Dirty Gerdy: How Do You Train?

[quote]Westclock wrote:
dre wrote:
Congrats JB, you successfully hijacked a thread that was suppose to be focusing on Dirty Gerdy. He’s going to be pissed at you for stealing his spotlight. I heard that some guy stepped in front of him during a pose down on stage, after the show, he ripped the guy’s heart out back stage like that guy from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!

/kali ma, shuck de day…

Side note, you couldent rip someones heart out through the chest, there is a bone that sits more or less over the heart, the sternum, and its quite thick.

Youd be hardpressed to get through it with a knife, much less your hand.

When they do surgery they need rib spreaders.

To rip someone’s heart out you would need to go up through to stomach area.

Anywho, just an interesting note.[/quote]

So, let me get this straight. You have no issue with the fact that the guy who had his heart pulled out was still alive the whole time he was being lowered int the lava? You don’t take issue to the heart still beating in the crazy guy’s hand and then spontaneously combusting? Not to mention that there was no gaping hole in the guy’s chest from having his heart ripped out!

But for some reason you take issue with the fact that the crazy guy couldn’t get through the sternum? Don’t doubt the powers of Kali!

Oh great, now I hijacked DG’s thread too.

/runs away covering his chest

This thread is a lost cause now.

[quote]cdh3087 wrote:
This thread is a lost cause now.[/quote]

But very entertaining.

bump for DG. (I hope).

[quote]gv_nsg wrote:
Have you been wearing a corset?

[/quote]

Go fuck yourself kid. Here is a link to BB.com where you belong.

DG, I’m also very intersted on what your training is like. Thanks.

sorry guys been busy as hell. I’m being flown to florida for a photoshoot for world physique magazine in a couple weeks so I’m focused on that. It threw the bulking diet aside but hey I get a free trip to florida, free portfolio from an accomplished photographer who works for world physique magazine and mens health lol And I’m fighting for the cover shot…anyways this isn’t about that.

I train hard and heavy and I don’t wear a corset…but that might be a good idea, especially when doing deads or squats…might provide some stabiliation from the lower back…or keep the waist small for all the believers that it thickens with heavy f*cking squats and deads. lol

Right now I am training 5 on 2 off and I do Back and legs by themselves, chest/shoulders together, and two arms only days to try and pull them up.

I am a big believer in squatting and deadlifting heavy, generally 3-4 sets in the 6-8 rep range.

As far as work sets I believe in one warm up set where you ‘feel’ the muscle like you mentioned and then I generally pyramid up to my 3rd set being my heaviest.

IE Deadlifts (as of late)

set 1 225 x10
set 2 315 x 8
set 3 405 x 8
set 4 got 515 x 8 last monday (i did not deadlift yesterday because I turned 21 ;D lol) I figured a week off wouldn’t hurt…

Many of my exercises are done in this fashion and the last set is always geared to try and break a PR…not always the case but you have to strive for improvements.

My workouts are generally no longer than 1 hr and 15 minutes or so. I’m not necessarily a huge believer in that you turn insanely catabolic after an hr of lifting, but I do believe that if your in the gym for 2-3hrs a day then thats 2-3 hours of activity when your not eating lol

I don’t do much cardio except for a few weeks out from a show.

I have normally short rest periods going no longer than 30 secs or so for smaller lifts but up to 2-3 mins sometimes when deadlifting or squatting.

I am a believer in a Carb + BCAA drink sipped on dring a workout.

ummm…I do both compound and isolation movements and am not scared to try something against the norm in hopes for more gains. I’ve done Poliquin’s (i think) 2 minute leg press sets, etc.

For the most part tho I like the 3-4 sets in the 6-12 rep range generally staying heavy for 6-8.

Only muscles I go higher than that with is legs. On extensions I’m generally no less than 25 reps or so. I can stack it out for that much for a warm up (i think the stack is 200 somthin pounds)

If I haven’t mentioned it I am a believer that its very hard to overtrain, but very easy to under eat and under rest. If you eat enough to grow and sleep enough to grow then I don’t think you have to worry about overtraining. Go in there and workout until you feel like dying and then go home eat some steak and go to sleep :smiley:

any other questions I’d be glad to answer.

Hope thats kinda what you were looking for.

How do you break up your split ? I like the 2 days for arms idea.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
any other questions I’d be glad to answer.

Hope thats kinda what you were looking for.[/quote]

Thanks for the post.

Im also interested in what your weekly split looks like.

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on eating to gain muscle mass, because i remember you saying at one point (I think) that you could gain weight heading towards a show, and what a typical day of eating was for you during your latest bulk.

mon-back
tue-arms
wed-legs
thurs-chest shoulders
fri-arms
sat-off
sun-off

Thats the split I’ve been following lately.

I generally do 3-4 exercises per big muscle group and 2-3 for the smaller groups.

I can gain going into a show because I never get fat in the off season. I don’t cut carbs but eat very clean when I’m dieting for my shows and this gives me my conditioning that I have. I do believe I can improve my conditioning by a better diet, but I don’t have the size to sacrifice ANY muscle when dieting.

I eat different foods every day but sample meals are like this when bulking.

Breakfast would be 4-5 whole eggs, a couple tblspoons olive oil (also throwing in some walnut oil for flavor), bowl of oats, milk

sample meals are either steak/potatoes cooked in olive oil and a salad. Tilapia/brown rice, chicken and rice.

I’ve also been one to put down an entire large pizza pwo on leg days or when mcdonalds had the 2 big macs for $3 I hit that up sometimes too. I don’t recommend that for all, but it sure does help to pack the calories.

I’m usually eating some cottage cheese and pineapple before bed.

My eating habits aren’t for everybody because I CANT lose my abs if I tried…I know you hate me…but thats my genetic blessing. It’s a double edged sword because it is EXTREMELY hard to put on any size, but what I do put on is muscle.

DG

What are your favourite exercises for each bodypart?

How did you train when you first started/first few years of training?

i just typed out another long ass post where did it go?

oh well I’ll get to it again tomorrow.

Good night all.

DG

"If I haven’t mentioned it I am a believer that its very hard to overtrain, but very easy to under eat and under rest. If you eat enough to grow and sleep enough to grow then I don’t think you have to worry about overtraining. Go in there and workout until you feel like dying and then go home eat some steak and go to sleep :smiley: "

thats a real cool point that i’ll take to heart, thanks

Good answer DG,… nice to see everything all laid out. Happy Birthday by the way big man.

S

DG,I know you’ve had issues getting your arms to fill out because of their length, looking just at your Avatar, do you think that your Biceps are a strong point compared to your triceps ?

Maybe its just the pose/angle, but I know personally thats the case for myself, the old rule of your arms being 2/3’s triceps just doesnt hold true for me, in fact I’d say its almost reversed for myself, Im practically all biceps.

Your thoughts ?

Happy belated birthday, brother.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote

If I haven’t mentioned it I am a believer that its very hard to overtrain, but very easy to under eat and under rest. If you eat enough to grow and sleep enough to grow then I don’t think you have to worry about overtraining. Go in there and workout until you feel like dying and then go home eat some steak and go to sleep :smiley:
[/quote]

This can’t be said enough on this site. There are so many damn people who are worried about ‘overtraining’ it’s ridiculous. Eat, lift, sleep, repeat…

Thanks for the bday wishes guys.

My biceps definitely dominate my triceps. But thats changing daily now :wink: lol

I have good genetics for biceps as they grow fairly quick and I have a good insertion that I have good peaks on my arms but they take up the greater part of my upper arm. Thats nice because many tall people have short insertions that leads to great peack but lacking width to the arm because the bicep doesn’t fill out the upper arm…make sense?

To be honest I started training by training too much. I’d read the magazines and try and do every possible exercise for every bodypart and stay in the gym for 2+ hours, then I’d do cardio and rock climb, idk hang out, play basketball. I used to think that the more active I was the better. This got me insansely lean but I was skinny. Starting training at about 5’10" and 140lbs I grew fairly quick…soon I was like 6’ and 150lbs and knew I was skinny yet lean. This was around age 15-16 and I got serious with my training. Since then I’ve learned a lot about training but started to get on a proper program then. What took me longer to realize was that I wasn’t eating enough. Proper Nutrition didn’t come until the past couple years.

As far as favorite exercises per bodypart I dont really have favorites. Like I said before I am a big believer in deadlifting and squatting. Any exercise that allows me to move more weight I will choose over the machines, etc that you should be doing for higher reps.

Lately because of my arms focus I’ve liked heavy seated dbell curls (up to the 70s) and heavy close grip bench done on the smith.

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Thanks for the bday wishes guys.

My biceps definitely dominate my triceps. But thats changing daily now :wink: lol

I have good genetics for biceps as they grow fairly quick and I have a good insertion that I have good peaks on my arms but they take up the greater part of my upper arm. Thats nice because many tall people have short insertions that leads to great peack but lacking width to the arm because the bicep doesn’t fill out the upper arm…make sense?

To be honest I started training by training too much. I’d read the magazines and try and do every possible exercise for every bodypart and stay in the gym for 2+ hours, then I’d do cardio and rock climb, idk hang out, play basketball. I used to think that the more active I was the better. This got me insansely lean but I was skinny. Starting training at about 5’10" and 140lbs I grew fairly quick…soon I was like 6’ and 150lbs and knew I was skinny yet lean. This was around age 15-16 and I got serious with my training. Since then I’ve learned a lot about training but started to get on a proper program then. What took me longer to realize was that I wasn’t eating enough. Proper Nutrition didn’t come until the past couple years.

As far as favorite exercises per bodypart I dont really have favorites. Like I said before I am a big believer in deadlifting and squatting. Any exercise that allows me to move more weight I will choose over the machines, etc that you should be doing for higher reps.

Lately because of my arms focus I’ve liked heavy seated dbell curls (up to the 70s) and heavy close grip bench done on the smith.

DG[/quote]

Awesome posts DG!

Must be nice to have biceps lol. I am the opposite of you, my triceps are overpowering my biceps and I hate it! How have you found training arms twice a week as far as progress goes?

Good thread.

Gerdy, do you like to alternate higher volume with low volume weeks/time periods or have you found the rep range that works best for you and just stick to it (I know you mentioned the 6-8)