T Nation

Disappointing Progress, Almost 3 Years

Hi guys , well as the title says , I have been training since Dec 2012

Yet I made little to no progress [ Image in attachment ]

I believe this is due to not following the program to the T [ I was doing 5x5 but not resetting the weight after plateau ] and not following a good diet [ protien is not that high and was cutting for like 1 year ] .

my stats are :

176 cm [5.7]
6 inch wrist [ tiny :frowning: ]
77 KG [170lb]
26 year old
18% body fat
arms 14 inch flexed :frowning:
bench 70 Kg for 7 reps

I need an advice guys , any advice that would actually make me look like I lift .

My questions are :

1) what is the best routine for my experience level , I kinda liked candito strength\hypertrophy but is it good for me good ? or sould I go back to 5x5 ?

2) Am I actually still a novice ?

3) Can I build muscle and lose fat at the same time if i am at tiny deficit [ 100 cals ] because I don't look like I have built any huge amount of muscle yet,or should I cut to 10% and then do slow bulk ?

4) Or would it be best to eat at maintenance and build muscle because i am overweight ?

Any advice is appreciated .

Thanks in advance

So you admit to not following the program, and for 2 of the 3 years you were cutting.

Start there, do the the exact opposite. Come back in 3 years.

OK , but do you think I should run 5x5 again or an upper\lower routine ?

also should I bulk or cut or recomp ?

Thank you

You're putting too much emphasis on programming and not enough on effort.

There is no magical combination of sets and reps that will get you the results you want. Pick a program you like and bust your ass on it. Eat WELL (don't bulk, cut, recomp, IIFYM, carb nite, carb backload, paleo, IF, Warrior Diet, atkins, veagan, keto, etc).

Use this as a structure

https://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/simple-diet

I like Pwnisher's notes above. In addition:

1) what is the best routine for my experience level , I kinda liked candito strength\hypertrophy but is it good for me good ? or sould I go back to 5x5 ?

5/3/1 would probably be a good starting point for you at this juncture.

2) Am I actually still a novice ?

There's no definitive way for any of us to answer this, as there's no time stamp on advancing to various levels of development. But considering that you only listed your bench press and such, probably yes.

3) Can I build muscle and lose fat at the same time if i am at tiny deficit [ 100 cals ] because I don't look like I have built any huge amount of muscle yet,or should I cut to 10% and then do slow bulk ?

Training/lifting is generally a long journey. You should go the route that you think that you will enjoy pursuing. Either is a viable option, and either will take a long time.

4) Or would it be best to eat at maintenance and build muscle because i am overweight ?

You are not overweight. You don't look bad. You're just a weak guy as things go--bench pressing 70kg for 7 after three years of training is not a signal of having made significant progress. You probably frankly just don't know quite what you're doing at it pertains to really exerting yourself, taking care of the other 23 hours of the day in terms of sleep and such, etc.

You have to find what works for you. When you make progress one week, try to understand what made you progress and build from there. That's how you take a program and tweak it a bit and develop your own thing. Don't burn yourself, you might make progress if you train alot but it's not going to work in the long run.

Everyone has already got it covered.

Besides, you already know what you did wrong. Go back and fix that. You'll get the results. Simple. Not necessarily easy, but simple.

Thank you very much everyone , appreciate the feed backs

I cannot recommend Candito's strength training program ahead of SL 5x5 (I assume that's what you mean) enough.

Just stick with it for 6 months and don't freak out if you stall a cycle. It has instructions on how to deal with that.

Pay attention because I know exactly what your problem is.

You need to bulk my friend, and by bulk I mean you need a CALORIC EXCESS so you put on weight. You know why you have no muscle after three years? Well think about it - the whole time your body hasn't had enough nutrients to build muscle.

And to anyone else in a similar position - it's not the program, it's what you put into it. People think they aren't getting gains cause they didn't follow a program to the T when really it's something else like diet or effort.

Look. Compound exercises. Base your program on that. So one day is based on squat, another based on bench, another on rows, etc. As long as that's the 'meat and potatoes' of your program, you're progressively adding weight over time in different rep ranges, and you eat enough, you WILL put on mass.

Also just a tip, I recommend you drink milk throughout the day for extra calories and protein.