Disadvantages of Using Dumbells?

This is a little off topic but I can never get over ronnie colemans voice… you just expect something deeper coming out of somebody that large and strong

not sure if it was mentioned, but the DBell press will make you strong at the Dbell press, and will not help you strengthen (to a great degree) your flat bench. depends on your goals really- but safety is important.

[quote]BigHog wrote:
This is a little off topic but I can never get over ronnie colemans voice… you just expect something deeper coming out of somebody that large and strong[/quote]

I think the same thing everytime Tyson opens his mouth

Thread is starting to get off track, can anyone give their opinion on my last post? Like i said im not concerned with strength, im concerned with chest developement, granted those go together to some par, but i am worried that doing DB all the time wont give me as good or as fast of developement of my chest.

if you just want to get big dumbbells are fine

fuck so are machines

getting strong and big are the same thing but really there are diff methods.

[quote]JeffMerr wrote:
Thread is starting to get off track, can anyone give their opinion on my last post? Like i said im not concerned with strength, im concerned with chest developement, granted those go together to some par, but i am worried that doing DB all the time wont give me as good or as fast of developement of my chest.[/quote]

To answer your question directly:

dumbbell bench presses, all sorts of cable flyes, weighted chain suspended pushups (blast straps if you buy them), dips.

I never got that much out of flat barbell bench for my pecs cause I’ve always had strong shoulders and they take over waaaaay before my pecs felt it, i’d have to go into the 15 rep range.

incline press thats another matter tho

You kinda have to tailor it to yourself man… experiment till u find what works…

You worry too much. No matter what you’re doing, if you’re lifting consistently, eating enough and resting enough you’re gonna grow.

You’re never gonna know if you could’ve gotten faster results or not, so why bother?

Adding size is mainly about caloric intake, so I’d be stressing about that before BBs Vs DBs issues.

Ok, what is your guys opinion on doing BB press with the smith machine? Im guessing a big no no?

LIGHT WEIGHT BABY.

It’s obviously going to be easier with a Smith machine because you don’t need to use stabilizers as much (at all?). If I were you, I’d stick with DB’s and maybe use the Smith machine sometimes to mix things up. You should be able to go really fucking heavy on the Smith machine.

Posters have pretty much already answered your question. DB’s work just as well as the BB for gaining strength or mass.

[quote]eiverson wrote:
It’s obviously going to be easier with a Smith machine because you don’t need to use stabilizers as much (at all?). If I were you, I’d stick with DB’s and maybe use the Smith machine sometimes to mix things up. You should be able to go really fucking heavy on the Smith machine.

Posters have pretty much already answered your question. DB’s work just as well as the BB for gaining strength or mass. [/quote]

One thing people don’t usually take into account with smith machines or any machine/cable system is that the acceleration and speed of the eccentric drops considerably.

I just discovered T-Nation a few weeks ago and have been reading the forums. The people that post seem very knowledgeable.

My question:

Do you barbell bench more than your dumbbell bench?

If so, approximately how much more? Percentage would be helpful.

I am just curious because I have not done BB bench for many years. My BB bench back in the day used to be highly unsymmetrical and I decided to switch to DB to even myself out. Over the years I’ve become accustomed to DB and pretty much use DB for everything except squats and deadlifts.

Recently, I have been working out with friend who do BB bench press so started to mess around with it too. I don’t push myself as hard at BB as I do at DB because it BB lift feels unnatural to me for some reason. I lift slightly less or the same as DB. The BB bench press feels quite different.

I’d be interested in listening to anybody’s BB/DB stories.