Dips?

Im beginning to really enjoy this exercise. I started doing it when i first started training but my collar bone began to hurt so I stopped. Everything feels fine now so my question is:

Are there any variations on the standrd dip? If so, what are they? What do some of you guys do to make your dips more effective?

There are lots of things you can do but here a few suggestions:

Lean forward during the dip - emphasizes more chest

Stay very vertical during the dip - emphasizes more triceps

Do dips with your legs straight out in front of you (L dips) - hard on the abs and hip flexor (and may be tough depending on flexibility level)

Bench Dips - easier than regular dips, most of the emphasis is on the triceps

Of course weighted dips using a dip belt, weighted Vest, or holding a DB with your feet (hard to do)

Top 1/4 dips - just do the top 1/4 ROM, good for the tris, much easier than a normal dip

Dip Walks - do a dip, then walk your hands forward a bit (feet don’t touch the ground), do another dip, etc. May have to go forward and backward depending on how long your dip bars are.

Hopefully you will get some more creative suggestions but that should get you started.

Deep Dips. Poliquin brought these up awhile ago, getting down to the point where your forearm touches your bicep, gets a terrific stretch out of the triceps, and though you may not feel it until the next day, chest too.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
Deep Dips. Poliquin brought these up awhile ago, getting down to the point where your forearm touches your bicep, gets a terrific stretch out of the triceps, and though you may not feel it until the next day, chest too.[/quote]

Whenever I do these deep dips, my lats get sore too. Happen to anyone else?

Gironda Dips! They hit the chest very, very well. Look them up!

Or you can do dips focusing more on triceps (the way most people perform dips, this is what they are doing).

Turn youre hands in so youre knuckles are facing you.larry scott used to do these.

I would be careful with the deep dips. You get a great stretch and a lot of overload, but they are tough on rotator cuffs and on the connective tissue in your chest.

I tore a hole in the cartilage in the middle of my chest doing weighted deep dips last November…they felt great until i felt something snap…

The deep dips were cool except it aggrevates the hell out of my collar bone area…this stinging pain. Hurts thinking about it.

The Gironda dips are sick. I tried it at my gym but unfortunately I couldnt find anything to make into a “V.” The weight-assisted dip machine has a wider-grip then the standard dip station so I used that. It did feel different and I did feel pec isolation but i dont think i got the full benefit as highlighted in this video. Check it out…

http://www.homefitness101.com/videos/GirondaDip.mpg

I can’t do dips anymore because they are too hard on my shoulders. I got up to 110 pounds added before it was a problem though. One of my favorite exercises.

not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone have reccommendations on how to do dips in a gym with no dip apparatus? some way to rig up a squat rack? anything? i hate to not be able to do em because the gym lacks the equipment.

try putting 2 pars across the safety pins in a squat rack and use them as dip bars

[quote]GeneticFlea wrote:
not to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone have reccommendations on how to do dips in a gym with no dip apparatus? some way to rig up a squat rack? anything? i hate to not be able to do em because the gym lacks the equipment.[/quote]

Watch the video.