T Nation

Disappearing for a Little While

So I’m in between jobs right now and was thinking about doing some traveling, hate to waste this time laying on the couch. Just curious if anyone out there has ever just bought a plane ticket to somewhere overseas and kind of dropped off the grid for a little while. I am just looking for ideas of where to go, some place with lots of interesting stuff to see, some good nightlife action, good food and cheap places to crash!

You’ve done a good job of “disappearing for a little while” here.

I mean, 3 posts since 2006?

LOL

Do it. If you can swing it financially, don’t have outstanding bills etc., absolutely you should do it.

Escaping somewhere is a great way to gain new perspective & learn more about yourself.

You only live once after all. Send us a postcard!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
You’ve done a good job of “disappearing for a little while” here.

I mean, 3 posts since 2006?

LOL

[/quote]

HAHA Yeah its been a little while

Dont plan, just go.

Look around, talk to people.

[quote]orion wrote:
Dont plan, just go.

Look around, talk to people.[/quote]

Nothing bad has ever happened to anyone who followed this advice.

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Just curious if anyone out there has ever just bought a plane ticket to somewhere overseas and kind of dropped off the grid for a little while.![/quote]

Me. Is it worth it? I don’t know.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Just curious if anyone out there has ever just bought a plane ticket to somewhere overseas and kind of dropped off the grid for a little while.![/quote]

Me. Is it worth it? I don’t know.[/quote]

Outstanding insight. You should post more often.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Just curious if anyone out there has ever just bought a plane ticket to somewhere overseas and kind of dropped off the grid for a little while.![/quote]

Me. Is it worth it? I don’t know.[/quote]

Where did you go? Might try to stay away from there haha

Doing some looking around and Croatia sounds like it might be a good direction to head, anyone ever been there?

[quote]orion wrote:
Dont plan, just go.

Look around, talk to people.[/quote]

Have you ever traveled that way and if so where did you go? I was kinda thinking I would just buy my round trip plane ticket and then figure the rest out once I got there

I also moved to an exotic, intriguing place on the other side of the world and dropped off the grid.

               [i]via mobile from Starbucks, ZhongShan Rd LuChangLi Taipei[/i]

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Doing some looking around and Croatia sounds like it might be a good direction to head, anyone ever been there?[/quote]

I go there every couple months. Great in the summer for beaches and weather, although can be crowded. People are friendly, women are nice looking but can be aloof. Zagreb is nice city, but a little dull if you are not college age or don’t speak Hrvatski. Opatjia on the north Adriatic or some of the bigger islands are where the europeans gather for the all night party action, etc. I’m actually heading there this Sunday.

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
So I’m in between jobs right now and was thinking about doing some traveling, hate to waste this time laying on the couch. Just curious if anyone out there has ever just bought a plane ticket to somewhere overseas and kind of dropped off the grid for a little while. I am just looking for ideas of where to go, some place with lots of interesting stuff to see, some good nightlife action, good food and cheap places to crash![/quote]

I did the same thing when I got out of the Army many years ago. Moved to Amsterdam and spent about a year and a half there before returning to the US. Highly recommended, lets me accept living in crummier places now because I don’t feel like I’ve missed out seeing different places.

[quote]comus3 wrote:

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Doing some looking around and Croatia sounds like it might be a good direction to head, anyone ever been there?[/quote]

I go there every couple months. Great in the summer for beaches and weather, although can be crowded. People are friendly, women are nice looking but can be aloof. Zagreb is nice city, but a little dull if you are not college age or don’t speak Hrvatski. Opatjia on the north Adriatic or some of the bigger islands are where the europeans gather for the all night party action, etc. I’m actually heading there this Sunday. [/quote]

So what is the weather like there and when does the vacation season and parties start getting decent? Whats the attitude there like towards Americans?

[quote]comus3 wrote:

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Doing some looking around and Croatia sounds like it might be a good direction to head, anyone ever been there?[/quote]

I go there every couple months. Great in the summer for beaches and weather, although can be crowded. People are friendly, women are nice looking but can be aloof. Zagreb is nice city, but a little dull if you are not college age or don’t speak Hrvatski. Opatjia on the north Adriatic or some of the bigger islands are where the europeans gather for the all night party action, etc. I’m actually heading there this Sunday. [/quote]

I’m off to Dubrovnik in August for part of hoeymoon, any good?

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Doing some looking around and Croatia sounds like it might be a good direction to head, anyone ever been there?[/quote]

I go there every couple months. Great in the summer for beaches and weather, although can be crowded. People are friendly, women are nice looking but can be aloof. Zagreb is nice city, but a little dull if you are not college age or don’t speak Hrvatski. Opatjia on the north Adriatic or some of the bigger islands are where the europeans gather for the all night party action, etc. I’m actually heading there this Sunday. [/quote]

So what is the weather like there and when does the vacation season and parties start getting decent? Whats the attitude there like towards Americans?[/quote]

Weather is nice right now, almost 70, but the sea doesn’t really warm up until the summer. Parties get going about June, with August being packed with the european youth. I thikn generally Americans are well liked, they have a lot of tourists and everyone has a fair amount of experience with foreigners. Sometimes you see some rolling eyes at restaurants if someone is giving the staff shit, but those people tend to be Europeans. Americans are usually really polite when compared to others.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Doing some looking around and Croatia sounds like it might be a good direction to head, anyone ever been there?[/quote]

I go there every couple months. Great in the summer for beaches and weather, although can be crowded. People are friendly, women are nice looking but can be aloof. Zagreb is nice city, but a little dull if you are not college age or don’t speak Hrvatski. Opatjia on the north Adriatic or some of the bigger islands are where the europeans gather for the all night party action, etc. I’m actually heading there this Sunday. [/quote]

I’m off to Dubrovnik in August for part of hoeymoon, any good?[/quote]

On a cruise or staying in city? Dubrovnik is a beautiful city, can get really crowded in August. Sometimes busloads of tourists moving aroung together. Water will be warm but if you want a beach you have to go out of town a little bit. Food is great, fresh seafood and italian. Activity there tends to be drinking coffee, although I’m sure some clubs pop up in the summer. Across the bay is the smaller town of Cavtat where you can dive some submerged roman(greek?) ruins. I think its one of the best towns in the mediterranean in terms of beauty and history. I don’y know anyone who has regretted visiting.

[quote]comus3 wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:

[quote]Octane1982 wrote:
Doing some looking around and Croatia sounds like it might be a good direction to head, anyone ever been there?[/quote]

I go there every couple months. Great in the summer for beaches and weather, although can be crowded. People are friendly, women are nice looking but can be aloof. Zagreb is nice city, but a little dull if you are not college age or don’t speak Hrvatski. Opatjia on the north Adriatic or some of the bigger islands are where the europeans gather for the all night party action, etc. I’m actually heading there this Sunday. [/quote]

I’m off to Dubrovnik in August for part of hoeymoon, any good?[/quote]

On a cruise or staying in city? Dubrovnik is a beautiful city, can get really crowded in August. Sometimes busloads of tourists moving aroung together. Water will be warm but if you want a beach you have to go out of town a little bit. Food is great, fresh seafood and italian. Activity there tends to be drinking coffee, although I’m sure some clubs pop up in the summer. Across the bay is the smaller town of Cavtat where you can dive some submerged roman(greek?) ruins. I think its one of the best towns in the mediterranean in terms of beauty and history. I don’y know anyone who has regretted visiting. [/quote]

Yer, its good. A little bit touristy, but good. Make sure you get a cevapcici roll, and wash it down with a karlovacko.

Man, im so hungry.

tweet

We’ll miss you man.