T Nation

Difficulty Eating in the Morning

I find it really difficult to eat much first thing in the morning. I'm full after a protein shake and oatmeal - any attempt to eat anything more makes me want to throw up.

Anyone the same? Got any suggestions on what I could eat/do to avoid this?

Ditto.

6 eggs is the limit for me.

What has worked though, is to drink a glass of water with some fresh lemon juice in it, and have a slice of pineapple 15-30 minutes before eating. That mainly works with p+f meals, though. If you're planning on having oatmeal, skip the lemon juice and only hae the pineapple and, if you can stomach it, some tobasco sauce.

Apple cider vinegar diluted in water has also helped relieve morning sickness.

The digestion is weak in the morning for some people, so it might be a good idea to have a light breakfast and go heavy on lunch.

If you want to be ravenously hungry hop on a treadmill or take a brisk walk around the block for 30 minutes when you wake up.

Eat a meal of simple carbs before bed. When you wake up you'll be starving.

amonero,

I've heard of the water and lemon juice/vinegar, but never the pineapple and tobasco. Any reason to that, or is this combo something you just had great success with?

Prior to breakfast brush your teeth, wash & shave. It really does help you eat a better breakfast, and you don't look like a bum at breakfast. Five days a week I have olde fashioned Quaker Oats and egg whites. On ocassion I will also mix an amount of vanilla protein in the Oatmeal. Since your next 'feeding' is 3 hours from then you are going to be ok. This is NOT a problem.

Eat less before bed.

Make breakfast the biggest meal of the day, and keep the meals big until bed-time, when you have only a light snack. (or nothing)

I myself don't eat before bed, but my goal isn't to be big.

If your goal is to be big, think of it this way. That small petty meal you eat for breakfast? And that large one you eat before bed. Swap them around. Same total calories. And you'll feel better on waking.

epitome.

Hmmmm, whenever I have a bigger meal at night before bed, I wake up really hungry.

What I found to work best is when I wake up I have the first 1/2 of my breakfast, then I get ready for work. After I get ready I go back and make my protein shake and chug it before I run out the door.

Breaking it up like that helps me to eat more. The split I go for is carbs and some protein first then my protein and some fats about 45min later.

Hope it helps!

I think the OP understands the importance of a big breakfast and is looking for help getting it into his stomach and keeping it there. I can sympathize. I can drink a protein shake down but even a small bowl of oatmeal has to be forced down. Bite by DISGUSTING bite. It doesn't matter if it's my favorite food. Trying to choke it down early in the morning is impossible.

I'll try some of the tricks here but I've found that getting up earlier and waiting it out is my only recourse. After my metabolism and digestion wake up I can eat like a horse but it takes at least a half hour and I'm one of those people who roll out of bed and jump in my car for work. Bringing a big protein shake and a sandwich wrap with me for my commute seems to be the best way to get the calories in early.

Unless its the weekend, I can't get up and make a full meal. So instead, I go the liquid calorie route. I use:

-1 cup cottage cheese
-1 cup yogurt
-2 scoops protein (Biotest's Grow! Whey for neutral flavor.
-1 cup oatmeal
-1 cup mixed berries from costco
-1/2 to 1 cup water

I blend this all up and drink it down no problem. I dont have a hard time eating the same things over and over, so for me this works well. Weekends are eggs, pancakes and fruit. Ive just found liquid calories to be the best, but meal replacements arent enough calories so I blend. Takes a total of 5-10 minutes and then I walk out the door to catch the metro.

My appetite in the morning is non-existent. What I have to do is wake up earlier, have a shake as soon as I get up, and wait until my appetite fires up and I eat before leaving. It's odd, because cortisol levels are high in the morning, and cortisol increases appetite.

I haven't had an appetite in years in the morning. I consume large blender bombs. I can force myself to chug one of those but eating real food just never sits right.

It's not going to hurt your gains. Liquid calories are still calories.

Try out different shakes, I'm sure you can find one you like.

I'm a big fan of tuna shakes.

Can of tuna.
Orange Juice
couple bananas
couple table spoons of canned pumpkin
any other fruits I wanna throw in there.

I ate eggs,toast and milk for breakfast for about a year until I got sick of it. Now I find it easier to make a large smoothie for my breakfast. I drink it as I get ready for work. It makes about 36oz so get a big cup.
2 cups milk
3 scoops vanilla protein
1 banana
1/2 cup strawberries
1/4 cup blueberries
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Right on. Right now this is what I do, Wake up, drink 8 ounces of water, hope on the treadmill for 30mins of brisk high incline walking while drinking another liter of water, shower dress and by this point Im so hungry I could eat a thanksgiving dinner.

The tabasco seems to fire up the digestion and appetite for me, and pineapple contains alot of enzymes that help with that full, sick feeling I get in the morning.

I dont know why, but whenever I drink a glass of water with a few teaspoons of benefiber before bed, I wake up extremely hungry. I've actually woken up during the night a few times because of hunger. Simple carbs before bed will also make you hungry in the morning.

I only ever manage a shake in the morning.

Trick is to make it an awesome shake!

Some frozen berries, 2 eggs, 2 scoops whey, teaspoon creatine, glass of water.

Blend.

Enjoy. Around 500 Calories but not a lot of volume. Quick and easy too!

Add Oats/Weetbix if you want more carbs.
Add flax oil if you want more fat.

Hmm, you know, I honestly thought it was something your body adapts to. For me, before I stopped being an idiot about my nutrition, I had small breakfast (cereal) and large dinners. No appetite in the morning. I slowly started front-loading my calories and it got easier.

Nowadays, my body is just used to getting loads of nutrition when I wake up, so I'm starving and have no problem eating a big meal.