T Nation

Dips and Chin-up Inspired Workout

Recently i found out about the bartendaz group that workout at playgrounds and what not and it got me thinking about what i really find important with lift weights. I know i will never be a top powerlifter and i do not want to be a bodybuilder so i thought some good goals for myself would be to become exceptional and bodyweight strength things. I dont necessarily care about the bartendaz acrobatics and what not but it is very impressive. So i designed a workout to follow for a while to see how much i can improve my dips and chin-ups. So here is my plan (I apologize if this is the wrong forum btw).

Shane Bartendaz inspired workout:

Goals �?? Increase endurance and strength in Chin-Ups and Dips, while simultaneously increasing strength in Squat and Dead lift.

Methods �?? Strength Upper body day with emphasis on chin-ups and dips, Strength Lower Body Day with emphasis on Dead lifts and Squats. Repetition upper body day with emphasis on Chin-Ups and Dips, Sprinting workout to add leg endurance.

Warm-up 20 push-ups, 10 pull-ups, 20 body squats nonstop do this 2x. Take a couple minutes and then do workout.

Upper Body day Strength day:

• 1a Heavy Dips 4x5reps, Ramp to a max set of 4-6 reps of weighted Dips (A little beyond shoulder width)
  • 1b Heavy Chin-Ups 4x5reps, Ramp to a max set of 4-6 reps of weighted Chins (A little beyond shoulder width)
  • 2a Dip Assistance 3 sets varying reps
  • 2b Chin Up Assistance 3 sets varying reps
  • 3a Incline Bench press (or Dumbbell press) 3x8-12, heavy but not always to failure
  • 3b Dumbbell Rows 3x8-12, Heavy but not always to failure
  • 4 Upright Rows 3x8-12, Heavy but not always to failure

For Lower Body Strength Day

• 1a Heavy Squats 5x5 reps, Ramp to a max set of 4-6 reps
  • 1b Heavy Dead lifts 3x5 reps, Ramp to a max set of 4-6 reps (Should already be warmed up)
  • 2a Unilateral Leg work (lunges, Step-Ups) 3x10-15
  • 2b Hamstrings (Hyper extension, Hamstring Curls) 3x8-12
  • 3 Obloquies (Wood chops, Side bends) 3x15-20
  • 4 Hanging Abs (Knee-ups, Leg-ups, Weight knee-ups, washing machines) 3x15-20

For Upper Body Repetition day

• 1a Max reps 2 sets of max reps of Dips (A little wider than shoulder width)
  • 1b Max reps 2 sets of max reps of Chin-ups (A little wider than shoulder width)
  • 2a Dip Assistance (Continue Rotation)
  • 2b Chin-Up Assistance (Continue Rotation)
  • 3a Military press (Or Dumbbell) 3x8-12
  • 3b Biceps Curls (Standing, Alternating, Hammer) 3x10-15
  • 4 Shrugs (Barbell or Dumbbell) 3x15-20

For Sprint Day �?? look up ???

Rest- As long as needed
Tempo �?? Explosive up, natural and controlled down
Variety �?? Assistance exercises are rotated through every week and a half, Other exercises should be changed out once I cannot improve on them anymore. Main strength and rep exercises should be maintained for as long as possible, once I cannot get stronger on them it is either time for new workout or to switch goals or main exercises.

Dip Assistance choose 3 from the following: (set up a rotation) Dips Claps, Side to side Dips, Super wide or super narrow dips. 3sets of varying reps

Pull-Up Assistance choose 3 from the following: Assistance (set up a rotation) Side-to-sides from front or back Pull yourself up with wide grip and pull body to either hand back and forth, Power Pull-ups (Accelerate so much that I can press myself above bar), Super wide or Super narrow grip, mixed-grip chin-ups, Chin-Ups to belly button. 3 sets of varying reps

Without adding too much volume i feel like this program will hit all the muscles i need and with the supplemental work will keep me from having any underdeveloped muscles. What do you all think? Any blaring flaws in my workout?

Holy fuck this is just like the program i wrote :stuck_out_tongue:

Just seems like a whole fucking lot, be careful tendonitis creeps up quickly. Otherwise looks pretty solid except for a squats and deadlifts superset… that seems waaaaay over the top unless you’re a complete newbie.

Did you really write a program similar to this?

Right i didn’t realized i supersetted them, but its not a superset with no rest between. To make the workout quicker i just alternate but still rest. You think the volume is too high???

[quote]Popiapang wrote:
Did you really write a program similar to this?

Right i didn’t realized i supersetted them, but its not a superset with no rest between. To make the workout quicker i just alternate but still rest. You think the volume is too high???[/quote]

Yes, but i figured it was too much. Yours doesnt look too bad though.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2079340

I agreed instead of using rippetoe and implementing my triathlon training into it.

Before i burnt out a month and some ago, i used to do my high intensity days with way too much volume. Had everything (literally almost all the lifts you can think of) and it took me 3 hours and some change to do.
I didn’t last long. This was since january-ish.
I’ve been told that the best for the max days is just to keep it simple. Read my thread and look at the later responses. If you know what you’re doing then disregard what ive said, you probably already know it.

edit: no wait its different. … i dont know anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

I LOVE dips and pullups (underhand to the sternum)
I did pulldowns for the first six months of training many years ago but it wasnt til i did pull ups that my back started to really thicken up. I dont think you can beat em!

You have a good solid program there mate

good luck!

That volume will kill you dude. Why dont you try ws4sb, alternating weighted/unweighted dips and chins for max effort days and repetition days. For example

ME upper body
Weighted chins

DE lower body
whatever

RE upper
dips

ME lower
Squat or deadlift variation

the next cycle you do

ME upper body
Weighted dips

DE lower body
whatever

RE upper
chins

ME lower
Squat or deadlift variation

The only problem i see with that is the frequency would be too low. These guys are doing intense workouts DAILY working the same muscles. So i figured 2x per week for each muscle would be a good start.

I reduced some of the supplemental lifts now to lower total volume. I was worried about it being too high also. When you really think about it though ME day is really only 1 set and 3-4 warm up sets.

If you want to improve your chins and dips would you not be better off focusing mainly on them along with some other movements such as squats and deadlifts, your program seems rather complicated for improving chins and dips, your only going to get better at them by doing them.

weighted chinups=the best exercise for shoulder width, back devlopment, and increasing strength in all major lifts. Also the most underrated exercise.
Do 10 sets with added weight every 2 days.superset with bent over dumbell rows,on one day, heavy side lateral raises and front raises on another day, and heavy dumbell shoulder presses on the third. make sure u do 10 sets of each exercise. major advantages are: very fast results in muscle growth. i personally do this as part of my night split after working chest, or legs. Very intense, and can be done at home