Dino Training Log

I thought I would post my training work outs to allow me to keep an online record of my training.

As you may or may not have guessed from the title I’m not the youngest of lifters and prefer abbreviated training these days and tend to be influenced by Brook Kubik so most but not all of my training tends to focus on the big 3 ie Squat, Bench & Deadlift.

I have had severe tennis elbow and as such I’ve had about 7 months off training followed by a few light sessions to test the water so to speak over the 6 weeks or so.

At this present time I’m roughly 2 weeks away from my 49th birthday and weighed in this morning at 62.4 kgs/137lbs at a height of 5ft 3.

My previous best lifts last year before my tennis elbow kicked in were as follows
Squat 130kgs/286lbs x 1
Bench 80kgs/176lbs x 1
Deadlift 160kgs/352 x 1
at a body weight of 65kgs/143lbs

On to my actual program, I will be using a Brooks Kubik style abbreviated 5x5 program starting light to ease back in to training, which basically consists of 2 warm up sets followed by 3 work sets although I do tend to throw in an extra warm up set here and there.

Monday is Weighted chins, Bench & Squats
Thursday is Press & Barbell curls
Saturday is Close grip bench & Deadlifts

Well on with yesterdays session

27/6/15 ( weight 62.4kgs )

Work sets only ( all weights in Kilos )

CGBP 44kgs 3x5 ( all reps paused )

Deadlifts 100kgs 3x5

Overall a nice easy session

Hahah, to be honest the reason I clicked on your log is your title made me think of Kubik’s ‘Dinosaur Training’ book, which is one of my all-time favorites on training philosophy! As another lifter with a few years behind me (50 here) welcome to the boards!

Thanks for dropping by Steve glad to hear that your a fellow dinosaur and a fan of Brooks Kubiks work also :slight_smile:

30/6/15

Well after deadlifting on Saturday I decided that I needed an extra day off to allow my lower back to recover…

Tuesday Work sets only ( all weights in Kilos )

Upper body done in the house

Weighted chins 7kgs 3x5

WGBP 50kgs 3x5

As these were done in the house I can either bench close grip or wide grip as the place I want to grip the bar is where the supports are on the bench I use at home, even so I know I haven’t been able to train properly for a while but this was much harder than I thought it would be. my original plan was to do all reps paused until the weights got a bit heavier however on the last set I just did touch and go even though the reps were controlled its still very disappointing.
I now have 2 options either lower the weight a little more next week or stick with the same weight for another week before adding weight.

Squats FAIL

Drove to the gym only to find the police had closed the duel carriageway where my gym is located so was unable to do my squats…perhaps this is a sign I need to re-evaluate my starting weights and start a fresh grrr not the come back I quite had in mind.

4/7/15 ( weight 61.7kgs )

CGBP 45kgs 3x5 ( all reps paused )

Deadlifts 105kgs 3x5

I was going to change things up a little to allow my old body more recovery and use 3 warm up sets followed by 2 work sets but as I missed squatting on my last session and the fact I enjoy close grip benching I thought I would stick with the 3 work sets for a little longer…lost a bit of weight but I’ve not been well for a few weeks and its been very hot this last week so that may have something to do with it however I will try and increase my food intake this week.

I’m in

6/7/15

Weighted chins 8kg 3x5

WGBP 51kg 3x5 ( all reps paused with no real problem today )

At the gym

Squats 77.5kg 3x5 ( all reps done with a pause in the bottom position )

That’s my official work out however as I was at the gym I finished off with some power shrugs with a long pause in the top position on a machine 80kg 5x2…and about 3 sets on a hand griper machine 15kg x 12 30kg x 2 x 12 15kg x 12 and some ab work .

Not a bad session today as I was off work so made the most of it and decided against the extra days rest between deadlifts and squatting…I took roughly 1minute 30 secs between sets on both chins and benching followed by 1 minute 45secs between sets on squats. I also loaded one of my first work set wrong on the bench so ended up doing an extra warm up set on the bench before my work sets so that may have helped today :-). my elbow felt fine through out the session but felt it a little after.

Thanks for stopping by dagill2

9/7/15

OHP 34kg 3 x 6

B Curls 28kg 3x6

went with 3x6 for my work sets today with 1 minute 30 seconds rest for OHP and 1 minute rest for curls.

finished off with 3 sets of 12 bent over laterals with a light weight

Some how I’ve been forgetting to log my over head press and barbell curls but for the record my starting weights for these were OHP 32kg and curls 26kg all done for 3x5 adding 1 kg each week.

Looking good, staying consistent. Keep rocking the Dino method1

11/7/15 ( weight 62.4kgs )

CGBP 46kgs 3x5 ( all reps paused )

Deadlifts 110kgs 3x5

Finished with some bent over laterals 8kg x 3x10

Pleased to say I’ve gained a little bit of my weight back…overall a good work out I did nice long pauses on all my close grip benching whilst taking 1 minute 30 seconds rest between sets and felt strong with the deadlifts taking just 2 minutes rest between sets, although I may switch to just 2 work sets for these next week as I don’t want to over do it on my lower back.

Weighted chins 9kg 3x5

WGBP 52kg 3x5 ( all reps paused )

At the gym

Squats 80kg 3x5

That’s my official work out however as I was at the gym I finished off with some power shrugs with a long pause in the top position on a machine 80kg 5x3…and about 4 sets on a hand griper machine 15kg x 15 30kg x 2 x 15 15kg x 15 .

16/7/15

OHP 35kg 3 x 5

B Curls 29kg 3x6
for my work sets today with 1 minute 30 seconds rest for OHP and 1 minute rest for curls.

finished off with 1 set of 15 bent over laterals with a light weight

18/7/15 ( weight 62kgs )

CGBP 47kgs 3x6 ( all reps paused )

Deadlifts 114kgs 2x5

Finished with some bent over laterals 8kg x 3x12

As its my birthday today as a treat I did an extra rep on each set of close grip benches and only did 2 work sets for deadlifts today.
I took roughly 90 seconds rest on CGBP and 2 minutes rest for deadlifts followed by 45 seconds rest for rear laterals.

Weighted chins 10kg 3x5

WGBP 53kg 3x5 56kg x 1 60kg x 1( all reps paused )

At the gym

Squats 82.5kg 3x5

That’s my official work out however as I was at the gym I finished off with some power shrugs with a long pause in the top position on a machine 80kg 3x4 2x3 1x2…and about 4 sets on a hand griper machine 15kg x 15 30kg x 2 x 15 32.5kg x 10 .

OHP 36kg 3 x 5

B Curls 30kg 3x5

Rear Laterals 8kg 3x12

for my work sets today with 1 minute 30 seconds rest for OHP and 1 minute rest for curls but think I will give myself 2 minutes rest and 1 minute 30 seconds rest respectively.
next time

25/7/15 ( weight 61.8kgs )

CGBP 48kgs 3x6 ( all reps paused )

Deadlifts 118kgs 2x5

Finished with some bent over laterals 8kg x 4x10

After reading an article called Tims keys to building strength by Tim Henriques I 've decided to give myself longer rest periods as strength is my main goal rather than size.

Weighted chins 11kg 3x5

WGBP 54kg 3x5 56kg x 1 63kg x 1( all reps paused )

At the gym

Squats 85kg 3x5

That’s my official work out however as I was at the gym I finished off with some power shrugs with a long pause in the top position on a machine 80kg 5x4 and 3 sets on a hand griper machine 15kg x 15 35kg x 2 x 15… finally finished with 3 high rep sets of face pulls although I’m not to sure if I did them correctly.

I took roughly 2 minutes rest between sets for chins, bench and squats. Overall considering I’ve still got an upset stomach which is causing me to loose weight I’m fairly pleased how things are going.

OHP 37kg 3 x 5

B Curls 31kg 3x6

Rear Laterals 8kg 4x10

Today I allowed 2 minutes rest between sets on both OHP and curls with around 45 seconds rest for R laterals.

1/8/15 ( weight 62.2kgs )

CGBP 49kgs 3x6 ( all reps paused )

Deadlifts 122kgs 2x5

Rear Laterals 8kg x 5x10

although my stomach still isn’t right I was pleased to see my weight heading in the right direction.

Weighted chins 12kg 3x5

WGBP 55kg 3x5( all reps paused ) these felt hard today possibly because I’ve upped the weight on my warm up set prior to my work sets

I finished my bench with 1x7 top half only reps for a little extra triceps work and some medium effort overhead extensions.

At the gym

Squats 87.5kg 3x5

That’s my official work out however as I was at the gym I finished off with some power shrugs with a long pause in the top position on a machine 85kg 5x3 ( taking 5 deep breaths between sets ) and 3 sets on a hand griper machine 15kg x 15 35kg x 2 x 15… finally finished with 3 high rep sets of face pulls although I’m not to sure if I did them correctly.

I took roughly 2 minutes rest between sets for chins, bench and squats however I may up the rest a little more to enable me to keep adding weight to the bar whilst holding my rep count.