Disk Bulge in Lumbar Spine

So I have 3 disks which are bulging in my lumbar spine. Had them for about 5 months now and I’m still able to workout with weights just not heavy and no back or legs. I got my first Epidural shot this week and so far I don’t notice much difference. I been going to PT and doing stretches and shit. the stretching does help but I feel I could be doing more and I could be learning more about my injury. Right now the sciatic nerve is pinched and I know this because I feel a “numbness/weakness” going down my leg. Some days it doesn’t bother me much at all and others the pain gets more intense.

I have been looking into the muscle imbalance theory in which it tells you that some muscles might be stronger than others and therefor it might help to balance them in hopes of fixing posture and therefore relieving the pain. Do you guys have any recommended books or DVDs which I could acquire which handles this topic? if so, have you guys tried them out yourself and have they being effective?

I’m open to any suggestions. If there are any knowledgeable people out there when it comes to back pain and disk damage/sciatica pain please chime in. I don’t expect to be spoon fed and I’m willing to read and research. Also if you guys know of any good doctors in the NY area who don’t just try to cover up the symptoms with pain meds etc but actually take the time to figure out what is causing the pain and directly work on fixing the problem, please let me know.

sorry for the long post and thanks!!

Eric Cressy’s lower back saver’s articles on T-Nation.

planks, other core work that stabilizes not flex, single leg work, dont load your spine doing back work either, i.e cable rows not bent over rows IMO, ive posted more detailed responses all the time in this forum so just look around on any of the other back pain threads, this advice has been giving all over the place, many people are not going to keep reposting the same shit.

Your problem is not nearly unique at this point, you can learn plenty from previous threads or ur own research/experiment, if it gets worse than it is, youre going to need more MRI’s and further testing that cannot be done on the internet.
Best of luck man.

Sciatica? Yup, I had it. Now I don’t.

Learning more about your injury(& body) is THE KEY. (You probably already figured out not to ask your doctor)

It took me MONTHS of study before I had a grasp of the TRUTH and what to do about it. (Unfortunately, sometimes the truth can be hard to uncover and the solution more complex than we’d like.)

I hope this will help put you on the fast-track to resolving your sciatica. I may take some time and study on your part, but, when you more fully understand what you’re dealing with–results will come FAST! I promise you that.

If you’d like to learn directly from one of the highest regarded authorities, Stuart McGill. Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson recommend his book “Ultimate Back Fitness & Performance” as the go-to guide. McGill also has some youtube videos posted you may want to check out.

Cressey and Robertson also have a lot of free articles posted here at T-Nation. “Hips Don’t Lie” is a GREAT one.

Best Regards on your journey.

[quote]postureperfect wrote:

Learning more about your injury(& body) is THE KEY. (You probably already figured out not to ask your doctor)

It took me MONTHS of study before I had a grasp of the TRUTH and what to do about it. (Unfortunately, sometimes the truth can be hard to uncover and the solution more complex than we’d like.)

I hope this will help put you on the fast-track to resolving your sciatica. I may take some time and study on your part, but, when you more fully understand what you’re dealing with–results will come FAST! I promise you that.

If you’d like to learn directly from one of the highest regarded authorities, Stuart McGill. Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson recommend his book “Ultimate Back Fitness & Performance” as the go-to guide. McGill also has some youtube videos posted you may want to check out.

Cressey and Robertson also have a lot of free articles posted here at T-Nation. “Hips Don’t Lie” is a GREAT one.

[/quote]
Yea, most doctors don’t know much when it comes to this particular injury, ridiculous.

I am working with a chiro who trains athletes and works as the chiro/trainer of a college team. He has me doing these two exercises daily with the medicine ball, apparently they’re core stabilizers. I feel them mostly in my lower back so I’m guessing that is my weakest point. I also stretch daily and ice after my back has been used alot. I havent been to the gym in almost a month now and it feels better when I dont use it. The chiro has me going back to the gym next week, starting light and seeing how I feel. We’ll see.

How did you get rid of this problem? and what caused you sciatica, was it a bulge/herniated disk or something else?

[/quote]

haha, well don’t just tease, man, like you’re about to sell a product (are you?) - what did you do?

[quote]alternate wrote:

[/quote]

haha, well don’t just tease, man, like you’re about to sell a product (are you?) - what did you do?[/quote]
X TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO