T Nation

Different Sized Lats

Noticed today that my right lat is visibly larger than my left.

I'm a powerlifter and I don't do much single arm training at all. In fact all I so single arm are Kroc rows and bicep curls, and if anything my right arm tends to be weaker.

So, any ideas about causes and more importantly, solutions?

I've got a slight tweak of some sort in my left upper arm which has been there for a few weeks but is getting better.

I've noticed absolutely no odd movements for barbell presses, rows, DL, etc. The bar moves smoothly and without and tilting in any weird direction. I used to sometimes come up crooked (right faster) doing pull ups but that stopped months ago.

I am flummoxed.

Do you use a mixed grip when you deadlift?

Do you use a mixed grip while deadlifting?

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Noticed today that my right lat is visibly larger than my left.

I’m a powerlifter and I don’t do much single arm training at all. In fact all I so single arm are Kroc rows and bicep curls, and if anything my right arm tends to be weaker.

So, any ideas about causes and more importantly, solutions?

I’ve got a slight tweak of some sort in my left upper arm which has been there for a few weeks but is getting better.

I’ve noticed absolutely no odd movements for barbell presses, rows, DL, etc. The bar moves smoothly and without and tilting in any weird direction. I used to sometimes come up crooked (right faster) doing pull ups but that stopped months ago.

I am flummoxed. [/quote]

Do a more strict DB row, focusing on lat contraction. There’s some decent isolateral row machines in most gyms that, IMHO, are good.

Whatever you do, focus on the contraction. Pretend you’re a bodybuilder.

I do use mix grip for heavier sets, but only when I can’t use matched. I’m working on my grip, so happily I’m able to use matched grip more than I used to. When I use mixed grip I alternate hands pretty evenly, either each rep or each set, precisely because I didn’t want this imbalance. Apparently that didn’t work as well as I’d hoped.

Thanks for the tips, I think what I’ll do is add some isolateral machine rows at the end of every session for high-ish reps just on my left side and whenever I do Kroc rows I’ll add an extra set on my left side. When thnigs are even again I’ll just keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t go out of kilter again.

Do you sleep on the smaller side?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Do you sleep on the smaller side?[/quote]

Sometimes, not often. More often the larger side, but not by too much.

the solution is to make your lats huge. Shit like this becomes less noticeable when you’re huge

I’m certain any number of life problems more pressing than this can still be solved by growing huge lats.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
the solution is to make your lats huge. Shit like this becomes less noticeable when you’re huge[/quote]

I like this solution.