I’ve just picked up disc golf and want to get a program together to tailor towards the sport. Currently, I like 3x/week lifting, and 2-3x/week yoga/conditioning/other. From my research, the key attributes are Explosiveness, Flexibility/Elasticity, and Rotational strength, not necessarily in that order. It’s less about overall power, and more about timing and acceleration.
I’m trying to put together a program but am not entirely sure how to sequence the exercises or set them up throughout the week. I’m uncertain as to if I should be splitting the strength day, and doing strength + rotation or explosiveness on each lifting day. Below is what I’ve got so far, and would greatly appreciate any tips or rearrangement you might be able to suggest! Thanks!
Monday - Conditioning & Flexibility.
- 30 Min bike, 10 steady, 10 sprint (30s on/30s rest), 10 steady.
- 20-30 min Yoga
Tuesday - Strength
- DB RDL - 3 x 12
- Back Squat - 4x8
- Chin up variant - 4 x 8/failure
- DB Chest Press - 3 x 8-10
- Arnold Press - 3 x 8 - 10
- Curl Variant - 3 x 10-12 superset with TRX Tricep Extension
Wednesday - Conditioning & Flexibility.
- 30 Min bike, 10 steady, 10 sprint, 10 steady.
- 20-30 min Yoga
- 30 - 45 min Swim
Thursday & Saturday or Sunday - Here’s where I get lost. Repeat of Strength day, or, Explosiveness/Rotational Day
- Here is where I want to incorporate a few more complex exercises and/or core work but am unsure how to program them in. This is just a brain dump of the exercises I’m considering:
- Hang/Power Clean
- DB Snatch
- Turkish Get Up
- One Arm DB row with Twist
- Plank Shoulder touches
- Hanging Knee Circles
- Wood choppers
- Underhanded/Side Med Ball Slams against wall
- Russian Twist
- Standing Landmine Russian Twist
- Walking Lunge with Twist
- Any kettlebell suggestions welcome
Friday – Rest or Yoga
Saturday or Sunday – Second lifting/explosive/rotational day
Other of Saturday or Sunday – Rest