T Nation

Direct Arm Work in Strength Program?

Hello everyone, I'll be glad if some of you can help me with this: WHEN AND HOW TO WORK ARMS DURING A STRENGHT PROGRAM

I had been searching but a I dont find scientific data about that. I know more or less how to make it work but I'm looking for more specific information.

Thank you everyone !

[quote]BigTorrejon wrote:
Hello everyone, I’ll be glad if some of you can help me with this: WHEN AND HOW TO WORK ARMS DURING A STRENGHT PROGRAM

I had been searching but a I dont find scientific data about that. I know more or less how to make it work but I’m looking for more specific information.

Thank you everyone ![/quote]

Not likely to find any “scientific” info on this… I doubt that solving the “how to train arms” is high on the priority list of scientists :slight_smile:

With my clients on a strength program I like to stagger biceps work between sets of bench press or overhead press. Triceps work is normally done at the end of a pressing workout but I find that there is no need for a lot of triceps work when you do a lot of heavy pressing

I allow myself an “arms day” if, and only if I complete all of my scheduled workouts for the week first. I am currently on a 4-day version of CT’s Layer System with 1 day/ week for bench press, deadlift, push-press and squat. If I complete all 4 workouts by Friday I allow myself an “arms day” on Saturday.

It can be as simple as several sets each of curls and tricep extensions, or it can be as long and brutal as the arm workout Matt Kroc posted a little while back. But if performance is your main goal you don’t want to go overboard to the point where it detracts from your ability to push heavy weight in your programmed workouts.

[quote]GraniteJack wrote:
I allow myself an “arms day” if, and only if I complete all of my scheduled workouts for the week first. I am currently on a 4-day version of CT’s Layer System with 1 day/ week for bench press, deadlift, push-press and squat. If I complete all 4 workouts by Friday I allow myself an “arms day” on Saturday.

It can be as simple as several sets each of curls and tricep extensions, or it can be as long and brutal as the arm workout Matt Kroc posted a little while back. But if performance is your main goal you don’t want to go overboard to the point where it detracts from your ability to push heavy weight in your programmed workouts.[/quote]

Correct. I do use an optional arm day with some clients. But last time it aftected the bench press session that was done 2 days later. When you are up to very heavy weights the slightest risidual local fatigue can break your session. Which is why I’m not against an “arm day” but that is normally mostly biceps and I add triceps work at the end of a regular pressing session.

Seems like a lot of the writers on this website believe that arms grow best when you do triceps and biceps on the same day? What’s your take on it? I tend to work my arms in a manner closer to what you suggest, with biceps on my extra days and triceps as additional work if i have time and energy after pressing. Thanks!

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]BigTorrejon wrote:
Hello everyone, I’ll be glad if some of you can help me with this: WHEN AND HOW TO WORK ARMS DURING A STRENGHT PROGRAM

I had been searching but a I dont find scientific data about that. I know more or less how to make it work but I’m looking for more specific information.

Thank you everyone ![/quote]

Not likely to find any “scientific” info on this… I doubt that solving the “how to train arms” is high on the priority list of scientists :slight_smile:

With my clients on a strength program I like to stagger biceps work between sets of bench press or overhead press. Triceps work is normally done at the end of a pressing workout but I find that there is no need for a lot of triceps work when you do a lot of heavy pressing[/quote]

Hey there coach, if someone already does quite a bit of pressing (let’s say flat bench press and overhead press), which tricep head is expected to lag a bit assuming there’s any? And what direct tricep exercise(s) do you recommend to me…I mean that person for a more complete tricep development? Thank you very much for your time coach.