Direct Ab Work?

.Does it make sense to do it??

Depends on your goals and if they’re a weakness or not.

[quote]russianmuscle wrote:
.Does it make sense to do it??[/quote]

What about direct bicepswork? Does that make any sense to you?

[quote]Mr. Moose wrote:
russianmuscle wrote:

What about direct bicepswork? Does that make any sense to you?[/quote]

i interpret direct bicep work as curling and such, as oppose to, say, rows. i don’t understand what you are trying to say here? the concept of direct ab work it pretty well-understood among people here… and the question i am asking is pretty straight-forward.

[quote]russianmuscle wrote:
.Does it make sense to do it??[/quote]

Based on what’s been said in the double-tap interviews, direct-ab work is only necessary to “cap off” the abs and not as the only way to build them. If you are deadlifting, squatting, doing snatches, and most of the major lifts, then you’ll have pretty strong and good-looking abs (unless your diet is bad) without crunches etc.

I would at least do ab-wheel and hanging leg raises a couple times a week, just to “tighten” it all up.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
russianmuscle wrote:

Based on what’s been said in the double-tap interviews, direct-ab work is only necessary to “cap off” the abs and not as the only way to build them. If you are deadlifting, squatting, doing snatches, and most of the major lifts, then you’ll have pretty strong and good-looking abs (unless your diet is bad) without crunches etc.

I would at least do ab-wheel and hanging leg raises a couple times a week, just to “tighten” it all up.

[/quote]

Absolutely do abs, but use weight. Don’t waste time with hundreds of reps. Throw a 25-30lb db on your chest and knock out 10-15 reps. Work up to where you can use 100lbs. Direct weighted abs work wonders.

Ask yourself, have you ever seen a powerlifter with great abs? That argument about squats, DL’s, and all that doesn’t hold water if your goal is to have a six-pack. However, the most important factor in achieving a six-pack is your diet.

Abs, like every other muscle group, needs direct work.

Abs are crucial in powerlifting and while the muscles do get taxed doing deads and squats they do need supplementary work. Best 2 IMO decline weighted sit-ups and standing pulldown crunches

Hold a 165lbs dumbbell on your chest and do full ROM crunches over a swiss ball.

Just make sure the ball is high quality and well looked after.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Absolutely do abs, but use weight. Don’t waste time with hundreds of reps. Throw a 25-30lb db on your chest and knock out 10-15 reps. Work up to where you can use 100lbs. Direct weighted abs work wonders.

Abs, like every other muscle group, needs direct work.

[/quote]

He pretty much sumed it up, your abs are just another muscle in your body. Why would you train them any differently?

[quote]
i interpret direct bicep work as curling and such, as oppose to, say, rows. i don’t understand what you are trying to say here? the concept of direct ab work it pretty well-understood among people here… and the question i am asking is pretty straight-forward.[/quote]

Abs are trained indirectly while doing heavy squats and DL and because of that many people don’t do any direct abwork.

Heavy rows and chins hit the biceps quite hard but how many would cut out direct bicepswork because of that?

Do you see MY point?

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Ask yourself, have you ever seen a powerlifter with great abs? That argument about squats, DL’s, and all that doesn’t hold water if your goal is to have a six-pack. However, the most important factor in achieving a six-pack is your diet.
[/quote]

Yes, I’ve seen some great abs developed from powerlifting…however, they were only displayed after proper dieting.

[quote]
Absolutely do abs, but use weight. Don’t waste time with hundreds of reps. Throw a 25-30lb db on your chest and knock out 10-15 reps. Work up to where you can use 100lbs. Direct weighted abs work wonders. [/quote]

Wouldn’t it make more sense to hold it behind your head? leverage is working against you then, more resistance.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to hold it behind your head? leverage is working against you then, more resistance.[/quote]

If you can put a 100lb dumbell behind your head and lift it, you are a freak of nature.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to hold it behind your head? leverage is working against you then, more resistance.[/quote]

Just think about what would happen to you if you were sitting on a balance ball, with a 165lb dumbbell behind your head, and slowly started to lean backward… I’m pretty sure you’d start going fast rather quickly.

Definitely use weighted exercises for abs. If you want to use heavy weights most definitely you have to put it on your chest. No way anyone can hold a 100+ pound db behind their head without falling over lol.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Malevolence wrote:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to hold it behind your head? leverage is working against you then, more resistance.

If you can put a 100lb dumbell behind your head and lift it, you are a freak of nature.

[/quote]

Well, the point is that a more logical progression would be 25 on your chest, then 25 behind your head, 35 on your chest then 35 on your head 45 on your chest then 45 behind your head…etc.

I don’t see why you have to mess with extraordinarily heavy plates and DBs when you can achieve similar resistance from different leverages.