do exactly what they say, ice down often, and work hard. And don’t shy away from analgesics when the time comes that you need them. If you don’t need any of this, you are a gifted anomaly – count your blessings.

Good luck, brother.