Discrimination by Economic Adviser

[quote]Huh? how can someone be unqualified to do construction work?

Rather, construction is where people who are unqualified to do anything else end up; kinda like the military and police.[/quote]

That is harsh…some people just like to do construction work. You can for school to do heating and cooling in the same amount of time that it takes to do Computer Networking, so I don’t really think it is a fair assessment.

Also, there are lot of jobs in the military other than being a grunt, and they turn over into civilian occupations that aren’t labor intensive necessarily.

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
Huh? how can someone be unqualified to do construction work?

Rather, construction is where people who are unqualified to do anything else end up; kinda like the military and police.

That is harsh…some people just like to do construction work. You can for school to do heating and cooling in the same amount of time that it takes to do Computer Networking, so I don’t really think it is a fair assessment.
[/quote]

I agree.

You do not appreciate a good construction crew until you have seen a really bad one.

I can’t believe the Austrian sees the respectability and mental fortitude that is required for construction; and the American doesn’t…this is like world gone topsy-turvy.

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
I can’t believe the Austrian sees the respectability and mental fortitude that is required for construction; and the American doesn’t…this is like world gone topsy-turvy.[/quote]

What?

Try to live in a country that is basically 2/3 mountains without some solid engineering and construction skills in the population.

[quote]SpartanX wrote:

Rather, construction is where people who are unqualified to do anything else end up; kinda like the military and police.

Also, there are lot of jobs in the military other than being a grunt, and they turn over into civilian occupations that aren’t labor intensive necessarily.[/quote]

I’m a grunt, and I like it.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
jawara wrote:
I would too, but I really don’t think to many of the contrustion workers from other countries that come here are as qualified.

Rather, construction is where people who are unqualified to do anything else end up; kinda like the military and police.[/quote]

Would you want a guy who can’t read a schematic, or any other type of blueprint/plans building your house or workplace?

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
I can’t believe the Austrian sees the respectability and mental fortitude that is required for construction; and the American doesn’t…this is like world gone topsy-turvy.[/quote]

I can appreciate the work of any skilled craftsman but lets not pretend that it’s brain surgery or rocket science.

If construction were that difficult Habitat for Humanity would have some logistical problems taking volunteers.

[quote]jawara wrote:
Would you want a guy who can’t read a schematic, or any other type of blueprint/plans building your house or workplace?[/quote]

No, but how hard is that? Would it take a few days to get the hang of it? Do you really think Mexicans don’t use these tools to build their stuff down in Mexico? Do you think they are calling up educated Americans to come down a read their blueprints for them?

Let’s be realistic. Construction is a skill that has a small entry requirement to get into the profession. The only reason some of them get paid so much is that trade unions bar entry into the profession which keeps competition down.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
jawara wrote:
Would you want a guy who can’t read a schematic, or any other type of blueprint/plans building your house or workplace?

No, but how hard is that? Would it take a few days to get the hang of it? Do you really think Mexicans don’t use these tools to build their stuff down in Mexico? Do you think they are calling up educated Americans to come down a read their blueprints for them?

Let’s be realistic. Construction is a skill that has a small entry requirement to get into the profession. The only reason some of them get paid so much is that trade unions bar entry into the profession which keeps competition down.[/quote]

To a guy who may not be able to understand english a schemo may seem a bit overwhelming. I agree with you about the unions though…

They are always behind schedule…I don’t think they let the average jack-ass do framing of their houses, alot of that is probably left to full-timers.