T Nation

Discovery Channel & Vatican Team for Exorcism Series

Since there is so much Catholic-talk in this forum, what do you guys think of this?
As a non-believer (in demons), I think it will either be really interesting or really lame.
We will see.....

Exclusive: Discovery, Catholic Church team for exorcism series
by James Hibberd

Discovery Channel is teaming with the Vatican for an unprecedented new series hunting the deadliest catch of all: Demons.

The Exorcist Files will recreate stories of real-life hauntings and demonic possession, based on cases investigated by the Catholic Church. The project includes access into the Vaticans case files, as well as interviews with the organizations top exorcists... religious experts who are rarely seen on television.

The Vatican is an extraordinarily hard place to get access to, but we explained we are not going to try to tell people what to think, says Discovery president and GM Clark Bunting.

Bunting says the investigators believe a demon can inhabit an inanimate object (like a home) or a person. The network executive says he was initially skeptical when first meeting the team but was won over after more than three hours of talks.

The work these folks do, and their conviction in their beliefs, make for fascinating stories, Bunting says.

If the shows first season is successful, the network hopes its partnership with the Church will pave the way for producers GoGo Luckey to take the series to the next level â?? joining Catholic investigators on live demon-purging ride-alongs. (Move over, Syfys Ghost Hunters.)

Exorcist Files marks one of two new series coming to the network and first reported by EW. The other is the intriguing Disappeared (working title), produced by Pilgrim Films, which will test whether its possible to really go off the grid, as contestants ditch their identities and attempt to hide anywhere in the world from a team of trackers. More details on Disappeared here.

The Exorcist Files will debut this spring on Discovery Channel; an exact date has not yet been set.

Thanks, I'll definately check those out when they are released.

As a believer (in demons) I think it'll be really interesting AND really lame.

Correct, I have been to an exorcist (not for me) and 95% of what they do is pray. Although I was outside a room where a person for real was possessed...scariest thing I have ever heard in my life.

There is some good exorcist stuff that just came out, books, movies, documentaries, &c. Plus the movie The Rite came out, so I am excited for all this stuff. If you want to read a good book, read Church Militant and Exorcism.

Regarding 'demons':

Let us say that someone has a bothersome thought rattling around his head. A thought like: I'll never amount to anything. I'll never amount to anything. I'm a loser, so I'll never amount to anything.

I would put that in the so-called 'demon' category (using a Biblical term). That thought should be recognized as a lie, pulled up by the roots and cast out, so the host is no longer bothered by it.

I don't believe in separate demon entities, spawned by Satan, floating around looking for a host to inhabit.

Any so-called 'demons' are mental neuroses. Some weak, some strong. Some mildly entrenched, some deeply entrenched.

Chris, what did you hear that make you scared?
Does the demon knew dark secrets of the priests or else?

What I find fascinating is how faith works in all of this. I don't believe there are actual demons, but I do believe that the human mind is incredibly resourceful. If someone is suffering from a neurosis and believes at some level that the Catholic priest can help him, the power of that belief just might become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The same is true for the potential influence of faith on healing physical ailments, particularly those that are facilitated by a person's mental state. Faith won't cure an amputee, but it just might help a cancer patient.

Haven't you guys seen Fallen with Denzel?

Haven't you guys seen Fallen with Denzel?

How do you know? That is the dumbest website I have ever seen and people take it seriously. I don't even thing the guy who created it thinks it's serious.

I do believe demons exist and I do think at times they posses people, but I thinks rather rare. Temptation and empty promises is the never fail tool of evil, possessions scare the shit out of people... But if anyone would get wind of one it would be the Vatican. I am willing to bet the host and crew will keep a crucifix around their necks whether they believe or not....Just in case...

To my knowledge, there has never been an objectively documented case of an amputee being healed through faith. In my opinion, that's because limbs don't spontaneously regenerate, so believers can't ascribe a divine cause. However, cancer can spontaneously remit, so you see many claims of god healing people with cancer.

Wait til you find yourself in a seriously FUBAR situation, where your life is in danger. I don't mean kinda sorta near death, I am talking about when a medical professional asks you if you want your Last Rites issued. I want to see who you pray to, faith or science.

No atheists in the trenches? You may be right. Then again, I'm an agnostic, not an atheist. I have no problems with praying, if people feel the need. Like I said though, I have yet to see a case of prayer restoring an amputated limb or any other condition which isn't subject to spontaneous recovery.

No, that is not demons. I've seen people possessed, and it's not just a self-doubt. If you ever see a real demon, you won't be doubting then my friend that demons are real.

Yes, I agree it's compelling stuff. It can work for you or against you depending upon where you put your faith.

Couple of things, small Mexican lady, high pitched voice...normally. Well, she had a deep voice, it was deeper than mine, was talking in Latin and Gaelic (the priest was Celtic) and had an incredible knowledge of Catholic teaching/priests background, as well she was described to have above normal strength from her husband.

You obviously haven't met an exorcist...biggest skeptic in the world.

Your logic is still failing forlife.

Self-doubt was just an example. How about an epileptic fit? Or severe paranoia? Schizophrenia? Acute asthma attack? Dementia? Jealousy? Panic attack? They're all 'demons'.