T Nation

Different Versions of Nike Frees

Looking to get a pair of these off Ebay, I remember Eric Cressey recommending them a while back. But do the different versions (5.0, 7.0 matter)? Thought I heard that the original kind were different from the later ones.

Nike has highly trained, full time minions who start innocent looking threads specially designed to hypnotize the masses. Some websites have had 4 or 5 threads started over the last year all with the aim of controlling your mind. You have free will. Do not buy Nike Frees.

[quote]dwilliams wrote:
Nike has highly trained, full time minions who start innocent looking threads specially designed to hypnotize the masses. Some websites have had 4 or 5 threads started over the last year all with the aim of controlling your mind. You have free will. Do not buy Nike Frees. [/quote]

Except that they’re one of the most comfortable tennis shoes I’ve ever worn.

The 7.0s are the trainers, the 5.0s are for running I believe.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Looking to get a pair of these off Ebay, I remember Eric Cressey recommending them a while back. But do the different versions (5.0, 7.0 matter)? Thought I heard that the original kind were different from the later ones.[/quote]

The bigger the number the more support in the shoe. Basically, a “10” would be regular Nike with a lot of support. A “1” would be bubblewrap on your feet.

I believe that the number represents the ‘scale.’

10 being a regular shoe, 1 being barefoot. So a 7 has more structure then the 5, and the 5 has more then the 3.

Then there is the running verison, and the training version, but the only difference I know is the velcrow strap around the toe.

I love both my 5 and 7 trainers, the 5’s being my favorite by far, just because they are extremely comfortable.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

The bigger the number the more support in the shoe. Basically, a “10” would be regular Nike with a lot of support. A “1” would be bubblewrap on your feet.[/quote]

Beat me to it.

GDollars37 wrote:
Looking to get a pair of these off Ebay, I remember Eric Cressey recommending them a while back. But do the different versions (5.0, 7.0 matter)? Thought I heard that the original kind were different from the later ones.

The bigger the number the more support in the shoe. Basically, a “10” would be regular Nike with a lot of support. A “1” would be bubblewrap on your feet.[/quote]

Awesome, thanks. And correct me if I’m wrong, but lifting as close to barefoot as possible is a pretty good idea, but running the same way is not?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:

The bigger the number the more support in the shoe. Basically, a “10” would be regular Nike with a lot of support. A “1” would be bubblewrap on your feet.

Awesome, thanks. And correct me if I’m wrong, but lifting as close to barefoot as possible is a pretty good idea, but running the same way is not?[/quote]

I think that depends on the individual. I personally would need more support if running (something I hate doing). I wear them strictly for the gym. I have at least 3 of the 5.0’s in storage just in case they ever discontinue them. That is how much I like them.

GDollars37 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:

Awesome, thanks. And correct me if I’m wrong, but lifting as close to barefoot as possible is a pretty good idea, but running the same way is not?

I think that depends on the individual. I personally would need more support if running (something I hate doing). I wear them strictly for the gym. I have at least 3 of the 5.0’s in storage just in case they ever discontinue them. That is how much I like them.[/quote]

I dig Frees, but do they just plain fall apart on you? I think I went through 3 pair of 5 trainers last summer.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Professor X wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:

I think that depends on the individual. I personally would need more support if running (something I hate doing). I wear them strictly for the gym. I have at least 3 of the 5.0’s in storage just in case they ever discontinue them. That is how much I like them.

I dig Frees, but do they just plain fall apart on you? I think I went through 3 pair of 5 trainers last summer.
[/quote]

They’ve lasted me about one a year. I take care of my shit.

Had mine for a year, still going strong.

i love my 7.0s i like prof X stocked up on them in case they discontinue

You guys should try out wrestling shoes. They’re half the price of the Nike Free.

[quote]NDM wrote:
You guys should try out wrestling shoes. They’re half the price of the Nike Free.[/quote]

It’s not the same and definitely not the same for running.

I have a few different pairs of Free’s and would not recommend the Nike Free Gym if you are looking to run at all. I’ve tried a few times, very uncomfortable. I’ve liked the Nike Free Trainers although after a while the velcro starts to lose it’s stick. It took about 1.5 years for my first pair to do that, and ~1+years for my second pair.

The biggest thing I’d say about the Free’s to keep in mind is sizing. They differ a little from model to model as well as they differ from your regular shoe size. I typically wear a 11 in a regular sneaker/dress shoe. I’ve had a 12 and a 11.5 and the 11.5 with socks is a little snug while the 12 without socks is too big. Note, you are suppose to wear these shoes sockless.

GDollars37 wrote:

Shouldn’t you change your name to Luke Cage X?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lukecage.PNG

Just saying…this probably belongs in the GEEK thread though.

I too love my Nike Free 5’s. I am just a freak for comfortable shoes and socks. I picked the 5 running shoe because it felt the most comfortable of the different models, even though I don’t run if I can help it. I would run in them on grass or an indoor track, but on a hard surface I would probably want more cushioning.

Add a Smartwool micro-weight sock, and it doesn’t get any better than that for feet.

My other shoes show uneven wear on the heels, but not my Nike Frees. Interesting…

I’m gonna go buy some more right now; that is a great idea.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
[/quote]

How much were you running? They’ll probably last forever in the gym, but I ran mine hard for a summer and they fell apart.

You should look up the Newtons. Its a new company. I recently bought a pair of their trainers and its by far the best shoe I’ve ever run in.
Incomparable.

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

How much were you running? They’ll probably last forever in the gym, but I ran mine hard for a summer and they fell apart. [/quote]

I think that is the problem. I probably put on 20 miles a week maybe?

I have a pair of 7s I bought off my roommate for $5. They’re awesome, I sprint and lift in ‘em and they hold up great. I’m thinkin’ about buyin’ some 5s just to walk around in.