Disfigurating Hollywood

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
roybot wrote:

I mean, it’s no wonder they are going to look different when there are only three photos to illustrate over twenty years worth of aging.

Absolutely. It’s the juxtaposition of the photos that makes the comparison more shocking…
[/quote]

It is also pretty telling that the supposedly ‘old’ photos are the only ones of the three that aren’t official publicity shots of the actors. The least flattering ones are all impromptu paparazzi shots. Hmmm…

Mickey Rourke takes the cake for looking like he abused the hell out of his body. Hard drugs like coke, alcohol, nicotine take their toll.

It looks like Brids pecked his face while he was in a (name the substance) Induced coma.

He boxed also, but his style of blocking punches with his face didn’t pan out for him.

All the others just looked like they aged and gained weight. No biggie. Well…Except Baldwin.

[quote]UBorba wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Oh Baxter, you know I don’t speak Spanish.

You don’t need to read the text, just look the photos and You’ll understand what’s about.
BTW, it’s not spanish, it’s portuguese, duhh.[/quote]

It’s a quote from the movie Anchorman.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Mickey Rourke takes the cake for looking like he abused the hell out of his body. Hard drugs like coke, alcohol, nicotine take their toll.

It looks like Brids pecked his face while he was in a (name the substance) Induced coma.

He boxed also, but his style of blocking punches with his face didn’t pan out for him.

All the others just looked like they aged and gained weight. No biggie. Well…Except Baldwin. [/quote]

My mom has the biggest fucking crush on Mickey Rourke. I have seen pretty much all of his movies not because I wanted to, but because I had to grow up with a mom who would watch ‘Barfly’ twice in a row in one sitting.

But he is a damned good actor, with a very interesting personal life. Too bad about the botched plastic surgery though, it looks like he went to Mexico to have it done or something. you would think that he would have visited some high end place in Beverly Hills or something.

[quote]UBorba wrote:
Actors are not immortals, they’re still simple humans, but with all that money who of us would let it happen?
http://revistaquem.globo.com/Revista/Quem/0,,EMI25133-9531,00.html[/quote]

Just curious…how old are you?

I hope you aren’t one of those 19-21 year old skinny guys that strut around the gym looking hard, acting like they actually had something to do with the shape they’re in. It would be gratifying to be able to see what happens when time catches up with the majority of these jokers.

[quote]Gregus wrote:

[/quote]

Beat me to it. He boxed on and off until 1995, so of course his face is going to show some wear and tear over the years. Getting punched in the face a lot will do that to you.

The rest of those guys look like the natural aging process to me.

[quote]Petermus wrote:
Russell crowe is still the man.
My name is Gladiator.[/quote]

Haha reminds me of my tattoo. Glad he is still the man.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
UBorba wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Oh Baxter, you know I don’t speak Spanish.

You don’t need to read the text, just look the photos and You’ll understand what’s about.
BTW, it’s not spanish, it’s portuguese, duhh.

It’s a quote from the movie Anchorman.[/quote]

lol errrr

i just jump at any chance i have to show off how smart i am! =)

[quote]hardgnr wrote:

They get critised for getting old, and they will get critised if they get plastic surgery or anything. Fuck being famous.[/quote]

They don’t get criticised for getting old but for letting themselves become major lardasses, or for getting some ridiculous plastic surgery that litteraly destroys their appearance.
Those people do look worse after getting plastic surgery than before! Pathetic!

Russell Crowe is still a god. I would have his fat babies.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Fabregas wrote:
when you’re a celebrity who gets paid outrageous salaries, keeping your image is part of the deal

if you don’t, prepare to get widespread criticism, it goes with the territory.

How is getting older even a part of keeping your “image”? We all get older. That means you too will also look much older eventually. There isn’t shit you can do about it. Plastic surgery may smooth some rough edges but it sure as hell doesn’t turn 50+ years old into 20.[/quote]

getting old isn’t why the pictures are shocking, its how they let themselves go. you show me an old person in good shape and i’ll praise them and try to emulate their achievments, you show me a high profile person who once looked good and now dosn’t and i’ll want to see the pictures out of morbid curiosity, and i’ll probably even pass some underhand remark out of disapointment. Mr X, you have even made many remarks about the general population getting obese, and these people aren’t even in the public eye, so why is it bad for me to express my disapointment at people who are in the public eye.

PS i’m not trying to be confrontational, its just that i’d like to clarify my position, and i’m hopeing you will too. its got potential to be and interesting debate.

[quote]Christine wrote:
How you age has nothing to do with character. It sometimes has a lot to do with genes. How in the hell can you tell someone’s character based upon a picture?
[/quote]

if that were true we should all give up working out right now and put all our money into genetic engineering.
character is what gets you in the gym when you don’t want to, character is what makes you workout between parts and maintain what you have, not just for a role, but for your off screen image and your general health, selfrespect is what stops the strong in character from letting people see them falling apart.

how you age is most definatly a reflection of your character and how you choose to conduct yourself.

Interesting that the importance of maintaining an image has come up. I’m not convinced that celebrities absolutely have to keep themselves slim and youthful-looking in order to keep their careers afloat (unless of course, they became famous on looks alone).

Take Steven Seagal: he is arguably more out of shape than any of the actors in that article, and yet he still manages to make successful movies. Granted, they aren’t theatrical releases, but people still buy him as a credible action star, in spite of him clearly not looking like one.

You’d think that there would be even more pressure on him to maintain his physique considering that he doesn’t work in mainstream movies. Daring to let himself go could’ve killed his career, but it didn’t.

I don’t feel that gaining weight is an issue or a big deal. Im more into reading a persons face. After a certain age it shows all your demons and your past. You in effect wear your life on your face in time.

Seagal looks happy and content, as does Crowe and others. Other faces clearly show a hard lived life.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
I don’t feel that gaining weight is an issue or a big deal. Im more into reading a persons face. After a certain age it shows all your demons and your past. You in effect wear your life on your face in time.

Seagal looks happy and content, as does Crowe and others. Other faces clearly show a hard lived life. [/quote]

i agree, you can tell these things just by looking at a face.

[quote]wukey wrote:
Christine wrote:
How you age has nothing to do with character. It sometimes has a lot to do with genes. How in the hell can you tell someone’s character based upon a picture?

if that were true we should all give up working out right now and put all our money into genetic engineering.
character is what gets you in the gym when you don’t want to, character is what makes you workout between parts and maintain what you have, not just for a role, but for your off screen image and your general health, selfrespect is what stops the strong in character from letting people see them falling apart.

how you age is most definatly a reflection of your character and how you choose to conduct yourself.[/quote]

Yeah, but there are other things that distinguish an individual than working out. You’re judging the character of an individual based upon a very narrow, and shallow, definition.

Does Bill Gates lack character? Mother Theresa, Ghandi?

Putin seams to be aging pretty well.

None of these people have completely fallen apart. They gain some weight… so what? None of them are obese either. You don’t need to look like a body builder and spend all of your time agonizing over every food choice for your general health.

Anyway, these pictures are comparing publicity shots when the actor was much younger to unflattering shots taken many years apart. It says much more about the character of the people choosing to publish this that it does about the people whose photos are depicted.

[quote]Christine wrote:
Yeah, but there are other things that distinguish an individual than working out. You’re judging the character of an individual based upon a very narrow, and shallow, definition.

None of these people have completely fallen apart. They gain some weight… so what? None of them are obese either. You don’t need to look like a body builder and spend all of your time agonizing over every food choice for your general health.

Anyway, these pictures are comparing publicity shots when the actor was much younger to unflattering shots taken many years apart. It says much more about the character of the people choosing to publish this that it does about the people whose photos are depicted.

[/quote]

by just looking at the ‘after’ pictures i can instantly tell you that they have been sat on their arses eating and drinking and generally not showing themselves any respect, that is the jugment that anyone would take. and all of your examples are of people who are and always have been thin, why? because they have never sat on thier arses living off the fat of the land, they are all motivated go-getters and that is what gives them character. if anyone of them put on loads of weight i’d say, “look at that, i guess that means that they’ve lost their way if they’ve got time to put on that much fat”

it was a fair point though, and don’t get me wrong, i know where your coming from. am i wrong to judge them by my standards? probably, but thats the way things are. if you give signals to the public about how easy your life is and how you don’t care anymore, people will judge you by that. i make no appology for that fact.

[quote]wukey wrote:
Christine wrote:

by just looking at the ‘after’ pictures i can instantly tell you that they have been sat on their arses eating and drinking and generally not showing themselves any respect, that is the jugment that anyone would take. [/quote]

No, that is the judgement you are making. You can instantly tell they have been sitting on their asses? All you can tell is they are carrying more fat than they did when they were younger. That is all you can tell. Do you assume that a fat power lifter spends all of their time sitting on their ass.

Their standards are not your standards. Their goals are not your goals. [quote]and all of your examples are of people who are and always have been thin, why? because they have never sat on thier arses living off the fat of the land, they are all motivated go-getters and that is what gives them character. if anyone of them put on loads of weight i’d say, “look at that, i guess that means that they’ve lost their way if they’ve got time to put on that much fat”[/quote]

Bill Gates has always been more skinny-fat, and, as he ages, it appears to be more fat than skinny. I’d guess his diet is dreadful. This has nothing to do with his success. It has to do with his priorities. I’d gather that most of the people linked here are more successful than most of the people making fun of them.

I’m surprised they didn’t compare Arnold from his early days with that beach photo of him after he had surgery.

You don’t have to apologize, but, by my judgement, you come off as naive.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:

Just curious…how old are you?

I hope you aren’t one of those 19-21 year old skinny guys that strut around the gym looking hard, acting like they actually had something to do with the shape they’re in. It would be gratifying to be able to see what happens when time catches up with the majority of these jokers.

[/quote]

I’m 37, and I was getting some fat at 30. It was when and why I started to run.
I would like the opportunity to attend a gym, but I live in a small town here in Brazil, no gyms nearby.
To mount a home gym is too costly and without money to spend my option is to run. I can say I’m in better shappe today than when I was eighteen.

life has a way of creeping up all of us.