I'm currently following 5/3/1 and have been for a couple of years with good progress and some setbacks, but overall I am very happy.
I train four times a week, 2 upper, 2 lower.
Monday- 5/3/1 Squat
Tuesday- 5/3/1 Bench - Chest/Back (currently dealing with a shoulder issue, so I may stop benching and switch over to DB flat bench for a bit.)
Thursday- 5/3/1 Deadlift
Friday- 5/3/1 OHP - Shoulders and Arms
My question is, is Friday's workout doable? Or is it simply too much volume in one day? I usually do chins or a row variation with every pressing movement for the upper body days. Chest/Back work very well together, I love working them together; but Friday's workout is what I'm concerned about.
Last Friday my workout looked like this:
- 5/3/1 OHP with chins/weighted chins (underhand grip)
- Close Grip Bench 4 sets of 6-10 reps with DB rows, same sets and reps.
- Lateral Raises - 4 sets of 10-12
**All arm work was done for 3 sets of 6-10 reps*** I also change the exercises every week or two.
- BB curls with press downs
- DB hammer curls with Overhead extension (seated DB on a slight incline in this workout)
- Spider curls with cable kickbacks and face pulls
Just typing all of that out makes me realize I should probably lose some of these exercises, because it kind of looks like way too much, haha. What do you guys think?