Direct Democracy?

All people can be corrupted and we’re all selfish - it’s just a question of the level of selfishness.

Politics requires you to make tradeoffs to get an outcome. In most instances, Integrity just becomes a tool for debate: Don’t trust/Trust that guy, he lacks/has integrity - even Mother Teresa had her detractors

1 Like

I think politics today attracts those who are already corrupt in some way. It doesn’t make people corrupt. Wanting to be a politician should disqualify someone.

When 1/3 of eligible voters can’t be bothered and we continue to elect politicians with a lower approval rating than Harvey Weinstein? Nope.

I think Nietzsche’s “will to power” explains all of this pretty well. At its core, I don’t know that it is corrupt, but more like a human condition that in some cases leads or lends itself to corruption.

1 Like

Yes!

That’s ironic, actually. In the early days of the U.S. if you wanted to be elected, you had to act like you didn’t want the position and others would have to act on your behalf, without you (publically) asking them to.

1 Like

I know the way to get the most out of my team is to give everyone tasks they really don’t want. Anyway, as @pat suggests, there is an obvious flaw here.

Absolutely not. Probably as frightening as communism or dictatorial rule.

This. With a system of checks and balances that renders government as inconsequential as possible. This system takes the most discipline. “A Republic, if you can keep it,” as it were.

1 Like

Still at a local level this DD might have some merit if done on an annual basis. Federal level is clearly a non-starter. But local votes on local issues it may not be a bad idea to let the people of a community have a direct say on what happens to them in their daily lives.
Plus it puts a higher priority on local politics where it should be in the first place. Not much from Washington affects your day to day life. Local issues do.

Agree with the focus on local. But federal is important and does effect daily life.

1 Like