Dino Training Log

Work sets only ( all weights in Kilos )

OHP 38kg 3 x 5

B Curls 32kg 3x5 ( only managed 5 reps on the last set so called it 3x5 to keep it simple )

Rear Laterals 8kg 4x12

Today I allowed 2 minutes rest between sets on both OHP and curls with around 45 seconds rest for R laterals

8/8/15 ( weight 62.4kgs )

CGBP 50kgs 3x5 ( 1st set paused touch and go for both the 2nd and 3rd set )

Deadlifts 126kgs 2x5

Band pull aparts were included through out the session for high reps

Not the best session today as the close grip bench felt really hard for some reason even though I gave myself extra rest it just wasn’t there, I don’t think this upset stomach of mine is helping…looking on the bright side my deadlift is going up as usual.

Bad days are bad days, don’t sweat it.

Good progress so far man.

Thanks for the support…I’ve never had a good bench partly down to my long reach but on the plus side it definitely helps my deadlifts :slight_smile:

[quote]tredaway wrote:
Thanks for the support…I’ve never had a good bench partly down to my long reach but on the plus side it definitely helps my deadlifts :-)[/quote]
No worries, it’s a small community, we’re here to support each other. Is there a particular reason you do all your Bench Pressing wide/close grip?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]tredaway wrote:
Thanks for the support…I’ve never had a good bench partly down to my long reach but on the plus side it definitely helps my deadlifts :-)[/quote]
No worries, it’s a small community, we’re here to support each other. Is there a particular reason you do all your Bench Pressing wide/close grip?[/quote]

I do my benching in the house at the moment as my numbers are low which effects where I can grip the bar as the stands that hold the bar on my bench are where I would like to put my hands… so wide grip is actually 24inches between my forefingers, but to put it in context I’m only 5ft 3. Regards close grip I’ve always preferred my second session to be close grip as would like some more meat on my puny arms :smiley:

Upper body done in the house

Weighted chins 13kg 3x5

WGBP 56kg 3x5 1x 65 ( all reps paused ) these felt good tonight which was surprising after how my close grip bench felt on Saturday I even did an extra rep on the last set although I didn’t count it.

I finished my bench with 56kg x 1x4 top half only reps for a little extra triceps work.

At the gym

Squats 90kg 3x5

I felt cream crackered as it was my first day back at work today after a week off so finished the session off with a couple of sets on the hand gripper machine and 3 sets of high rep triceps pushdowns …On the whole a much better work out than I was expecting :slight_smile:

OHP 39kg 3 x 5 ( for some added triceps work on the last set I did some half reps where I just lowered the bar to the top of my head, followed by another 2 sets of the same but with a wider grip )

B Curls 32kg 2x6 1x5 1 1 1 1 ( even though I kept the weight the same I still only managed 5 reps on the last set so I did 4 rest pause reps with the rest being around 25 seconds to make up for it )

Rear Laterals 8kg 4x12

Today I allowed 2 minutes rest between sets on both OHP and curls with around 45 seconds rest for R laterals

15/8/15 ( weight 63.3kgs )

CGBP 51kgs 3x6 ( all reps paused )

Band pull aparts 2x30

Deadlifts 128kgs 2x5

Rear Laterals 8kg 1x15

Pleased with todays work out as my last close grip bench session was off where as today I added my extra 1kg to the bar and paused all reps no problem…it may have helped doing the band pull aparts after rather than between sets.

[quote]tredaway wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]tredaway wrote:
No worries, it’s a small community, we’re here to support each other. Is there a particular reason you do all your Bench Pressing wide/close grip?[/quote]

I do my benching in the house at the moment as my numbers are low which effects where I can grip the bar as the stands that hold the bar on my bench are where I would like to put my hands… so wide grip is actually 24inches between my forefingers, but to put it in context I’m only 5ft 3. Regards close grip I’ve always preferred my second session to be close grip as would like some more meat on my puny arms :smiley: [/quote]

Join the club man, even though I lift for strength, I’d still secretly love a set of 18" pythons.

Weighted chins 14kg 3x5

WGBP 57kg 3x5( all reps paused ) followed by Floor press 46kg x8 56kg x6
56kg x5

At the gym

Squats 92.5kg 3x5 ( on the second set I some how pulled my right shoulder racking the bar )

That’s my official work out however as I was at the gym I finished off with some power shrugs with a long pause in the top position on a machine 85kg x5 x 4 x 3 x 2 ( taking 5 deep breaths between sets ) and 3 sets on a hand griper machine 15kg x 15 35kg x 2 x 15… finishing off with some high rep ( 20 ) triceps pushdowns.

I just hope my shoulder is ok for my next work out.

OHP 40kg 3 x 5 ( for some added triceps work on the last set I did some half reps where I just lowered the bar to the top of my head )

B Curls 32kg 2x6 1x5

Shoulder wasn’t quite right but trained anyway, I think as i’m stalling with the curls i’ll go lighter and add a little more volume.

22/8/15 ( weight 64kgs )

CGBP 52kgs 3x6 ( all reps paused )

Band pull aparts 2x20

Deadlifts 130kgs 2x5 ( the last rep of the last set on these was a bit of a grinder towards the top of the rep )

Looking at my training log I think i’m coming to the end of this training cycle so I might dial back on some of the lifts until my bench catches up with the rest of my lifts in regards to difficulty which shouldn’t be to long as my bench is my weakest lift.

Weighted chins 15kg 3x5 ( these felt very hard this week I had to grind the last rep out )

WGBP 58kg 3x5 1x66kg 1x70kg ( all reps paused apart from the last rep on the last work set of 5 )

Standing Triceps extensions just the bar x20 10kg 2x15 just the bar x15 ( taking it easy with these as I don’t want my tennis elbow to flare up )

At the gym

Squats 95kg 3x5 60kg 1x10

That’s my official work out however as I was at the gym I finished off with some seated pulley rows 35kg x10 42kg x10 35kg x10 followed by some rope triceps pushdowns for about 3 or 4 sets of 10 i can’t even remember what weight I used.

Overall this workout was much harder than I thought it was going to be and my shoulder was twinging on my 3rd warm up set on the bench from when I pulled it squatting last week. In the past I’ve ignored little injuries and haven’t really bothered with deload weeks etc but I reckon perhaps I should give this 49 year old body of mine a deload as I don’t want to be out of the gym for 7 months again.

At an educated guess I reckon my 1 rep max squat is probably around 115 kg, deadlift is around 155kg and my bench is around 70kg although when I did my paused single with 70kg tonight that was after my main working sets so I may have a little more in the tank :slight_smile:

De-Load

OHP 26kg x 8 30kg x 7 30kg x 6 26kg x 8

B Curls 26kg 3x5

That’s it short and sweet.

De-Load

CGBP 46kgs 3x7 ( all reps touch & go and stopped just short of lock out )

Band pull aparts 1x20

Deadlifts 110kgs 1x5 ( just ramped up to one top set )

Rear Laterals 8kg 1x20

Abs 1 x bacon & egg sandwich on crusty brown granary bread :wink:

I was advised that it was better to do close grip bench touch & go and to stop just short of lock out to keep the tension on the triceps and to be honest even though I dropped the weight as I’m supposed to be having a de-load the last set was much harder than I thought it was going to be.

[quote]
Abs 1 x bacon & egg sandwich on crusty brown granary bread :wink:

I was advised that it was better to do close grip bench touch & go and to stop just short of lock out to keep the tension on the triceps and to be honest even though I dropped the weight as I’m supposed to be having a de-load the last set was much harder than I thought it was going to be.[/quote]

What a coincidence, that’s one of my favorite ab workouts! I don’t have that awesome bread available in the middle of nowhere, Kansas, though.

As far as your CGBP goes, I personally wouldn’t start doing things to manipulate time under tension until you’ve gotten everything you can out of basic linear progression. Once the gains stop coming from doing the basics, that’s the time to start manipulating variable and experimenting. Of course, I’m no expert either, but I think keeping it simple for as long as reasonably achievable should be the default.

OTHSteve your probably correct regards the CGBP goes as although I’m on a de-load there was still a little bit more to be gained although I prefer to back off a little early regards any form of benching at the moment as I have to be a bit cautious due to my left elbow.

Having said that I’m thinking of changing things up a little bit as I would like to run the Buckeye program for my bench and maybe incorporate some slingshot work, i’ll still keep to the Dino method of abbreviated training as my recovery isn’t what it used to be although nothing is set in stone yet and I might well just carry on with what I’m doing but simply take 1 step backwards in order to take 2 steps forward so to speak.

31/8/15 ( weight 63.5kg

All done in the house

De-Load

Weighted chins 10kg 3x5

WGBP 53kg 2x6 50kg 1x 6kg ( all reps paused )

Standing Triceps extensions just the bar x20 6kg 2x15 just the bar x15 ( taking it easy with these as I don’t want my tennis elbow to flare up )

Squats 60kg 3x10 ( with these I squatted as low as possible for each rep which did the trick as I could feel it in my thighs )

Sort of still de-loading as I’m about to start a new program although I’m still trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of it all yet, my dilemma is that I want to bench twice a week once heavy ( for me anyway ) and a second session roughly 3 days later which is light ie more for reps so to speak, so I’m trying to figure out where and how to fit my squats and deadlifts into the program as I can only train 3 times a week due to other commitments that and being an old Dino hence the title of my log.

done in the house

WGBP 40kg 5x10 1x60kg 1x66kg plus CGBP 46kg 1x8( all reps paused, couldn’t resist a couple of singles )

Standing Triceps extensions just the bar x20 6kg 1x12 10kg 1x12 just the bar x20

Bent over rows / Pendlay rows 40kg 5x10

BB Curls 26kg 2x10 1x6