T Nation

Dip Shrugs?

Dip Shrugs for serratus…

Can someone describe this exercise or post a pic?

Get on a dip stand and pretend you’re about to start a dip. Instead of bending your elbows, keep them straight and allow your traps to raise in a shrugging motion. Push your shoulder blades down to the starting position and repeat.

Also, remember to keep your shoulders from rotating internally, which kind of takes the serratus out of the movement.

I really like these.

thanks ill give them a shot next workout.

May I suggest working your way up with a dip machine before going to the BW version of these.

Other versions of this concept may be done with the following:

Bench Press (Parallel Grip w/ DBs best)
Rows (machine or cable)
Pulldowns

I tried them the other day and my traps got sore. I must be doing them wrong. once your in the top position and arms are locked is it just the traps that are moving you up and down?

Other than some mainly static stabilization your traps should barely be involved. Try to concentrate on pushing your shoulders down toward your ribcage.

Your traps will be involved in the movement but only in the low middle to low portion because these fibers help in depressing the shoulder blades. The lats will also be involved in the movement. However you want to be focusing on the serratus. If you dont know where the muscle is just google it and see. Kindof under and slightly lateral the pecs. Try to use this muscle. T

he hard part about it is that is a difficult muscle to feel at least for me. Another thing to consider is you should be pretty strong to be doing these for your first serratus exercise, I would try serratus pushups first.

thanks.

Yes I know where they are and have been doing push up plus for about 1 year. you can see them in my profile in one of my pics…but I want them to come out even further…

im going try again tomorrow and see if I can feel them working…

2 quick questions…

the arms stay locked the whole time?

the traps are not to be used to raise the shoulders up?

[quote]mtotry wrote:
<<< 2 quick questions…

the traps are not to be used to raise the shoulders up?[/quote]

The arms do stay locked the whole time and your bodyweight will pull on your shoulders. It’s more like your body lowering than it is your shoulders rising. Your shoulders will actually not move much. It’s the rest of you that rises and lowers. Play around with bending and raising your knees so that your’re leaning slightly forward to minimize lat involvement.

[quote]mtotry wrote:

the traps are not to be used to raise the shoulders up?[/quote]
First:
Yes.

Second:
The resistance is in the opposite direction. You’ll be using your scapular muscles and your shoulders will go DOWN — but that’s the secondary effect. The primary effect is lifting your body UP.