T Nation

Dimmel Deads... Sumo or Only Conventional Stance?

Is it unwise to perform Dimmels from the Sumo stance?

Rephrasing the question for the third time:

Does anyone here perform their Dimmels from the Sumo stance?

If so, would you please reply or PM me as I have a few questions and concerns about them, many thanks.

I think it would be an ankward movement to do and pointless because of small rom.

Yes, it was extremely awkward… especially as I have very long legs and torso; it felt like a pseudo front squat lift.

You also hit the nail on the head regarding the limited ROM… that was one of my concerns; I just can’t tell if my form is shit or in fact it is a shortened movement via the wider sumo stance.

I appreciate the reply, thanks.

For a long legged lifter I would think it’s a good movement for ass and hams. I have long legs, have gotten a lot out of sumo DL training I would think that Dimel DL done sumo would have a similar effect. Dimels typically are by definition using limited ROM but with sumo-style you have a more extreme hip angle and so would be working your weakest range of motion. That’s always beneficial.

But, as ever, it depends on what your weaknesses are as to whether it’s beneficial enough for YOU.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
For a long legged lifter I would think it’s a good movement for ass and hams. I have long legs, have gotten a lot out of sumo DL training I would think that Dimel DL done sumo would have a similar effect. Dimels typically are by definition using limited ROM but with sumo-style you have a more extreme hip angle and so would be working your weakest range of motion. That’s always beneficial.

But, as ever, it depends on what your weaknesses are as to whether it’s beneficial enough for YOU.[/quote]

Never thought about it from that perspective… you may be right. Approaching it from a weakness perspective (instead of ROM), I’ll have to try them again and focus on that hip angle as you said… I do think this is where I am the weakest in the initial pull. My lockout weaknesses would be delayed/poor contraction of the glutes and delayed/slow hip drive which I am working on.