T Nation

Dips & Improving Lagging Tricpes

My triceps are growing but still lagging so im working on them really hard. My question is what do you guys recommend I do to make the grow rep wise? I still have to do them assisted or some one hold my legs slightly but I hope eventually to be able to them on my own.

-Thanks

How do you ‘make the grow rep wise’?

How long have you been working out?

Should I be doing 12-15 reps with maybe 3 sets?

Ive been working out 3 years now. I mean my lower body is very strong and upper body its decent I bench about 285-290 and got 520 on squat. This is more for a “bigger arm look” 17 inch arms on a 6’4 frame doesnt look to appealing if you know what I mean.

So you bench 285 and can’t do BW dips?

I can do about 3

I had trouble doing pullups so I just did as many as I possibly could with whatever rep/set/rest I needed to reach 30. You can try that with dips.

I weight 265 by the way

Thanks man thats what I planning on doing. I mean few months ago I couldnt do one. Also with pull ups now I dont have a problem doing them. I think im gonna apply the same thing here thanks.

Dips are like pullups: work them at every available opportunity and the strength comes.

I recently started doing them recently and at first I could barely do a set of 6. Now I do sets of 12 with extra weight on the dip belt. Not even something I’m focusing on, either.

A movement you have to get brutally strong at in order to see the benefits, imo (either that or do 3 hour rep contests) but tits when it comes to tri and overall arm development.

How about a dip machine as well? Could help you along until you can actually do enough dips to get some decent sets out.

you can always use some bands to assist you too.

[quote]FutureJarhead wrote:
Should I be doing 12-15 reps with maybe 3 sets?[/quote]

play fast and loose with sets and reps. learn what works best for you. heavy weight, 4-8 reps, 4-5 sets have always caused growth when I am lagging.

How about not limiting your growth by only using Dips to target them?

I personaly don’t like low reps for triceps.

No one said he was gonna use only dips.

For the OP, you should progress on reps and sets every time you are able to do so.

if you have an assisted machine this makes it very easy to progress, im 6’ 4 and 240 and at one point when i was doing dips i couldnt do bodyweight and then i go up to +45 for 6 reps.

so start with warm up sets, lots of assistance then slowly work your way down the machine doing as many reps as you can (less than 15) while taking away less and less weight. Once you get down to like -10-20 pounds on the machine for like 10 reps then switch to real dips.
warm up, do 2 sets of as many reps as you can on bw dips, then go to assistated for 10 reps

If you struggle doing proper Dips, Try doing weighted Chair Dips (trust me you will need to add weight almost straight away)
Also Try the following…
*CG Bench Press - 6 x 20, 15, 15, 12, 10, 8
*Skullcrushers - 4 x 20, 15, 12, 8
*Parallel Bar Pushdowns - 4 x 15, 12, 12, 10
*Diamond Pushups - 2 x A

Should give you larger and stronger triceps.

MJ-Cartwright
Fitness Instructor and Strength Coach
Pontypridd South Wales