T Nation

Discouraged: Not Growing Like I Should

Let me start by saying that although I am “Discouraged and frustrated,” I don’t plan to stop working out or anything. I’m just looking for a little advice or additional motivation, I guess.

I’m not sure where to begin. I’m 30 years old, 5’-9" and weigh 187lbs. I’ve gained about 20 lbs in the last year and a half or so. I suppose most of it is muscle because while I haven’t lost the 16-ish% bodyfat that I carry, I definately havent gained more.

I’ve been in the 185-189lb range for at least 7 months. I’m stuck. I think I’m losing some fat, or building some muscle, or a combination of both, though. I definately look a little bigger than I have in the past, and I’m definately stronger. Friends that I dont see often notice the difference, which is cool. But I feel like I’m missing something.

Without getting into too much detail, I lift for 40 minutes in the mornings (hard) Mon, Wed, and Fri on an A/B split. A=Vertical push/pull and deads, and B=horizontal push/pull and squats. Tues and Thurs I do medicine ball core work and sandbag work. (Just got a tire, too, for pulling/pushing and sledgehammer work.) I switch the reps/sets each workout. For example, last week was ABA, where A was 5X5 heavy and B was 4X10 less heavy. This week, BAB, where B is 5X5 and A is 4X10.

I think my issue is diet… I dont think I eat enough, but I can’t figure out how to eat more. I get about 2700 calories a day: Fat 132.9, Carbs 145.3, Protein 227.1. Fats from olive and flaxseed oil, fish oil, avocado, etc… carbs from mostly oatmeal, fruit, and milk, and protein from whey, meats and eggs. I dont eat like shit… i just dont eat enough. I work all day, and as it is I’m the only person at the office that blends shakes, has a stash of canned tuna and chicken, keeps jugs of protein and quaker oats under his desk and has Outlook reminders for my snack schedule.

In principle, I feel like I am doing everything right, but I am not growing like I feel I should. What do you guys think?

-I

You answered the question yourself. The issue is diet. You ay you are getting stronger but not gaining weight… thus, no muscle.

There are many ways to eat more. Add olive oil to your shakes. Make your shakes with whole milk or cream. Bring more food to work. I can’t understand how someone plans to gain any decent size by only eating 2700 calories a day. What does your breakfast look like? What about your other meals?

[quote]IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Let me start by saying that although I am “Discouraged and frustrated,” I don’t plan to stop working out or anything. I’m just looking for a little advice or additional motivation, I guess.

I’m not sure where to begin. I’m 30 years old, 5’-9" and weigh 187lbs. I’ve gained about 20 lbs in the last year and a half or so. I suppose most of it is muscle because while I haven’t lost the 16-ish% bodyfat that I carry, I definately havent gained more.

I’ve been in the 185-189lb range for at least 7 months. I’m stuck. I think I’m losing some fat, or building some muscle, or a combination of both, though. I definately look a little bigger than I have in the past, and I’m definately stronger. Friends that I dont see often notice the difference, which is cool. But I feel like I’m missing something.

Without getting into too much detail, I lift for 40 minutes in the mornings (hard) Mon, Wed, and Fri on an A/B split. A=Vertical push/pull and deads, and B=horizontal push/pull and squats. Tues and Thurs I do medicine ball core work and sandbag work. (Just got a tire, too, for pulling/pushing and sledgehammer work.) I switch the reps/sets each workout. For example, last week was ABA, where A was 5X5 heavy and B was 4X10 less heavy. This week, BAB, where B is 5X5 and A is 4X10.

I think my issue is diet… I dont think I eat enough, but I can’t figure out how to eat more. I get about 2700 calories a day: Fat 132.9, Carbs 145.3, Protein 227.1. Fats from olive and flaxseed oil, fish oil, avocado, etc… carbs from mostly oatmeal, fruit, and milk, and protein from whey, meats and eggs. I dont eat like shit… i just dont eat enough. I work all day, and as it is I’m the only person at the office that blends shakes, has a stash of canned tuna and chicken, keeps jugs of protein and quaker oats under his desk and has Outlook reminders for my snack schedule.

In principle, I feel like I am doing everything right, but I am not growing like I feel I should. What do you guys think?

-I[/quote]

Your weight has stayed the same for 7 months and you think you are eating enough?

Could you please walk me through that logic so I can understand how the mind of a stagnant person works?

I hope I’ve eaten 2,700cals by lunch time.

You are eating like someone dieting for a contest not someone trying to gain muscle mass. You also seem confused as to whether you should be working on gaining or losing. You shouldn’t be trying to do both.

-I[/quote]

I didn’t have to finish reading to tell you that if you are not growing then you need to eat more. And 2700 calories aint gonna do it.

You need to eat more. Write down everything you eat, and then increase the portions. You’ll grow if you get enough food.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
You answered the question yourself. The issue is diet. You ay you are getting stronger but not gaining weight… thus, no muscle.

There are many ways to eat more. Add olive oil to your shakes. Make your shakes with whole milk or cream. Bring more food to work. I can’t understand how someone plans to gain any decent size by only eating 2700 calories a day. What does your breakfast look like? What about your other meals?[/quote]

That avatar is the shit.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Der Candy wrote:

There are many ways to eat more. Add olive oil to your shakes. Make your shakes with whole milk or cream. Bring more food to work. I can’t understand how someone plans to gain any decent size by only eating 2700 calories a day. What does your breakfast look like? What about your other meals?

That avatar is the shit.[/quote]

I like yours. I don’t see many pictures of cows on this website without them being in steak-form. It’s refreshing.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:

-I

Your weight has stayed the same for 7 months and you think you are eating enough?

Could you please walk me through that logic so I can understand how the mind of a stagnant person works?

You are eating like someone dieting for a contest not someone trying to gain muscle mass. You also seem confused as to whether you should be working on gaining or losing. You shouldn’t be trying to do both.
[/quote]

In his defense, he did say he doesn’t think he’s eating enough. Of course then he shits the bed by saying he thinks he’s doing everything right.

He’s a chinese finger trap.

Use the fitday.com thing. You can put down everything you eat and it gives you the calories and macronutrient breakdown, it has an activity level calculator that will calculate how many calories you burn a day, etc. It’s free. I’m starting to use it as of a couple of days ago. When everything’s on paper, you can’t make excuses.

[/quote]

I’m definately not trying to lose weight… I was just trying to describe my situation.

Professor X wrote:

I’m definately not trying to lose weight… I was just trying to describe my situation.

[/quote]

I understand that.

I just want you to understand how difficult it is for me to comprehend someone who stays at the same weight for a half a year yet questions whether they are eating enough.

I am still lost on that one.

People destined for success are usually able to see the path without constant guidance.

I am not trying to insult you. I am simply asking why you didn’t ask this question to yourself 7 months ago and then answer it yourself.

You could have gained 20lbs by now if the genetic base is there.

My first guess is that you are after “fitness” and got lost on a “bodybuilding forum”.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I figured it was a food issue. I just find it hard to eat more all day… not sure what else to eat. I already use fitday to monitor my intake.

I already add olive oil and flaxseed oil to everything, but I will switch to whole milk - didnt think of that.

Ballpark daily schedule:
5:45AM - Protein and water on my way to the gym at 5:30AM
7AM - Protein with fat free milk, frozen berries, oatmeal, and flaxseed meal after workout
7:40AM - 2 eggs, some cheese, 3 1200mg fish oil pills, OJ
9AM - Coffee
11:30AM - Whey w milk, oatmeal, flaxseed oil and peanut butter, and a fruit
2PM - rice, home-made guacamole (just avocado, onions, cilantro, tomato, and a little salt) and either a double serving of canned tuna or canned chicken
4PM - 4 slices of turkey and some cheese
7PM - whatever the wife makes. Usually rice, meat of her choice and veggies, with 3 more fish oil pills

Thoughts? What else do you guys bring to work to eat? Maybe if I had some real-life ideas, I’d pack them.

Ballpark daily schedule:
7AM - Protein with fat free milk, frozen berries, oatmeal, and flaxseed meal after workout
9AM - Coffee
2PM - rice, home-made guacamole (just avocado, onions, cilantro, tomato, and a little salt) and either a double serving of canned tuna or canned chicken
7PM - whatever the wife makes. Usually rice, meat of her choice and veggies, with 3 more fish oil pills

Thoughts? What else do you guys bring to work to eat? Maybe if I had some real-life ideas, I’d pack them.
[/quote]

Fat free milk?

Protein and water? For a fucking workout? My guess is you are tired as hell before you even finish that workout.

Rice and canned tuna?

Guy, no one gets big muscles from that. People DIET DOWN like that.

I bring 3 protein shakes and a pound of beef to work with me as that is all I usually have time to get down. That means my meals outside of work have to be more calorically dense.

I was in your situation 3 years ago but at 150lbs. I hit 190lbs in less than a year with low rep heavy weights and food. I kept a detailed log and each week if I didn’t see the scale move I added 500 more calories. Started at a maintenance level of 3,000 and just kept piling on. If you aren’t chewing, you aren’t growing.

There’s ways to sneak calories in if you can’t eat them all, most of them being liquid and shakes, adding things like healthy fats (already mentioned above) and such. Coconut oil in every shake, extra virgin olive oil, natural peanut butter, heavy whipping cream, handfuls of almonds. That stuff adds up fast. Plus, if you’re training hard and heavy, have a pizza on the weekends…

just my 2 cents from someone who did what you seem to want to do. All these guys ain’t lying, and I hate to sound redundant, but…EAT.

from what i read 60% of the post is how you have made gains, not alot, but pretty good, but not so much, but yet really good, basically patting yourself in the back while trying to act discouraged, didnt get it

anyways once that atrocious part of the post was over you admitted to not eating enough?

you can simply eat more carbs which are everywhere, you can eat fast food which is easily available, you can buy mass gainers and eat that as a shake at work (you can find ones from 1000-1500 cals per shake)

if you are afraid of getting a little pudgy then there keep your current diet, nothing wrong with that either, its your choice

i just fail to understand the point of this thread

[quote]Viets wrote:
If you aren’t chewing, you aren’t growing.

[/quote]

I don’t have anything else to say.

Sure I’m after fitness… but if You eat right and workout, that means you are too.

Do I want to compete on stage in a speedo? No. Do I want to get some size on my frame? Yes. Label me whatever you want - I know what forum I’m asking the question on.

The 2700 calories is an improvement from the 2100 that I was eating a year ago, and it’s a safe bet that its the reason I gained those inital 20 pounds and got stronger. I guess I need to step it up again, so I’m looking for a little help from you and some ideas.

No offense to you, X, but you have posted twice and not given me a useful piece of information or advice… and no offense taken.

Sure I’m after fitness… but if You eat right and workout, that means you are too.

Do I want to compete on stage in a speedo? No. Do I want to get some size on my frame? Yes. Label me whatever you want - I know what forum I’m asking the question on.

The 2700 calories is an improvement from the 2100 that I was eating a year ago, and it’s a safe bet that its the reason I gained those inital 20 pounds and got stronger. I guess I need to step it up again, so I’m looking for a little help from you and some ideas.

No offense to you, X, but you have posted twice and not given me a useful piece of information or advice… and no offense taken.[/quote]

If nothing I said was useful, you aren’t worth the effort.

Have a great one!

I definitely agree with increasing your food intake. I don’t know how long you have been on your current program but I would suggest something different if you have been on it for a while. If you couple a new program with more food, you should definitely see some significant progress.

IvanTheTerrible wrote:

Ballpark daily schedule:
9AM - Coffee

Fat free milk?

Protein and water? For a fucking workout? My guess is you are tired as hell before you even finish that workout.

Rice and canned tuna?

Guy, no one gets big muscles from that. People DIET DOWN like that.

I bring 3 protein shakes and a pound of beef to work with me as that is all I usually have time to get down. That means my meals outside of work have to be more calorically dense.
[/quote]

Exactly, you need to add more red meat man. Chicken, turkey and tuna aren’t going to cut it alone. Eat more eggs at breakfast with some ground beef, bacon or sausage. Add walnuts to your diet. For a snack eat 8oz or more of ground beef with cheese.