Discrimination Against White Males

[quote]pookie wrote:

My personal experience has been that many minorities (or people with minority sounding names) never even get the chance to demonstrate their competence and/or knowledge simply because they never even get called in for the interview.
[/quote]

But then open a company and only interview people whose name you can´t pronounce.

You get the best at a lower price.

Yay capitalism, may your riches become legendary.

[quote]orion wrote:
But then open a company and only interview people whose name you can´t pronounce.[/quote]

I’d prefer interviewing them all and picking the most competent one.

That’s why those laws are wrong: They substitute one problem for another. Maybe they help in the long run, if only because they force people to acknowledge that “minorities” can be just as competent and knowledgeable as “your people.”

The correct solution would have people review nameless CVs and then interview amorphous blobs with a perfectly neutral, accentless voice. Only after hiring would you get to meet and know the actual competent person you chose.

I’m generally not much in favor of AA, but I’m always amused by those claiming victimimization by it since it only negatively impacts the marginal white candidates. How many white kids in the top 25% of the applicant pool are turned away from a university with an AA admissions policy?

It’s the mediocre applicants on the borderline that suffer. In a business hiring one at a time with quotas and (informal) tenure in effect the situation may change somewhat for specific times and situations, by on average it will still be the same.

The moral of the story is that you’re better off improving yourself than whining about affirmative action. I guess we can say that this is the moral for people on both sides of the issue.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
I hate it how we used to have all of the power, but now we only have most of the power.[/quote]

You’re assuming white people stick together and help eachother.

That’s racist.

White people being in power helps me no more than a black man in power helps black people (lest the leaders are racist).

[quote]etaco wrote:
I’m generally not much in favor of AA, but I’m always amused by those claiming victimimization by it since it only negatively impacts the marginal white candidates. How many white kids in the top 25% of the applicant pool are turned away from a university with an AA admissions policy? [/quote]

Many more than you’d think. But they’re turned down for many reasons. Schools don’t want JUST cream of the crop. They want a diverse (intellectually diverse) body of students.

[quote]
It’s the mediocre applicants on the borderline that suffer. In a business hiring one at a time with quotas and (informal) tenure in effect the situation may change somewhat for specific times and situations, by on average it will still be the same.

The moral of the story is that you’re better off improving yourself than whining about affirmative action. I guess we can say that this is the moral for people on both sides of the issue.[/quote]

I agree somewhat.

I’m pro-race-blind admissions. It’s always funny to ask that question at a college info session.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I hope whoever sponsors this stuff is about to go into major surgery, looks at the surgeon who says: “Hey, I got in because of your law, man! There were many people way more qualified than me, but they were white males. I made mostly C’s and D’s, but thank God for your affirmative actions policies!!”

“Here comes the scalpel, baby!!!”[/quote]

Lets just ignore that the LAST FEW HUNDRED YEARS have been full of “Hey, I got in because I’m white, there were many people way more qualified than me, but they were women, or black, or had a criminal record. I made mostly C’s and became POTUS!”

I think there should be a box you can check off, where you voluntarily hand over your position to a minority. That way, guilt ridden white folk who just can’t live with themselves for getting that job, or seat in a university, can sleep better at night.

Fuck it, time to invade Australia and spread our freedom

they are already doing this with doctors in the US, because populations are so heavily stacked towards whites and Asians. But its more or less to encourage other groups to move towards the medical field.

but theres a little more reason beyond “equality.” Having a diverse population of doctors (and staff at any company that works with a volume of clients) helps to improve patient communication, understanding, blah blah.

theres still parts of the world where TB is considered an evil spirit, and white doctors wondered why the people just threw away the free TB medicine.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Fuck it, time to invade Australia and spread our freedom[/quote]

…and our DNA. ;>

A lot of you are missing a common situation in which AA-laws make it pretty difficult for a white male to get ahead: landing that first post-college ‘real’ job.

While it’s not a life-crushing, “the Man’s holding me down!” sort of situation, it’s pretty tough when, all else being equal, large employers would rather not hire a white male. It’s not as if white males can’t find ANY work, it’s just that they’re operating from a disadvantage due to ‘positive’ discrimination.

The kicker is that, for the vast majority of straight-out-of-college job hunters, all else IS practically equal. Most everybody’s got a college diploma, a good-but-not-great GPA, and a little bit of rinky-dink experience. And that’s it. Nobody has much, if any, significant past job experience to separate themselves from everybody else.

When everyone is practically equally qualified, large employers would rather hire women and minorities. And they do.

It’s a tough deal when you walk into the room, look around and see that seven out of 12 interviewees are women/minorities and that you need to BEAT all of them just to have a shot. You can’t just match them, or they’ll get the offer. There are two slots available, and you’re starting off in eighth place at best.

I’m fully aware that women and minorities in the past experienced this exact same situation, and perhaps it’s ‘fair’, from a broader perspective, to let them have a go in which they get the poll position advantage. But that doesn’t make the pill any easier to swallow.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
I hate it how we used to have all of the power, but now we only have most of the power.

That’s racist.

White people being in power helps me no more than a black man in power helps black people (lest the leaders are racist).[/quote]

Lol, that was a quote from American dad.

[quote]PB-Crawl wrote:
they are already doing this with doctors in the US, because populations are so heavily stacked towards whites and Asians. But its more or less to encourage other groups to move towards the medical field.

but theres a little more reason beyond “equality.” Having a diverse population of doctors (and staff at any company that works with a volume of clients) helps to improve patient communication, understanding, blah blah.

theres still parts of the world where TB is considered an evil spirit, and white doctors wondered why the people just threw away the free TB medicine.[/quote]

You’re right with the positives associated with diversity and communication. But when a disproprortionate amount of a certain race are in the mandatory review sessions due to previous exam failures, there is a problem. Being medically competent is a lot more important than being able to communicate well.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

You couldn’t handle the bush, mate.

But seriously, the article was about the State of Victoria not Australia.

I’m safe in Queensland (also currently working in Tasmania).

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
I hate it how we used to have all of the power, but now we only have most of the power.

That’s racist.

White people being in power helps me no more than a black man in power helps black people (lest the leaders are racist).

[/quote]

My point still stands.

People get the government they deserve. You got retards running yours? You know what to do.

[quote]Spry wrote:
slimjim wrote:
Fuck it, time to invade Australia and spread our freedom

You couldn’t handle the bush, mate.

But seriously, the article was about the State of Victoria not Australia.

I’m safe in Queensland (also currently working in Tasmania).

[/quote]

No, you couldn’t handle the Bush!!!

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Hell no!

What do they have that we want? Deadly snakes, deadly spiders, and deadly ants all surrounded by an ocean containing deadly jellyfish? No thank you!

They can keep Australia.

P.S.

Kangaroos are mean, dirty animals too… we have been brainwashed by cartoons and Olivia Neuton John that Australia isn’t just for criminals anymore.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:

That’s racist.

My point still stands.
[/quote]

Cool,

Thanks for letting me know that your rebuttal of my joke still stands.

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I hope whoever sponsors this stuff is about to go into major surgery, looks at the surgeon who says: “Hey, I got in because of your law, man! There were many people way more qualified than me, but they were white males. I made mostly C’s and D’s, but thank God for your affirmative actions policies!!”

“Here comes the scalpel, baby!!!”

Lets just ignore that the LAST FEW HUNDRED YEARS have been full of “Hey, I got in because I’m white, there were many people way more qualified than me, but they were women, or black, or had a criminal record. I made mostly C’s and became POTUS!”

…[/quote]

So you’re plan is to the opposite for a couple hundred years then we’ll call it even?