T Nation

Different Workout Types?

Okay guys before i ask this , iam just letting you all know that iam still working out and iam not going to change my workout based on these answers so please answer freely and truthly . The reason iam having to put this question here is cuz iam hated on the Beginner’s forum and if i ask this over there then people will think that iam trying to skip or change my workout plan .

Anyways , getting to the question . Many lifters have comepletly different workouts . Some guys have a 5 day body-split plan , others go just 3 days with all compound lifts , some do several isolation excercises on work days for every body part idividually , some rely on calistehnics . but in the end they are all trying to gain muscle ! so why the big difference ? I mean , lets say person A is a powerlifter and B is an athlete , then its understandable that they should have different workouts .

But lets say there are 2 guys who both have the exact same goals , have been working out for the same time , similar build and height , etc , and both aim on just building muscle for appearance , but yet one seems to be doing just compound lifts while the other has isolation excericises for each body part . and yet they can argue to support their own different workout types ! but why this difference and what would really be the most productive ? productive in the sense of trying to gain overall muscle and build abs but not end up too chunky like mose powerlifters ( no offence , their strength is still mindblowing )

Different life schedules, different “strong” and “weak” bodyparts, different recovery ability, different ability to lift with intensity, different diet, different preferences, different beliefs about lifting, different mindsets. If person A loves hitting everything 2x a week and hates 1x a week, he’s going to be a lot happier doing a program that hits everything 2x a week. That matters.

And more frequent training does not have to mean not doing isolation movements.

Though if someone’s goal is a completely balanced physique, only doing compound lifts exclusively is short-sighted.

“Most productive” has a lot of variables (what I listed above and more). One size does not fit all, but there are components of a good workout program that are pretty universal.

Geneticburgers!

[quote]fisch wrote:
Different life schedules, different “strong” and “weak” bodyparts, different recovery ability, different ability to lift with intensity, different diet, different preferences, different beliefs about lifting, different mindsets. If person A loves hitting everything 2x a week and hates 1x a week, he’s going to be a lot happier doing a program that hits everything 2x a week. That matters.

And more frequent training does not have to mean not doing isolation movements.

Though if someone’s goal is a completely balanced physique, only doing compound lifts exclusively is short-sighted.

“Most productive” has a lot of variables (what I listed above and more). One size does not fit all, but there are components of a good workout program that are pretty universal.[/quote]

mmm , right. so its just a matter of trial and error to see what suits u ? cuz i’ve just been trying to get my abs and i’ve been having to deal with a shiz load of opinions !

A lot of it is genetics. Different people will respond differently to the same stimuli. Also mental. Different training philosophies and personality types. You must believe in what you’re doing for it to work to full effectiveness.

I feel that the best training routine isn’t necessarily the most “effective” one, it’s the one that you’ll stick to with consistency and intensity.

So for that reason I believe that the best routine you can do is the one that you will enjoy, look forward to and stick with. That’s what accounts for a huge proportion of the variation in my mind. Some people really enjoy annihilating one or two bodyparts in a session with high reps, others enjoy straining against a really heavy weight. Both ways of training work (especially with modest goals such as your own), so you’ve got to do whatever you are motivated to do.

Obviously the other factors mentioned play a big role too: goals, genetics, time available, recovery etc.

I think the best thing to do is experiment with different training styles (but allow each style a good length of time). Build up your knowledge of your own preferences and how your own body responds, then go from there.

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
cuz i’ve just been trying to get my abs…[/quote]

I suspected this was the core issue…
Visible abs are not the result of a training program; they are the result of proper dieting protocol.

just like most things there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

[quote]furo wrote:
I feel that the best training routine isn’t necessarily the most “effective” one, it’s the one that you’ll stick to with consistency and intensity.

So for that reason I believe that the best routine you can do is the one that you will enjoy, look forward to and stick with. That’s what accounts for a huge proportion of the variation in my mind. Some people really enjoy annihilating one or two bodyparts in a session with high reps, others enjoy straining against a really heavy weight. Both ways of training work (especially with modest goals such as your own), so you’ve got to do whatever you are motivated to do.

Obviously the other factors mentioned play a big role too: goals, genetics, time available, recovery etc.

I think the best thing to do is experiment with different training styles (but allow each style a good length of time). Build up your knowledge of your own preferences and how your own body responds, then go from there.[/quote]

right , thanks man

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
cuz i’ve just been trying to get my abs…[/quote]

I suspected this was the core issue…
Visible abs are not the result of a training program; they are the result of proper dieting protocol.
[/quote]

i was just clearing my doubts -__- and my diet is clean ,theres nothing wrong with it .

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
my diet is clean ,theres nothing wrong with it . [/quote]
You’re 6 feet tall, under 140 pounds, and you’ve been trying to “get abs” for the last eight months.

So, no.

And to address your original question, the old saying “Everything works… for about six weeks” is true to a point. That’s why different people may get similar results with different methods. But the important thing to look for is what they’re doing that’s the same. There will almost-always be similarities on the most basic level.

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
not end up too chunky like mose powerlifters ( no offence , their strength is still mindblowing ) [/quote]

Most powerlifters are chunky?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
not end up too chunky like mose powerlifters ( no offence , their strength is still mindblowing ) [/quote]

Most powerlifters are chunky?[/quote]
Why you so chunky brah?

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
not end up too chunky like mose powerlifters ( no offence , their strength is still mindblowing ) [/quote]

Most powerlifters are chunky?[/quote]
Why you so chunky brah?[/quote]

I just can’t understand the incentive for someone in a weight class based sport to carry around a whole bunch of extra fat. Maybe in the SHW class, where there is no weight limit.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
my diet is clean ,theres nothing wrong with it . [/quote]
You’re 6 feet tall, under 140 pounds, and you’ve been trying to “get abs” for the last eight months.

So, no.

And to address your original question, the old saying “Everything works… for about six weeks” is true to a point. That’s why different people may get similar results with different methods. But the important thing to look for is what they’re doing that’s the same. There will almost-always be similarities on the most basic level.[/quote]

Its perfectly alright , everyone else on the Beginner thread said that it was alright . Just because someone doesnt have a physique of a 170 pound man doesnt mean that hes not eating the required amount . Ever considered that i might just be eating the correct amount but still have a surpless of calorie usage ? iam sure u didnt consider that . FYI its the last 6 months and that too the last month and a half i havent been able to use the gym . I dont know how u converted 4.5 months to 8 months ( genius ) . and that too , all this time i’ve only been doing what people on this website have instructed me to . i dropped all my previous workouts except my sports , took up weight lifting for the first time in my life , organised my diet , never skipped a workout regardless or illness or injury , i dont see my mistake here !

Okay , well u say that the basics will have to be the same right ? well , compare this . Person A and B are both aiming for abs . A does a ton of isolation excercised but no crunches or sit ups . B does all compound , lets say SL 5X5 . Following this way , isnt A on the wrong workout ? considering the goal to be to get abs

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
not end up too chunky like mose powerlifters ( no offence , their strength is still mindblowing ) [/quote]

Most powerlifters are chunky?[/quote]

well i guess thats not the right word . broad maybe ? well , what i mean is they dont have much of a v-taper in comparison to most other athletes . and they just have that overall box shape , if u get what i mean . that lack of definition is clearly present

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
not end up too chunky like mose powerlifters ( no offence , their strength is still mindblowing ) [/quote]

Most powerlifters are chunky?[/quote]
Why you so chunky brah?[/quote]

I just can’t understand the incentive for someone in a weight class based sport to carry around a whole bunch of extra fat. Maybe in the SHW class, where there is no weight limit.
[/quote]

Well according to Mehdi , the heavier u are , the easier it is to lift . with squats being the exclusion . And considering that muscle is more difficult to gain than fat , maybe that extra fat was a last minute addition ? just providing a suggestion here .

Why don’t you do the Crossfits?

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
Okay , well u say that the basics will have to be the same right ? well , compare this . Person A and B are both aiming for abs . A does a ton of isolation excercised but no crunches or sit ups . B does all compound , lets say SL 5X5 . Following this way , isnt A on the wrong workout ? considering the goal to be to get abs [/quote]

The routine they are using will have little, if any, impact on the visibility of their abs.

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
not end up too chunky like mose powerlifters ( no offence , their strength is still mindblowing ) [/quote]

Most powerlifters are chunky?[/quote]
Why you so chunky brah?[/quote]

I just can’t understand the incentive for someone in a weight class based sport to carry around a whole bunch of extra fat. Maybe in the SHW class, where there is no weight limit.
[/quote

Well according to Mehdi , the heavier u are , the easier it is to lift . with squats being the exclusion . And considering that muscle is more difficult to gain than fat , maybe that extra fat was a last minute addition ? just providing a suggestion here . [/quote]
being heavier helps the bench and squat. Most people deadlift better actually during a cut.

also you really aren’t eating enough if you’re 140 at that height