T Nation

Dip Substitutes?

I have a home gym and I’d really like to resist buying a machine just for dips(since they’re pretty $$$). I’m going to be buying a rack this winter(so I’ll get a dip attachment for that), but I was wondering if there were any exercises that I could do now that would work the triceps similar to dips. The only thing that comes to mind right now is close grip bench. Any1 else have any ideas?

Get two saw horses and dip…or use two chairs…or go to a playground.

Close grip is a pretty good substitute, especially at different angles.

Bench Dips with feet elevated to suit your strength levels are nice, though definitely not as hard as regular dips. I like doing them last in my workout and can really feel the triceps working. You can also set a plate on your lap for additional weight.

And as you said, close grip bench are good. I prefer decline close grip personally.

Dips are more of a chest exercise unless you go with a really narrow grip.

Narrow grip presses and scull crushers are good triceps movements.

[quote]toby_w wrote:
Dips are more of a chest exercise unless you go with a really narrow grip.

Narrow grip presses and scull crushers are good triceps movements.[/quote]

I think that depends on the angle of your upper body as you dip. In other words if you lean your chest into the dip as you go down, it hits your chest better than if you kept you chest up as you dip. Seem to remember reading that in one of CT’s articles I think.

[quote]garageGym wrote:
Bench Dips with feet elevated to suit your strength levels are nice, though definitely not as hard as regular dips. I like doing them last in my workout and can really feel the triceps working. You can also set a plate on your lap for additional weight.

And as you said, close grip bench are good. I prefer decline close grip personally.[/quote]

Not a huge fan of doing bench dips cuz after doing BW dips + 70 lbs, it almost feels like I don’t get anything out of bench dips(even if I throw some plates on my lap. Plus I was never really a fan of having my arms behind me while I dip…feels like it may be bad for your shoulders(or maybe it’s just in my heaD).

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
Get two saw horses and dip…or use two chairs…or go to a playground.

Close grip is a pretty good substitute, especially at different angles.[/quote]

I used to use two chairs, but the height thing was a prob. And if I used extra weight(like in a backpack), the chairs would collapse into me. LOL.

How much are saw horses? That sounds like a possibility, as long as the cost doesn’t approach an actual dip machine.

A dip/chin station is around $100 brand new at places like Hibbet’s or Dick’s, defintely worth the price if you ask me.

Why not decline dumbell presses? You can easily turn your hands to vary the angles and go wide or narrow with the elbows. A little adjustment and you can get pretty close to the the arm movement you get in dips. This may even translate well for when you do get a dipping station. You will need adjustable dumbells to get enough weight if you dont own any really big solid dumbells.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
A dip/chin station is around $100 brand new at places like Hibbet’s or Dick’s, defintely worth the price if you ask me.[/quote]

I went this route a few years ago. Definitely worth the money spent.

Otherwise, I’d say close grip bench or close grip decline.

[quote]garageGym wrote:
I prefer decline close grip personally.[/quote]

That’s what Poliquin suggests as well.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
garageGym wrote:

And as you said, close grip bench are good. I prefer decline close grip personally.

Not a huge fan of doing bench dips cuz after doing BW dips + 70 lbs, it almost feels like I don’t get anything out of bench dips(even if I throw some plates on my lap. Plus I was never really a fan of having my arms behind me while I dip…feels like it may be bad for your shoulders(or maybe it’s just in my heaD).[/quote]

I did them when I was training at home before my gym membership and I also think that they really fuck up the shoulders, I also remember reading it somewhere. Plus, regular dips are more effective. Getting a chin/dip station or something and a dipping belt might be one of the best investments of your life.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
A dip/chin station is around $100 brand new at places like Hibbet’s or Dick’s, defintely worth the price if you ask me.[/quote]

Dick’s sells dip machines for 100 bucks?! I’ve never seen them there. If that’s true that would be perfect. All the dip stations I’ve seens at weight equipment warehouses were using in the range of 250-400 bucks.

This is the cheapest I found on Dick’s:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2845850

Although I did find this:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8120.html

150 isnt too bad. Can anyone find anything cheaper?

With some imagination, you could probably make one.

I don’t do dips much, but I use a chair and one of the pins on my power rack. The issue is that its too low to use a belt, but 2 chairs kinda sucks cos sometimes they fall.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
With some imagination, you could probably make one.

I don’t do dips much, but I use a chair and one of the pins on my power rack. The issue is that its too low to use a belt, but 2 chairs kinda sucks cos sometimes they fall.[/quote]

Yeah exactly my problem. I used to use two chairs, and I would put a 45 lb plate in a backpack. But I would have to bend my legs 90degrees behind me so I wouldn’t touch the ground. SO It becomes harder when you using twice the weight.

$150.00 still isnt too bad, and you can usually find stuff on sale there, I know at the one near me, they usually have some stuff marked down because it has been return.

I was also able to haggle the price of some free weights there down about 30 bucks, didn’t know that was possible at a retail store.

–JB

Kind of pricey but you won’t need the rack if you have these and the total price might then work out similar depending on the cost of the rack:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1217-DB

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1227

For better pic of how the dip bars work:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/images/1312-08-f.JPG

no dip machine = lots of pushups

for triceps, triangle pushups