Different Squat Depths?

If I squat twice a week should I squat to a different height on the second day? Right now I have been doing 3x10 on one day and 10x3 on the other. Both days I have been doing high-bar O-squats to 10". Should I squat higher on one day, or maybe use a different bar/foot position?

Try alternating high bar and low bar squats.

Okay. Should I still go down to 10" with a low bar position or widen my stance and just go to parallel on that day? That would be like O-squatting one day and power squatting the other. What do you think?

anyone?

[quote]Dorso wrote:
anyone?[/quote]

Well I think this is a matter of preference only to a large extent. Sure, changing squat posture (within reason) must be a good thing - partial squats, wide stance, ass-to-grass, negatives, etc. All these things will help keep the muscles on their toes.

You don’t have to mix things up every workout though. Furthermore, it’s even more important to do other exercises that challenge the legs in entirely different ways: lunges are my personal killer, for example, but jumps, step-ups, glute-ham raises are also very challenging, with the right weight. :slight_smile: Doing these is probably more important than slightly changing a squat position, IMHO anyway. :slight_smile:

Regards,

WiZlon

I think you should ask less question and squat more, and full ROM on both.

[quote]Dorso wrote:
anyone?[/quote]

The problem with your question is that you haven’t provided any other information with your post. The main question being; what are your goals?

A little recent training history would be good to know as well.

I like to alternate between deep squats and front squats. I just recently started the front squats and like them.

I’m a little over 6’1", 190-195lbs. I’ve been lifting seriously for 3 1/2 yrs. Until the beginning of this year I had been doing Westside for about a year (not a PLer though) until I hurt my shoulder. I eased back into lifing in Febuary after a month off and just did HIT for a while excluding any upper-body pressing. Started doing a little chest stuff until there was no pain but chest is still weak.

I lost about 10lbs over the last 6 months mainly because I couldn’t lift heavy for upper-body so I lost some fat instead (was 205). In this time I even increased my leg strength a little (DL went from 405x5 to 405x8). For the past month I have been doing the following split:
(every thing for 3x10 except where noted)

Mon-
high bar squat to 10"
leg curl
back extension
leg raises 3x_
seated calves

Tues-
chin 10x3
DB bench
bb row
seated tri ex.
EZ bar curl

Thurs-
high-bar squat to 10" 10x3
step up w. knee raise
leg ex.
standing abs or side bends
standing calves

Fri-
neutral chin 3X_
low inc. DB bench or pec deck
T-bar row
cable push down or dips(if I did peck dec)
DB curl/hammer curl

(15 min cardio warm-up on lifting days and probably 30 min of cario on two off days)

My goal is to build some muscle for a while without while losing a little more fat until my shoulder is 100%. I also want to work on some weak points:
lats, calves, quads, and shoulders.

I stopped doind DLs for a while and started doing full squats on both leg days for a while to try to bring up my quads and flexibity but that means using pansie weights on both days. I was considering squatting on like a 12 or 13" box on the second day as a compromise. I have’t power-squatted since I hurt my shoulder 7 months ago but I think I could now. Should I? What do you think?

Oh yeah, I meant for my current workout to be more of a rehab thing but I have been making good gains on chins DB presses and full squats I will stick with if for about another month the maybe GVT before Waterbury. Thanks.

I would suggest box squats and either front or high-bar squats. High-bar squats twice a week tend to be rather draining. Box squats work your hamstrings more, and front squats kill your quads.

[quote]Dorso wrote:
Thurs-
[/quote]

Are you doing these with lighter wieghts (50-60% of 1RM) for speed? Or are they with heavier weights? If you’re doing them with lighter weights, I’d be worried that you just aren’t getting enough intensity since your other workout is 3x10 which can’t be more than about 75% of your 1RM.

What did you do to your shoulder? Are you doing any rotator cuff work? You may not even have a rotator cuff problem , but I’ve found that gaining strength there only helps my pressing movements.

Do close stance high bar squats one day and wide stance low bar squats another. The wide stance ones I would do around 12-14" unless your hips are really strong. You could always do goodmornings or deadlifts on one day too.

[quote]dcb wrote:
Dorso wrote:
Thurs-

Are you doing these with lighter wieghts (50-60% of 1RM) for speed? Or are they with heavier weights? If you’re doing them with lighter weights, I’d be worried that you just aren’t getting enough intensity since your other workout is 3x10 which can’t be more than about 75% of your 1RM.

What did you do to your shoulder? Are you doing any rotator cuff work? You may not even have a rotator cuff problem , but I’ve found that gaining strength there only helps my pressing movements. [/quote]

No they are not dynamic. I do them pretty slow (4121 maybe). I am using about 65% of my parallel squat max but that is really heavy for my using a high bar position, shoulder width stance and low box height(just touch and go to check depth).

I think I hury my rotator cuff. I forgot to add that I do lateral raises on one upper body day and rear laterals on the other. I do light external rotation as part of my warm up each upper body day.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Take a look at the Sweet Sixteen article by Coach Davies. I’m doing it and it does make sense! It’s working.[/quote]

Wow that is alot of squatting. I like the program but I would doing an extra hour to two hours of driving a day to go to the gym that many times. I wish I had a high enough box at my gym to do the high step ups.