T Nation

Different Reps for Different Exercises?

All routines that I have looked at in the past that cycle rep ranges state for ex. Week 1 - 5 (reps) x 3, week 2 - 8 x 3, week 3 12 x 2. But after speaking to an experianced gym go’er, he told me that I should be doing differnt rep ranges for different exercises, rather than using this rep range guide for all the exercises.

After I told him my goals are for muscle mass, he said were I’m doing between 5 - 12 reps from 3 to 2 sets for my bench, I should be doing from 3 - 6 reps for 3 - 5 sets for deads and 4 - 8 reps for 3 - 5 sets. Because any more than this on squats and deads may compromise form and turn them into more of a endurance exercise.

What are people opinions on this or shall I stick to following the same rep ranges for all exercises?

For bigger/heavier exercises I will do sets of 5-10 reps, and for smaller exercises that require stricter form I will do sets of 10-15 reps

Simple as that. No need to “cycle” rep ranges throughout the week, just keep your exercises in one of those ranges and try to achieve progressive overload as often as possible (while staying in those ranges).

[quote]Beach wrote:
All routines that I have looked at in the past that cycle rep ranges state for ex. Week 1 - 5 (reps) x 3, week 2 - 8 x 3, week 3 12 x 2. But after speaking to an experianced gym go’er, he told me that I should be doing differnt rep ranges for different exercises, rather than using this rep range guide for all the exercises.

After I told him my goals are for muscle mass, he said were I’m doing between 5 - 12 reps from 3 to 2 sets for my bench, I should be doing from 3 - 6 reps for 3 - 5 sets for deads and 4 - 8 reps for 3 - 5 sets. Because any more than this on squats and deads may compromise form and turn them into more of a endurance exercise.

What are people opinions on this or shall I stick to following the same rep ranges for all exercises? [/quote]

15 or more reps for quads
8 and under for hammys
delts generally 15 plus except power movements like shoulder presses, upright rows etc etc
everything else heavy and hard for anywhere from 5-13

thats all i will add for now…

Anth

[quote]Beach wrote:

What are people opinions on this or shall I stick to following the same rep ranges for all exercises? [/quote]

oh and yes as previously stated there generally must be a progression with atleast a few of your movements…one or more reps extra or 5-10 pounds more…

Anth