Digesting Dairy

I’m lactose intolerant. If I have a large amount of dairy, I get bad cramps and irregular bowel movements (even if I do take lactaid tablets). However, if I have a small amount (1 cup of milk, 1 serving of cottage cheese) and take lactaid tablets, I seem to do fine.

Should I continue to have dairy products–just in small doses? Or are small doses probably not good for me even if I don’t notice any symptoms? Thanks!

Is that really worth the trouble?

[quote]Limo Driver wrote:
Is that really worth the trouble?[/quote]

Well, it limits my options if I don’t have any dairy. I think milk and cottage cheese are good sources of protein. I like having milk in my oatmeal and I like having cottage cheese before going to bed because it’s a slow digesting protein. My question is whether it’s okay for me to have it in small doses.

Have you tried the Lactaid products? They even make a cottage cheese, which I eat. Not a big fan of milk, because ot the sugar, but the cottage cheese tastes good. A bit pricier then regular milk and cottage cheese. However, I agree with you in saying you should have milk protein in your diet. Cottage cheese’s protein is more potent then the protein in every type of meat, and it is perfect to eat at night for the exact reason you said, it digests slowly.

[quote]vefman wrote:
Have you tried the Lactaid products? They even make a cottage cheese, which I eat. Not a big fan of milk, because ot the sugar, but the cottage cheese tastes good. A bit pricier then regular milk and cottage cheese. However, I agree with you in saying you should have milk protein in your diet. Cottage cheese’s protein is more potent then the protein in every type of meat, and it is perfect to eat at night for the exact reason you said, it digests slowly.[/quote]

I take Lactaid tablets. Does Lactaid make cottage cheese too? I never heard of that. Where do you get it? I don’t know if the problem is entirely the lactose, though, because my stomach doesn’t do well if I have a large amount (maybe 2-3 cups) of lactose-free milk or lactose free whey. I feel fine if I have 1 cup of milk, though.

I go with limo on this one…I have been lactose intolerant all my life.

After trying all the known methods (pills, smaller quantities, milk+additional lactase) it is just not worth the effort because even if you do not feel the discomfort the body is not assimilating the nutrients.

What helped me the best was just to make use of good’ol protein powder (Biotest Whey) and make it in all sort’s of shakes, water based, juice based, hell even cold soup based.

If in need of a cheap alternative using minced meat drop me a line!

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:
even if you do not feel the discomfort the body is not assimilating the nutrients.[/quote]
Thanks; that’s exactly what I was trying to ask.

I’ve actually never heard of minced meat. Can you give me some more info.? Do you have to cook it or does it come cooked?