T Nation

Dip Belt Alternative Idea?

Hi everyone, I just started weight lifting hoping to pack some meat onto my body. Currently I am following Nate Green’s Built for Show routines, which in my current phase calls for 4 reps of chin/pull ups.

To archive that kind of low rep, I will need to add extra resistance with a dip belt. Which got me thinking… The dip belt is pulling down on my hip, wouldn’t there be a risk for spine-to-hip separation?

Has anyone seen/have something is like a vest you wear, and have a chain hanging off that. So weight is pulling on the upper body instead of the hip?

If for some reason you have a serious risk of having your spine separate, then you need to take a step back and reevaluate doing any heavy lifting.

No, a weighted belt is not going to rip you in half.

Theres no chance that your hips will fall off before something else gives out. Either your grip or lats while doing pullups. Or your wrist and elbow strength while doing dips.

Have fun with the dip belt and dont pinch your nuts.

never heard of anyone having that problem dont worry about it youll be fine

[quote]that new guy wrote:
Hi everyone, I just started weight lifting hoping to pack some meat onto my body. Currently I am following Nate Green’s Built for Show routines, which in my current phase calls for 4 reps of chin/pull ups.

To archive that kind of low rep, I will need to add extra resistance with a dip belt. Which got me thinking… The dip belt is pulling down on my hip, wouldn’t there be a risk for spine-to-hip separation?

Has anyone seen/have something is like a vest you wear, and have a chain hanging off that. So weight is pulling on the upper body instead of the hip?[/quote]

A dip belt is a belt only in the fact it goes around your waist - it doesn’t fit snugly, and most I’ve seen aren’t even adjustable. It fits very very loosely, but the center (by your crotch, basically) is where the weight hangs from. Since its hanging from there, the belt stays snug because the back is so broad.

Basically, the weight isn’t pulling down on your hips/separating you Mortal Kombat fatality style. Its evenly distributed and you should be more afraid of (like BONEZ said) the chain pinching your nutsack.

Try a dip belt on, its an awesome investment (most I’ve seen is like $40). Things will make way more sense.

If you’re still petrified of the prospect of having a weight hang from your waist that will somehow cleave you in two, hold a dumbbell between your feet.

[quote]Haavik wrote:
If you’re still petrified of the prospect of having a weight hang from your waist that will somehow cleave you in two, hold a dumbbell between your feet.[/quote]
I had been doing that as a matter of fact. My community center has no dip belts for use. Dumbbell between the legs works fine until i got to 45lbs and I wasn’t strong enough to keep my legs together (maybe this is what the Good Girl Bad Girl machine is for?).

I am thinking of investing in a dip belt, but just wanted to make sure that wasn’t a safety hazard.

What is the difference between a leather belt vs a nylon one? From what I can see, leather ones cause 50% more, do they last longer or hold more weight?

you can buy a chain thats a few feet long for a couple bucks and then get a carabiniere for another few bucks and BAM instant dip belt! Not the most comfortable but it’ll do the trick.

You wont rip in half and even using just a chain you’l be fine (ive done this with 4 plates hanging before when I didnt have a dip belt)

.greg.

Yeah you dont NEED to buy a dip belt. Taking a regular leather belt (for jeans or pants) and using that with a regular lifting belt works fine. Or a chain works. A decent leather belt is surprsingingly strong. Ive seen someone hang 100+ lbs from one.

And about the dumbells between your feet. Cross one foot over the other at the ankle/upper foot area. Then have someone place the dumbell across your ankles. This will greatly increase the amount of weight you can hold.

I don’t have a regular lifting belt, so I am probably just buy a dip belt directly instead of Macgyver-ing one. But so far I haven’t been able to find a shop that carries them in my sub-urb.

If you don’t like the feel of the weight hanging from your waist, then you can put some chains over your shoulders hanging down in front. I’ve done that and it felt solid.

Also, I bought an E-Z Dip Dipping Belt and I love that thing. It works with regular dumbbells and it fits great.

You will want a real belt when you get to high weights, and they are cheap. I have a nylon one and am happy with it.

I do 150 lb forced negatives with weighted chins, and have never been torn in half :wink: