Difficulty & Money to Insulate Garage?

Make a long story short:…

End of Dec. 07 I made an offer on a short sale townhome. Great place! 24’x15’ unfinished walkout basement w/ 9ft ceilings! Oh yeah, the rest of the townhome was good too… I waited 16 weeks to hear back from Country Wide if the accepted my offer. Needless to say I didn’t hear back in time and the place got forclosed and sold to an REO. %^%$^$#%^$%^#$ 16 fuckn weeks!

So, I’m back to square 1 looking for a place to buy. Ideally I’d like to find something with an unfinished basement to build a serious gym. But I’m now leaning towards a house VS townhome. Currently can’t find any homes in my area w/ unfinished basements that I’d be interested in buying. All the ones w/ unfinished basements are 30+ yrs old or having “TLC problems”.

Alot of places that interest me have finished basements. Not ideal for a gym IMHO, but better for home ownership and resale etc…

So Im curious on converting the garage to a gym. Living in MN it gets cold from Nov-April. And If I want to train comfortably I assume I would need to insulate and drywall the garage? And need some kind of heater?

Does anyone have any experiance with doing this? Difficulty level? Cost? And what kind of heater would I need? Just curious on the total cost to do this.

Thanks bros.
-MNguns

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Make a long story short:…

End of Dec. 07 I made an offer on a short sale townhome. Great place! 24’x15’ unfinished walkout basement w/ 9ft ceilings! Oh yeah, the rest of the townhome was good too… I waited 16 weeks to hear back from Country Wide if the accepted my offer. Needless to say I didn’t hear back in time and the place got forclosed and sold to an REO. %^%$^$#%^$%^#$ 16 fuckn weeks!

So, I’m back to square 1 looking for a place to buy. Ideally I’d like to find something with an unfinished basement to build a serious gym. But I’m now leaning towards a house VS townhome. Currently can’t find any homes in my area w/ unfinished basements that I’d be interested in buying. All the ones w/ unfinished basements are 30+ yrs old or having “TLC problems”.

Alot of places that interest me have finished basements. Not ideal for a gym IMHO, but better for home ownership and resale etc…

So Im curious on converting the garage to a gym. Living in MN it gets cold from Nov-April. And If I want to train comfortably I assume I would need to insulate and drywall the garage? And need some kind of heater?

Does anyone have any experiance with doing this? Difficulty level? Cost? And what kind of heater would I need? Just curious on the total cost to do this.

Thanks bros.
-MNguns[/quote]

I pretty much built my brother’s garage for him two years ago. Insulating isn’t really that bad. Get a few cases of beer and your buddies and bang it out in an afternoon. Drywall isn’t really needed, but you can do it if you have the funds(I used particle board in my brother’s garage). It does look a hell of a lot nicer, but drywalling sucks. I’d hire people to do it if it was me.

How big is the garage? Depending on how comfortable you want to be, you could get away with a kerosene jet heater, or put in a full blown furnace. All boils down to what you want to spend. No matter how well you insulate, if it’s detached from the house it’s not going to hold heat for shit. So if it is detached, I would maybe invest in a furnace.

Thanks for the reply.

So if I want my garage to be warm…
All I need to do is insulate it and get a heater?

I dont need to sheet rock it?

And what kind of heater are we talking?

I did a search on google.
And read about just getting a keroseine heater.

Is just a keroseine heater enough to warm a garage in MN when its -40. Just need it warm enough for a couple hours 3-4 days a week.

What kind of BTU would I need?

Would this still requie insulation?