Dip Belts

Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know how much weight most dip belts (belt with chain to hang weight)are rated to hold?

The reason I ask is that I had one snap on me the other day in the gym, not the chain or at a seam, but the leather itself snapped. I have a feeling it was just a fluke and that belt’s time to go, but I want to make sure that I’m safe to keep adding weight to another belt.

Ben

Dip belts can hold alot of weight. What happened to you was most likely just a fluke. I’ve put 245 lbs on a dip belt no problems, and I’m talking about a standard/cheap dip belt that my gym has (thin leather with chain).

I’m up to 140 and my belt is still good and solid. Probably a fluke or flaw in the leather.

Perfect, that’s what I was thinking/hoping for. Thanks for the answers.

I don’t no man, I had one do the exact same thing.

I opted to just go to Home Depot and buy a chain and carabeaner(sp)…It hurts at first but once you get used to it, you will never have to worry about that thing breaking again.

Seems to be more versatile too.

[quote]Alpha wrote:
I don’t no man, I had one do the exact same thing.

I opted to just go to Home Depot and buy a chain and carabeaner(sp)…It hurts at first but once you get used to it, you will never have to worry about that thing breaking again.

Seems to be more versatile too.

Pull-up160 +BW x 3 - YouTube [/quote]

I just bought my own chain, too, I loop mine through my 13mm powerlifting belt, not very uncomfortable and I seriously doubt it will ever break.

I’d say making your own is the way to do it, you can make it on the cheap.

Great idea. I hadn’t thought about picking up a chain and making a belt myself. I’ll have to check that out for sure - especially because I don’t know when the gym will get a new belt. Thanks for the tip.