Disc Herniation/Sciatica

[quote]andersons wrote:
I’m really sorry to hear about your injury and it causing you to miss your football season.

With a disc injury, you need to work on lumbar stability ASAP. You want to get started on bird dog variations and plank variations.

Some helpful articles are listed in the lumbar stability thread:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/the_lumbar_stability_thread

Another recent article with some good stuff is “Making Gains with Pain”:

Especially the One Inch Bird Dog - start there, and do it MULTIPLE times per day.

Also, walk as much as you can. I alternated between walking and laying on the floor on top of an ice pack with my legs up on the bed.

Make sure you DO NOT bend or flex or compress the spine. Give it a chance to heal. Use the golfer’s lift when you have to pick stuff up off the floor. I would not recommend yoga because there are too many postures with spinal flexion.

I personally had no success with chiropractic or ART for my disc injury. I do believe in taking all the pain meds a doctor is willing to give, in order to reduce muscle spasm and avoid ongoing central sensitization to pain.

These discs take quite a while to heal. I had severe pain and disability for 3 months, and chronic pain for several years, but my rehab was interrupted by a chronic illness. The average healing time is 6 months, I believe.

With proper rehab, you should be able to do everything you want to do once again, though you might have to modify your training and activities somewhat. For example, perfect form is no longer just a good idea, it’s an absolute necessity.[/quote]

Are you able to squat now? I’m hoping my chiro can fix this problem. He says he can, but I have doubts.