Dinosaur Singles Program

One of my most successful routines is one I got from a guy that likes to train Dinosaur Style.

Here it is:

Week 1

Test Max

Week 2

Use a weight 10 lbs less than your max for ten sets of 1

Week 3

Use a weight 5lbs less than your max for five sets of 1

Week 4

Retest max

I have always made good strength gains with this routine, but I usually burn out after the four weeks are over and cannot make any more strength gains.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could either extend this routine or how I can modify it to keep the gains coming?

Try CW’s Single’s Club workout!

Another 2 similar ways to do this, used by old timers such as Casey and Hepburn (Although you sill might burn out):

1. Use a weight you can get 3 singles (90-95%). try to increase each workout until you hit 6 singles, add weight, repeat.

2. Use about 85% and go for 15-20 singles.

I have been using the first method on movements such as lockouts and have had great success, although I’m yet to burn out, somehow I hit bigger weights week in week out (?).

[quote]cal wrote:
Another 2 similar ways to do this, used by old timers such as Casey and Hepburn (Although you sill might burn out):

1. Use a weight you can get 3 singles (90-95%). try to increase each workout until you hit 6 singles, add weight, repeat.

2. Use about 85% and go for 15-20 singles.

I have been using the first method on movements such as lockouts and have had great success, although I’m yet to burn out, somehow I hit bigger weights week in week out (?).[/quote]

cal,

Thanks for the info. I am a fan of Hepburn. How frequently should one do the first routine?

It is wild that you can keep adding weight without burning out.

One caution regarding singles training. Since doing one heavy single can put a great amount of stress on the joint make sure there is proper warm-up prior. Then go for it!

basementD,

I find once a week is good. I wouldn’t repeat a session any sooner, maybe you might need longer, it’s all individual.

I like to go 6-8 weeks at a time, I feel this helps me avoid ‘burn out’ while still making great gains.

This may not work for everyone but it sure worked for the old timers.