Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO)?

Heard of it…? Used it…? Any thoughts…?

It’s technically a solvent, but can easily permeate human tissue, and acts as a free radical scavenger, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory.

Below is a link to dmso.org, but if you google it, there is a lot of data available on the subject:

It’s been used as a horse liniment since the 60’s. Personally, I’ve been using it for about 3 months, and have had good success with it applied topically for pain and inflammation relief.

As a point of reference for those who have discovered the benefits of MSM for joint health, MSM is derived from DMSO.

-james

yhea just be careful on making the skin permeable you may just suck in trash you dont want as well. Stuff does work great though dissolve some ibuprofen in it pain go bye bye

Phill

It reacts with a ton of shit, using sparingly would seem to be the good idea.

Have worked with this stuff in tissue culture labs as a constituent of cell freezing medium, it is designated as highly irritating, its not nice stuff, be careful with it. personally i would steer clear of it.

[quote]antman wrote:
Have worked with this stuff in tissue culture labs as a constituent of cell freezing medium, it is designated as highly irritating, its not nice stuff, be careful with it. personally i would steer clear of it.[/quote]

I’ve also worked with it, and have found there is a wide range of human sensitivity to DMSO. Meaning that the same dose that causes cell permeability for one cell type, will cause death for another.

I try to stay clear of organic solvents, except for the alcohol found in beer, of course.

Ok, thanks for the input…looks like mixed reviews.

-james

[quote]antman wrote:
Have worked with this stuff in tissue culture labs as a constituent of cell freezing medium, it is designated as highly irritating, its not nice stuff, be careful with it. personally i would steer clear of it.[/quote]

dmso is cell stabilizing at low temps.

Wow - haven’t heard a discussion on this in a LONG time. A lot of the steroid gurus were toying with the idea of using DMSO in conjunction with prohormones and other anabolics. There may have been some guinea pigs, but the possibility of transferring binders and other impurities into blood was too great.

[quote]JPanchalk wrote:
Wow - haven’t heard a discussion on this in a LONG time. A lot of the steroid gurus were toying with the idea of using DMSO in conjunction with prohormones and other anabolics. There may have been some guinea pigs, but the possibility of transferring binders and other impurities into blood was too great. [/quote]

I don’t take steroids, however, my understanding is that DMSO is a better solvent/transporter of certain compounds better than others, steroids being one the compounds better adapted for this use.

I had the notion to, and have been, using it with aspirin or ibuprofen, thinking to alleviate stomach irritation through topical application. But I use it sparingly, and wash hands and application area first.

My main interest is not its’ reported analgesic affect, although it is effective, as much as, its’ anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties for relieving inflammation and speeding recovery.

-james

What sources would you reccommend for buying DMSO?

[quote]ledfist wrote:
What sources would you reccommend for buying DMSO?[/quote]

I’ve always ordered mine from here:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=ihealthtree&query=dmso&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo.com%2Fihealthtree%2Fnsearch.html

Click on “More Results” at the bottom for higher concentrations. I’ve always gotten the 70% DMSO w/Aloe Vera, Rose Scented. But
I’ve also experimented with mixing the higher concentrations to the mixture. However, there doesn’t seem to be much of a difference, and 70% is actually recommended by several studies. For some reason, there has been no evidence that higher concentrations are more effective.

Moreover, higher concentrations are more of a skin irritant, and tend to give me a headache, both of which, along with the taste, are known side-effects. However, there is no known toxicity, and no permanent, recorded, side effects in humans, to my knowledge.

-james

Go to your local tractors supply store in the livestock section they have it to rub on horses and cattle

Phill

I used it years ago with crushed up finaplix pellets. I would rub 90% DMSO gel on my ankle and wrap it in plastic wrap overnight. In the morning the skin would be very sensitive/painful to touch and have a watery look/feel to it. I did this for about a month straight with no effects beyond 30 minutes of showering in the morning to wash it off and move it around.

Everyone is different, I just thought I’d share my personal experience. On a side note, it certainly did work well as a steroid transdermal transport system.

Hello,

I have reviewed the information for DMSO on www.dmso-use.com
and I was wondering if somebody has experienced this
medicine. Can we consider this as a common way of healing?

Thank you.

I’m familiar with this stuff. When it’s spent (used) it’s classified as a hazardous material. It has to be stored like any other organic solvent.

I will steer clear of it. You may do as you wish.