DIfferent Types of Fats

Can someone explain to me the different types of fats, and their purposes. I hear a lot about Omega-3, Saturated fats, monostaurate, etc., but i never understand. For me fat has always been fat, and something i tried to avoid. Can someone clarify the differences, benefits, disadvantages, and if theyre good for someone with a slow metabolism. Thank you.

I’m not a nutrition expert, but I reccommend getting the notion that eating fat will make you fat. That simply is not the case. I find that about 30% of your caloric intake should come from fats, depending on how you decide to deal with your carbs.

There are three different types: saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. You should try to balance your total fat intake between the three types. This means getting a 1/3 of your total fat calories from each type. 

Just to help you out:

Sources of saturated fat: animal fats (eggs, dairy, red meat, butter), coconut oil and palm oil

Sources of monounsaturated fat: olive oil, nuts, avocado

Sources of polyunsaturated fat: flax seeds/oil and fish oil

I’d say get yourself Flameout if you haven’t already. I don’t get too caught up in it, but I know if I take my flame out, eat some almonds/cashews here and there and eat my red meat, most of my bases will be covered.

Good luck

So fats can be GOOD for you? I heard this somewhere, that omega fatty acids help brain development, or some other stuff like that. Arent saturated fats bad for you?

No, they’re not, it was misinformation. Do some digging and you’ll find the articles, I just read one on mens health the other day. And yes fat is good for you, there are essential fatty acids you MUST eat that your body can not produce. Saturated fat is also needed for proper hormone production. Definitely make sure you’re eating fish and/or taking alot fish oil since most Americans Omega3 to Omega6 ratio is way off, in favor of more 6’s.

Bottom line- EAT YOUR FATS. Fats do not make you fat.

Dude, where ya been? heh. Do some research and you will learn something that so many people out there have no clue about - fat is not the enemy. To me, the bigger enemy is combining carbs and fats in the same meal. I’m not talking about the incidental fats or carbs found in foods (like having a lean chicken breast that inherently has a few grams of fat + eating some rice, or having a high fat and protein meal that has a few grams of carbs in it).

Fats are vital, and all of them are important (except trans fats - those are man made and if you notice, there is no recommended daily value. That’s because you should literally avoid them like people used to say avoid saturated fat).

If you have lower carbs in your diet, you should increase your fats. If you have higher fats, you need to decrease your carbs. This is a general rule. Protein of course always stays pretty constant, at least 1g per pound of bodyweight. I think of my diet in terms of how I manipulate carbs and fats.

Do the reading, especially reading which englightens you on how saturated fat is NOT the enemy, and for BB’s and lifters alike, will help in elevating T levels. Like everything else, just don’t overdo it.

=nutrition&category=food.for.fitness&conitem=
b675909829731110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

Fat is ESSENTIAL. Your brain is 60% fat, half of that being omega-3. Your hormones are made out of cholesterol. And the vitamins A, D, E and K can only be absorbed in combination with dietary fat.

The consequences of not eating fat can be seen all around you. Castrated men and cold women, suffering from sex hormone deficiencies. Children wearing glasses because they couldn’t absorb their useless Flintstones vitamin A. And idiots everywhere, brains decayed from lack of fat intake. A population of sub-humans, under the reign of Big Ag’s Food Pyramid.

Yes, by eating fat you will transform into a superman among cretins. I am living proof.

But, what kind of fat? Some people will say 1/3 saturated, 1/3 monounsaturated and 1/3 polyunsaturated. This is bullshit.

Get thyself on NutritionData.com. Now find me an animal that is 1/3 of each type of fat. Let me save you some time: You won’t find any.

I added together the fat ratios of chicken, pork, beef, salmon, mussels and cow brains (which are high in omega-3). The result was that the fat of all these, melted together into some kind of super fat, was 2/5 saturated, 2/5 monounsaturated and 1/5 polyunsaturated. And this is how your diet should be.

Excessive polyunsaturated fat can be harmful. Just ask Udo Erasmus. Polyunsaturated fat has a lot of “play” in it, and is prone to oxidization. You don’t want too many unstable molecules in your body, better just to get enough, and call it a day.

Saturated fats and monounsaturated fats are the more stable. Now, some people will tell you that avocado, nuts and olive oil are the best sources of monounsaturated fat. Bullshit again.

The animals you eat are typically slightly higher in monounsaturated fat than they are in saturated fat! Look all over NutritionData.com if you don’t believe me.

But the notion of animals being predominantly saturated fat is based on a vegan-ass lie combined with ignorant saturated fat hate. Ha, it’s like two pathetic lies in one. Sue PETA if they’ve hurt you, but this is the truth.

You don’t need olive oil or avocados. Eat meat for saturated AND monounsaturated fat. (And for the most highly absorbed and highly complete proteins, including taurine and carnitine which are amino acids found only in meat!)

You might not need olive oil and avocados, but what you do likely need, are omega-3 fats. This is because, even if you do eat meat, you probably aren’t eating the proportions. Pigs, chickens and corn-fed beef are all much higher in omega-6 than in omega-3 fat, on the order of 10:1 to 30:1. And the ideal is a ratio of 3:2 (omega-6 to omega-3).

You can meet this ratio exactly, by eating only grass-fed beef and other grass-fed ruminants, such as buffalo, venison and mutton or lamb, which are themselves 3:2. Or, you can eat fish to make up for the chicken and pork you are eating. Fish are higher in omega-3 than omega-6, anywhere between 1:5 and 1:25. This is just about how badly chicken and pork are skewed toward omega-6.

So you’ll want to eat fish as much as you eat chicken or pork, with beef as a freebie, covering for itself. Oh, and eat some liver too, dammit. There are so many vitamins and minerals there, you can’t afford to skip it.

Get most of your calories from animals. Fuck carbs. There are four basic types of plants that are high enough in calories that one can “get their calories from”. These are grains, legumes (beans), tubers, and nuts. And guess what: All of them require processing to eat. That is, they are toxic in their natural state. Even cooked, they contain anti-nutrients, such as phytic acid and tannins. So what scarce and shoddy, plant-based nutrients (precursors to animal-based nutrients) one can find in these “foods” are even then blocked by the toxins within. What a load of crap these foods are.

There are some better plants to eat, such as taproots (carrots, parsnips, beets, etc.), leafy greens (kale, brocolli, etc.) and all manner of fruits (including squash and avocado). But these aren’t that calorically dense. Therefore, get most of your calories from animals. Sure, have some nuts (just not raw nuts). Coconut is especially nice, since unlike the others (almonds, pecans, etc.), it isn’t an overload of omega-6. But for the most part, animals are the best staple, with everything else on the side.

You’ll get lots of protein and fat, vitamins and minerals, from the best source: animal meat and organs. You’ll get a negligible amount of carbs from those sides mentioned in the proceeding paragraph, useful for those days when protein can’t be synthesized fast enough into glucose. This is the best diet for man. Everything else, I say, is bullshit.

Thanks a lot of the info guys, really helpful!

[quote]Kailash wrote:
Fat is ESSENTIAL. Your brain is 60% fat, half of that being omega-3. Your hormones are made out of cholesterol. And the vitamins A, D, E and K can only be absorbed in combination with dietary fat.

The consequences of not eating fat can be seen all around you. Castrated men and cold women, suffering from sex hormone deficiencies. Children wearing glasses because they couldn’t absorb their useless Flintstones vitamin A. And idiots everywhere, brains decayed from lack of fat intake. A population of sub-humans, under the reign of Big Ag’s Food Pyramid.

Yes, by eating fat you will transform into a superman among cretins. I am living proof.

But, what kind of fat? Some people will say 1/3 saturated, 1/3 monounsaturated and 1/3 polyunsaturated. This is bullshit.

Get thyself on NutritionData.com. Now find me an animal that is 1/3 of each type of fat. Let me save you some time: You won’t find any.

I added together the fat ratios of chicken, pork, beef, salmon, mussels and cow brains (which are high in omega-3). The result was that the fat of all these, melted together into some kind of super fat, was 2/5 saturated, 2/5 monounsaturated and 1/5 polyunsaturated. And this is how your diet should be.

Excessive polyunsaturated fat can be harmful. Just ask Udo Erasmus. Polyunsaturated fat has a lot of “play” in it, and is prone to oxidization. You don’t want too many unstable molecules in your body, better just to get enough, and call it a day.

Saturated fats and monounsaturated fats are the more stable. Now, some people will tell you that avocado, nuts and olive oil are the best sources of monounsaturated fat. Bullshit again.

The animals you eat are typically slightly higher in monounsaturated fat than they are in saturated fat! Look all over NutritionData.com if you don’t believe me.

But the notion of animals being predominantly saturated fat is based on a vegan-ass lie combined with ignorant saturated fat hate. Ha, it’s like two pathetic lies in one. Sue PETA if they’ve hurt you, but this is the truth.

You don’t need olive oil or avocados. Eat meat for saturated AND monounsaturated fat. (And for the most highly absorbed and highly complete proteins, including taurine and carnitine which are amino acids found only in meat!)

You might not need olive oil and avocados, but what you do likely need, are omega-3 fats. This is because, even if you do eat meat, you probably aren’t eating the proportions. Pigs, chickens and corn-fed beef are all much higher in omega-6 than in omega-3 fat, on the order of 10:1 to 30:1. And the ideal is a ratio of 3:2 (omega-6 to omega-3).

You can meet this ratio exactly, by eating only grass-fed beef and other grass-fed ruminants, such as buffalo, venison and mutton or lamb, which are themselves 3:2. Or, you can eat fish to make up for the chicken and pork you are eating. Fish are higher in omega-3 than omega-6, anywhere between 1:5 and 1:25. This is just about how badly chicken and pork are skewed toward omega-6.

So you’ll want to eat fish as much as you eat chicken or pork, with beef as a freebie, covering for itself. Oh, and eat some liver too, dammit. There are so many vitamins and minerals there, you can’t afford to skip it.

Get most of your calories from animals. Fuck carbs. There are four basic types of plants that are high enough in calories that one can “get their calories from”. These are grains, legumes (beans), tubers, and nuts. And guess what: All of them require processing to eat. That is, they are toxic in their natural state. Even cooked, they contain anti-nutrients, such as phytic acid and tannins. So what scarce and shoddy, plant-based nutrients (precursors to animal-based nutrients) one can find in these “foods” are even then blocked by the toxins within. What a load of crap these foods are.

There are some better plants to eat, such as taproots (carrots, parsnips, beets, etc.), leafy greens (kale, brocolli, etc.) and all manner of fruits (including squash and avocado). But these aren’t that calorically dense. Therefore, get most of your calories from animals. Sure, have some nuts (just not raw nuts). Coconut is especially nice, since unlike the others (almonds, pecans, etc.), it isn’t an overload of omega-6. But for the most part, animals are the best staple, with everything else on the side.

You’ll get lots of protein and fat, vitamins and minerals, from the best source: animal meat and organs. You’ll get a negligible amount of carbs from those sides mentioned in the proceeding paragraph, useful for those days when protein can’t be synthesized fast enough into glucose. This is the best diet for man. Everything else, I say, is bullshit.[/quote]

This is actually just what I was looking for thanks. I’ve always heard saturated fat is bad and thats what you need to watch for. Thanks for the clarification.

Kailash- Wny do you say not to eat raw nuts? What the hell is wrong with almonds/walnuts/pecans? Please provide some sources so everyone can have a look.

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
Kailash- Wny do you say not to eat raw nuts? What the hell is wrong with almonds/walnuts/pecans? Please provide some sources so everyone can have a look.[/quote]

Well, you know that brown, flaky skin on almonds, walnuts and pecans? That’s meant to keep them from being eaten. Nuts are seeds, with a little baby tree inside. That baby is supposed to eat the nut from the inside out. Not us on the outside, eating our ways in.

The nut skin (heh, nut skin) battles our digestive enzymes, trying to protect the baby tree and his food. But we can take the skin off and then eat 'em up, without complications.

Soaking the nuts overnight or toasting them (method depending on the nut) will allow the skin to be more easily removed. And almonds are available commercial blanched, though I’ve never seen walnuts and pecans sold in this way. Cooking also helps to neutralize some of the anti-nutrients, but doesn’t get them all.

So I would eat blanched nuts when available, cooked if you’re feeling lazy (like me), and plenty of nutritious animals to make up for any deficiency that those retarded vegans will get from trying to be “seed”-ivores. Haha on them. We have it good.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461360

here ya go.

Hmm…never heard anything like that before, and I’ve eaten a shitload of raw almonds and never had any stomach problems. But if I do, I’ll start soaking them.