T Nation

Digitalairair's 63

This is my friend jumping on boxes that are 5 feet and above.

I’m spotting on the last one.

Holy hell that dude’s explosive.

And I was happy that I could jump on a 40 incher.

-MAtt

That’s crazy.

That’s awesome. So, has he ever thought about track and field or the high jump?

I’ve been telling him I think he belongs in Hollywood. :slight_smile: He’s definitely got some star quality to him. Bruce Lee looking cat jumping around like a kangaroo with wild hair flying around. :slight_smile:

lol

[quote]Kelly Baggett wrote:
I’ve been telling him I think he belongs in Hollywood. :slight_smile: He’s definitely got some star quality to him. Bruce Lee looking cat jumping around like a kangaroo with wild hair flying around. :)[/quote]

wow, those C&Js were fast…can you give some background info?
How old is he? What are his best lifts?

Kelly, did you train him? Did he use a program from the VJ Bible?
Im guessing he’s an extremely reactive athlete - what were his starting VJ, squat, etc…
Thanks!

[quote]MikeSh wrote:

Im guessing he’s an extremely reactive athlete - what were his starting VJ, squat, etc…
Thanks![/quote]

i dont train DIRECTLY under kelly, meaning hes not htere to personaly watch me train. But his insights helped me along the way. My vert increased from 31 inches to 39 inches ( past summer) by following kelly and Eric Cressey’s personalized programs.

As of now im jumping in the 36-37 inches range.

im 162 and some of my best stats are
-350 close stance free squat (with good form)
-435 x 6 wide stance box parallel squat (with shaky form)
-255 powerclean
-1 legged squats holding 120 pound dbs for 8 reps.
-GHR holding 100 pound plate for 10 strict reps for 4 sets
-225 x 7 incline bench (with bad form, since my ass comes off the bench a lot!)

• 10 feet 5 inches broad jump.

i recently started competing in powerlifting as well.
In the near future i would like to get involved in olympic lifting and track @ field.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

Yeah both Eric Cressey and I have worked with him. He’d have to tell you his beginning stats and his current lifts but he’s obviously a powerful and explosive individual. The scary part is he’s still very young and probably has a LOT more room for improvement yet.

Wow, those are all great numbers. I hope to compete in both powerlifting and olympic lifting by the summer. My numbers are nowhere nears yours (especially the jumps!), but I noticed some things about your stats (and I’d love your thoughts and Kelly’s on this)

The numbers that really stick out to me are the box squat, GHR, and single leg squats. Am I correct in saying that you are glute/ham dominant athlete (as opposed to quad dominant? And one totally unrelated question - do you use the reverse hyper as well, or do you just jump on it:)

Kelly, in your works you talk about the VJ correlating well with the squat (which can be a quad dominant movement) My thought is that the VJ is even more closely correlated with the GHR.

I was once a quad dominate athlete and it led to knee problems eventually. Since then ive focused a lot on posterior chain strength and the glutes, hams and low back can never be too strong. I use the reverse hypers but not nearly as much as GHR.

In reply to a poster that think i was very reactive… I’m not super strong and not super quick, but i have a pretty good blend of both as i sit right in the middle of the spring - static curve… where the vertical jump stand.

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
MikeSh wrote:

Thanks!
i dont train DIRECTLY under kelly, meaning hes not htere to personaly watch me train. But his insights helped me along the way. My vert increased from 31 inches to 39 inches ( past summer) by following kelly and Eric Cressey’s personalized programs.

As of now im jumping in the 36-37 inches range.

im 162 and some of my best stats are
-350 close stance free squat (with good form)
-435 x 6 wide stance box parallel squat (with shaky form)
-255 powerclean
-1 legged squats holding 120 pound dbs for 8 reps.
-GHR holding 100 pound plate for 10 strict reps for 4 sets
-225 x 7 incline bench (with bad form, since my ass comes off the bench a lot!)

• 10 feet 5 inches broad jump.

i recently started competing in powerlifting as well.
In the near future i would like to get involved in olympic lifting and track @ field.
[/quote]

great stats. its been fun seeing your stats rise over the last 6 months or so, especially your lifts. nice job in the powerlifting meet, now do the sprint thing followed by the oly thing. those are my plans as well. good luck and its great to see your doing well.
AC

The thing is the glutes are THE most important muscle and the squat is about the best glute exercise. The quads are very important up to a certain extent but if carried to far they can start to get in the way and cause problems as Frank experienced. However, the easiest way to develop the needed baseline glute and quad strength is to get the squat up to a certain level pronto. Once one achieves that level (2x BW or whatever), the foucs becomes much more on pure posterior chain exercises.

I even noticed that my vertical almost always increases when my glute measurement goes up!

[quote]Kelly Baggett wrote:
Kelly, in your works you talk about the VJ correlating well with the squat (which can be a quad dominant movement) My thought is that the VJ is even more closely correlated with the GHR.

The thing is the glutes are THE most important muscle and the squat is about the best glute exercise. The quads are very important up to a certain extent but if carried to far they can start to get in the way and cause problems as Frank experienced. However, the easiest way to develop the needed baseline glute and quad strength is to get the squat up to a certain level pronto. Once one achieves that level (2x BW or whatever), the foucs becomes much more on pure posterior chain exercises. [/quote]