Dislocated Arm, What To Do?

I just dislocated my right arm. Currently typing this with one hand god this sucks. I have bulked for the past year and a half and have gained 30 pds. I’m 6’2" 192 at 10% bf. I wanted to get down to 6% or 7% BF so currently I’m on day 5 of a 6 week cut. I probably won’t be able to work out for about a month as I’ll be in a sling.

Do I continue to cut? I’m going to lose a lot of my gains anyways right? Please, if you have any suggestions help me out.

bump

[quote]markdp wrote:
I just dislocated my right arm. Currently typing this with one hand god this sucks. I have bulked for the past year and a half and have gained 30 pds. I’m 6’2" 192 at 10% bf. I wanted to get down to 6% or 7% BF so currently I’m on day 5 of a 6 week cut. I probably won’t be able to work out for about a month as I’ll be in a sling. Do I continue to cut? I’m going to lose a lot of my gains anyways right? Please, if you have any suggestions help me out. [/quote]

I’m no physical therapist, so don’t take what I say as gospel.

You can still train, you’ll just really have to be careful about exercise selection and don’t push it too hard. Some studies have shown that continuing to train the opposing limb (your left arm in this case) can actually improve strength in the immobile arm. Also, I recall reading about a study that actually showed that simply imagining doing strength work can improve strength in a previously untrained individual.

So, don’t completely stop training.

As far as the cut, really that has more to do with diet and cardio than training. You need to remember that you are going to be doing less activity than you were before you injured yourself, so even if you kept the same eating habits you would most likely gain weight (though probably not much muscle).

My advice would be to continue the resistance training (just be very careful with your exercise choices), continue the cardio and continue working on the diet. Yes, you will still lose some muscle/strength in the injured arm, but it’s not like you’re going to shrivel up into nothing.

thanks man

I don’t get all the injury threads here. I think the best idea is always to listen to the doctor.

I know. I’m going to my ortho surgeon today. I mean in regards to my diet as it affects my body comp.