T Nation

Dirty Gerdy Training Log

After a very long absence I've decided I want some forum activity back in my life.

I'm not looking to argue about my methods. I'm here to post what I do and why. If it helps you then cool if it doesn't and you know more than me cool. Do you and I'll do me. Having said that, I'm open to criticism. We can always learn.

For those of you that don't know me. I've been bodybuilding since I was 18 yrs old with the NPC and I started powerlifting at 20. I now currently lift with the USPA and hold the CA State Squat record in the 242's at 622lbs and the National Deadlift record at 722lbs. I hit both at a bodyweight of 231. I have a shitty bench I'm fixing. My best meet bench is 355. I'm looking to push into the low to mid 4's soon. I'm no Dan Green lol but I am striving to be the best I can and push my body to the limit.

My methods include bodybuilding and powerlifting principles. My training style rarely changes...I just change the weights and rep ranges based on whether or not I'm powerlifting or bodybuilding. I believe in a big compound lift focused on strength and pr's follow by a volume/feel/bodybuilding style of training with accessory lifts. I'm a genetic freak regarding staying lean, etc. I am the stereotype of a "hardgainer". I'm not a natural athlete. I currently walk around at 6' 230-235 with abs and am only running 500mg of test per week. I blast and cruise now. If you don't know what that means then hit the chem forum.

I used to post here a few years ago. I'm sort of a vet possibly lol I knew more than the average guy then but I really was just a dumbass kid that liked to read...now I'm less of a dumbass with the same passion for this stuff and a few years older and stronger lol :wink:

I'm hoping to be an addition here to help others as well as continue to learn myself.

cheers!

722lb deadlift at bodyweight 231

I'm doing the socal champioships by uspa this coming september. I'll be calling this "road to metroflex" lol

Road to Metroflex Squat 1

Today was the first day back to putting some decent weight on the squat bar. I did some dynamic warm ups and got after it. Here is the aftermath?

Squat
135×15
225×12
315×10
405×8
495×4
*I wanted to hit my top set by 3-5. I got 4 therefore I?m happy?but I?m not satisfied. I wanted 5 reps but didn?t push the last rep out since I didn?t have a spotter.

Here is my top set 495×4.

Front Squats
135×10
225×8
315×8
*I wanted to get another couple sets in but I was feeling pretty fatigued by this point. I thought it was wise not to push it balls to the wall here at this point in my training. The more experienced you become with lifting the more you start to listen to your body. Just make sure you aren?t being a fucking pussy about things?sometimes you have to force your body to kick ass. Being I had already kicked ass today?I thought it wise to chill on those sets. After a few weeks I will push through.

Bulgarian Split Squats
+35lb x 15 each leg
+35lb x 15 each leg
bodyweight x 25 each leg
*This is a movement I want to incorporate more of. I have never done these with frequency. I wanted to leg press but the leg press machine was broken :frowning: So I improvised.

Calves
I hate calves so just pick an exercise and make it hurt.
*I always hit my calves before my hamstrings. When my hams are pumped they tend to cramp up and feel awkward on my calf movements.

Lying Hamstring curl
90 x 15
100 x 12
110 x 10
*I wanted 5 sets but after set three I started cramping so I stretched out and went home.

Road to Metroflex bench 1

Today was the first day back benching with any sort of intensity in months! As a matter of fact it?s been over a year since I?ve really pushed it due to some shoulder issues that I?ve since resolved. I?ll cut it short?I?m pissed at how weak I am and am extremely motivated to bring my bench press up.

BENCH
135×10
135×10
185×8
225×8
275×5
315×1 (with 1 more needing a spot)
331 x 1 controlled negative
275 x 3
225 x 8
*I wanted to progress in weight up to 315 and see how many I could rep it by. I was hoping I would at least be able to rep it for 2-3 reps and wow was I wrong. The first one was a struggle and I shouldn?t have attempted the second?but my ego wouldn?t let me be that weak. Unfortunately I am that weak?for now?and I have a drive to bring my bench back up and then some. I?ve always wanted to incorporate a heavy negative at the end of my bench day. Sometimes getting in a habit of feeling a weight that?s ?too heavy? and controlling the negative will build strength. If nothing more, it helps to build confidence in that you can control the weight. You don?t feel like it?s going to crush you. I then did a little pyramid down. I will be doing a lot of bench sets in the upcoming weeks. Repetition is what builds habit. Right now I have to think about form. When you?re approaching the platform come meet day the last thing you want to do is think about form?you just want to react. A basketball player doesn?t think about how to dribble?they just become one with the ball. I need to be one with the bench again :wink:

PIN PRESS IN POWER RACK
135×10
225×12
315xfail (*I was pissed at how weak I was)
275×3
225×5
*This movement requires a power rack, pins, and an adjustable bench. Set the bench in the power rack and the pins to set the bar at your tricep sticking point. Each rep should come to a dead stop on the bar. Moving the weight during the tricep dominant portion of the bench press from a dead stop is a great way to improve tricep strength. Considering that the triceps are one of the dominant muscles in the bench press?I consider this movement a necessity.

PUSH PRESS
135×10
135×10
135×10
115×8
*This is technically a ?shoulder? movement and an olympic weight movement. I?ve always believed that one of the best ways to improve the bench press is to get really strong at pushing heavy shit above your head. I?ve also always had shitty shoulder flexibility. Let?s put it this way?I suck at these. This is why I?m doing them. They force me to improve my shoulder and wrist flexibility. They will increase my deltoid and tricep size for bodybuilding. They will increase my strength on the bench press. You also look like a badass when you increase in weight. People don?t lift heavy anymore?and they certainly don?t lift heavy over their heads.

WIDE GRIP CABLE ROW
150×10
220×10
300 (full stack) x 10
*I will forever include rear delt/upper back rowing movements on my chest day. This is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to keep the shoulders healthy through the years. The pecs get tight messing with the range of motion of the shoulder as well as the posture of the upper body. A good way to counteract that is to strengthen the muscles antagonistic (opposite) to the pecs. Let?s also be real?a big back is fucking cool.

Dumbbell Row
100×10 each arm
3 sets
*I will be increasing in weight in the near future and will probably replace these with Kroc Rows.

DEADLIFT

Today was a very productive day. I took friday-monday off from the gym as I moved into a new apartment. It wasn?t really rest and I worried my training would suffer but I pushed through and hit my numbers. Here is how it went down.

Deadlift
135×10
225×10
315×8
405×5
495×3
605×4
*I was going to failure with 605 and felt I had another 2-3 reps in me. Unfortunately I drank too many fluids prior to training and on my 2nd rep I threw up a little in my mouth. Angry, and not wanting to waste my top set I finished two more but couldn?t proceed without projectile vomiting so I called it. I wanted at least 3 reps and was shooting for 5+ so 4 is acceptable but not ideal. I do train double overhand with straps to avoid muscle imbalances in my back. I don?t have a grip problem. At about 4-6 weeks out from the meet I will switch to no straps and mixed grip training to get the habit back for the meet.

ZERCHER FROM THE PINS
135×10
225×8
315×6
405×4
495×1
*I love this exercise. It?s great to do from the pins because you have to break inertia. There is no rebound effect like a squat where the muscle will stretch and you can use the flex of the bar to move the weight etc. With this movement the weight will move or you?ll look funny struggling under the bar resting on the pins. I feel this movement hammers my mid/upper traps as well as my glutes?it also has some minor quad and hamstring activation. This is one of my favorite deadlift assistance exercises. You also look like a badass and it?s somewhat sadistic when you have people training with you

*Key points for the Zercher
-set the pins so that the bottom of the lift has the legs roughly at parallel.
-use a sumo stance
-chest up and bar as close to the body as possible. This keeps the force driving down and keeps the weight on the traps and shoulders. If you let your chest fall down or shoot your ass up then the force drives down and forward pulling on your biceps and forearms. It will hurt like a motherfucker, run the risk of injury, and ruin the purpose of the movement. KEEP YOUR CHEST UP AND THE BAR CLOSE!
-fight the negative. Don?t be super gently but don?t drop the weight on the pins.
-each rep is from a dead stop?don?t bounce it off the pins. That?s bitching out on the movement. Let the weight rest and explode up again.

SHRUGS
All for reps of 10.
I did a pyramid from 135-585 then back down to 135.

CABLE ROW
Narrow Neutral Grip
150×15
200×12
250×10
Wide Neutral Grip
150×12
160×10

Calves
You know my take on calves?we did standing today?but it doesn?t matter just pick something and make it hurt.

Lying Hamstring Curl
90×10
100×10
110×10
100×10
*I wanted one more set but I got a hammy pump that started cramping so I called it a day. I?m breaking myself back into this exercise and working on hamstring flexibility. This should alleviate the cramping issue soon.

Road to Metroflex Bench 2 and Squat 2

Sorry for the delay. The past week has been busy. I missed an accessory day for the fourth of July but made sure to get my mandatory lifts in. Here they are?

Bench
PinPress
135×10
225×8
315×3
315×3
*I didn?t have a spotter today and the only bench in the gym was taken. I decided to hit pin press and I PR?d compared to last week. I need to work on tricep lockout strength anyways.

Push Press
135×10
155×8
185×6
185×6
*I?m liking the progress that I?ve been making on this lift. I?ve never made overhead pressing a priority in my training and I believe that this will not only increase my bench but it will help with bodybuilding as well. My delts and upper back need some density and I believe this to be the movement to do it.
*The rest was rushed on the day and not worthy to note.

SQUAT DAY
*This is two days later
SQUAT
135×10
225×10
315×8
405×5
495×5
515×4
*I pr?d on my 495 and my 515 set.

Front Squat
135×5
225×5
315×5
365×3
*365 is a front squat PR and I?m very excited to be back up to repping 405.

Leg Press
(*pps = plates per side)
3ppsx25
4ppsx25
5ppsx25
6ppsx25
*I like tossing in high volume leg presses. This will build the legs, increase the squat strength, and is an excellent accessory lift for the deadlift.

Calves
I hate calves?you know my philosophy. Just do something and make it hurt.

Lying Hamstring Curl
*I missed this workout today. I was pretty wiped after the workout and was in a rush to finish a few things before we closed at the shop.

Road to Metroflex Deadlift 3

Deadlift
135×10
225×10
315×8
405×5
495×3
645×3
*My last set was fairly easy. I had some gas left in the tank but I don?t need to push things to failure yet. This is progress compared to last week and that is all that matters at this stage in the game.

Zercher
135×10
225×8
315×8
405×5
495×3
*My last set last week was 495×1. I may have been able to squeeze a few more reps in the last set here but again?it?s more than last week and that is all that matters.

Shrugs
225×10
315×10
405×10
495×10
-Strip set x 10 each set all the way back down to 135 with no rest between sets?only enough rest to strip the plates.
*My traps have been growing since tossing in direct trap work. I?m excited as that was an area to improve for bodybuilding and the thicker the traps get the better all 3 of the powerlifts will be. A thicker mid/upper back shortens the range of motion on the bench, stabilizes the spine on the squat, and gives some stability and pulling power for the deadlift. Get YOKED.

Dumbbell Row
150lbs x 10 reps from a dead stop each arm.
2 sets
*This is a switch from the last couple weeks where I?ve been doing cable rows. I haven?t done heavy dumbbell rows in a while. If the gym had heavier dumbbells I would have gone higher. I?ll just have to do more sets and/or reps next week.

Calves
*Pick something and make it hurt

Lying Hamstring Curl
90×10
100×10
110×10
120×8
*more volume and weight from previous weeks!

So far so good!

Sorry for the lag guys!

I wasn?t happy with any of my recent workouts. I?ll keep this short and sweet. I increased my numbers on the bench. I?m now repping 315 x 2-3 reps again. It?s been months since I?ve done any heavy benching due to my weak right shoulder. Things are feeling good and I feel like I can make some progress coming up. I have another 8 weeks before my meet in September.

As far as the squat I went to LA Fitness in Woodland Hills. This gym is sufficient for bodybuilding but squat over 500lbs and the bars can?t take it. I didn?t PR because I didn?t feel safe and confident with the bars bouncing on my back.

I?ve switched up my routine a bit. My new split looks like this:

mon bench
tues dead
wed shoulder/tri work
thurs squat or rest
fri squat or rest
sat bench form work
sun rest or cardio

onward to deadlifts tonight? I WILL PR on my 645lb set or I?ll set the sights higher and rep a heavier weight depending on how I?m feeling.

Why am I just now seeing this log??

Great to have you back Gerdy! Keep up the damned awesome work, that's a great deadlift you have.

In for the awesome.

I'll be following this, glad that you're posting here again.

Aragorn I just made it today and updated everything lol

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Road to Metroflex Deadlift 4

Overall I was not satisfied with today?s workout but it will suffice.

Deadlift
135×10
225×10
315×5
405×5
495×5
655×2
*The second rep I broke form and it was ugly. I wanted to get this by 3. My prior 3 rep PR is 675. I?m a little behind my former best but not by much. I have 8 weeks to go until meet time.

Zercher
135×10
225×10
315×10
405×10
*I opted for a little more volume this time instead of tackling my 495lb rep PR. My lower back was a little tight from breaking form on the 2nd 655lb deadlift.

Shrugs
405×10
495×10
405×10
315×10
*pyramid up and down starting with 405. The only rest between sets was to take a plate off.

I deviated from my traditional workout after the shrugs as my lower back couldn?t take it anymore. I hit two of the HS machines. One low row and one pulldown. I only worked up to 2-3 plates per side and hit it in the 12-15 rep range with a squeeze. I was training like a bodybuilder. I skipped calves and hams today and called it.

Hey buddy! :D! :wink:

Good to see you posting in here again.

I'm liking the jack3d and tan that you're bringing to Powerlifting.

You do zerchers? Your conditioning is off.

But seriously, following this.

Very impressive figs and physique.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but how do you approach nutrition? What do you eat/when/etc and advice you would give please.

Could you post up a recent bench vid?

I've followed your Youtube channel for awhile, and remember seeing that you bench flat-footed without much of an arch. Is this a personal preference just as in that's the way you feel strongest? Or have you tried more the other styles and just not liked them?

Do you bench in your Adipowers? I'm about to get a pair, just curious if you like them for things other then Squatting.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can get to!

Definitely following. I need more volume, learned a lesson today!

No worries man! Well I like to follow a lot of the mountain dog principles. I'm a skinny kid genetically. I keep my abs without trying. I do toss in planned cheats almost daily to get my calories up. I frequent The Habit and In N Out Burger a lot lol

The bulk of my diet consists of mostly this:
chicken, steak, hamburger jasmine or basmati rice, yam, mixed greens and fruits, ezekiel bread, almond/pb, fish oil, olive oil, coconut oil, greek yogurt, kefir, protein powder, vitargo.

I'm not dieting at all so I eat junk when I feel I can afford the opportunity but usually avoid artificial bullshit and processed sugars...mostly due to a disease I have called Ulcerative Colitis. Those foods tend to piss it off. lol

Hey man I'll try and make a bench vid next time. I usually don't offer too much bench advice to people since mine sucks compared to my other lifts lol

I am usually flat footed because it feels most stable. I don't arch much because my lower back kills me when I do and I don't feel that I get that much benefit out of it. The awkwardness and pain cancels out any shorter rom.

I've struggled incorporating my lats on the bench for some time but I've been working on it.

The biggest thing that's held me back in the past year or so has been shitty shoulders. Mine have always been weak and painful from years of baseball and years of improper training. I'm chest dominant and until recently I have had weak supporting muscles in my posterior chain. I've been doing shoulder dislocations (broomsticks) damn near daily and tossing in rear delt/upper back work every time I'm in the gym as well.

My new approach to the bench is this:
-flare the elbows more. I life raw and not in a shirt. I don't need to tuck as much and arch as high.
-the only way to shorten my ROM is to thicken up my back/traps and chest.
-Build healthy and strong shoulders
-hit the triceps like a motherfucker (i need to for bodybuilding anyways)

I will be working with a few people in the near future. No big names but some other lifters with raw 500+ benches so I'll see if I can learn a few things from them.

I hit some decent numbers on my bench and accessory day before the last update and now but the workouts were rushed due to life and I don?t feel the need to update them. It was nothing special.

Squat
Today was a special day for legs. I switched up my routine so that I could hit legs with Ryan Robison at Golds Venice and we also had Bradley Martyn of BMFIT join us. All three of us were at the NPC Los Angeles bodybuilding championships. We hit firehouse in between the morning and evening show and thats when we hit legs.

I was feeling strong and hit a 3 rep PR.
135×10
225×10
315×5
405×5
495×3
545×3

*I initially set out to do 545×1 just to continue to increase my numbers but it felt too good. I think that I had another 1-2 in me as well. I don?t hit failure with powerlifting until I?m closer to the meet. Right now I?m right where I want to be. We then messed around with front squats but I was gassed so we moved to leg press.

Leg Press
3ppsx15
5ppsx15
7ppsx15
9ppsx10
*I didn?t push it here. I could?ve gone heavier or hit more volume but I was satisfied with my squats.

We hit lunges after this in the back of Gold?s with some 45lb dumbbells. We did them until we felt satisfied we had done enough.

We finished with some hamstring work. No numbers or PR?s just went by feel and tossed some blood in there.

The following day I did some more surfing at Zuma Beach by malibu for my cardio. I?m starting to like this and my shoulders are feeling better and stronger. I know a lot of people have advised against swimming for fat loss or for cardio as a powerlifter and I generally agree. I?ll tell you?surfing is not swimming. The angle I paddle is different and the waves kick my ass. I?m only out there (with breaks) for about 2 hours tops and I grub down after. So far I don?t think it will negatively affect bodybuilding or powerlifting?if anything it will help it. Time will tell.

*NOTE: I?m a bit pissed. I felt like doing some sprints in the sand at the beach and slightly pulled a hamstring. It was a dumb move. It?s not an injury but I may need to take it a little easy this week before jumping into PR numbers again.