U.S.: Fanny = Ass

UK & Down Under: Fanny = pussy

Correct??[/quote]

yup, thats the one.

“fanny pack” always crackes me up.

In USA - Rubber = Condom
In Aus - Rubber = Pencil Eraser
- Knickers = Girls undies

I’ve been in Australia since birth and I still haven’t seen a kangaroo! Ah shit hang on I’ve eaten kangaroo meat but that doesn’t count.

Do Americans use the word dickhead?
Do Americans have “Fish & Chips” shops?

Well we say “dickhead” in Canada, and it basically means “asshole”. We also have Fish & Chip shops here in British Columbia, but then again we used to have Marks & Spencers as well.

Here for our American and other non-Canadian English speakers, are some words commonly used in Canadian English, like every day:

dick : nothing, in particular “dick all” means “nothing”. “What did you do yesterday?” “Dick.”
deke : to dodge (origin: hockey)
caeser : like a bloody mary but with clam juice in it
homo milk : whole milk, yes we seriously call it that
toque : “beenie” or “skull cap” or “ski hat”
nanaimo bar : a type of Canadian brownie
poutine : canadian french fries covered with cheese curds and gravy
robertson screw(driver) : in Canada we have our own screw head, seriously.
garburator : garbage disposal unit in Canadian
shit disturbor : an instigator or trouble maker
runners : sneakers (trainers)
KD : Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
serviette : napkin (origin: french)

There’s a few.

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
Miniross,

I wouldn’t go around saying that you were “puffing on a fag” in the US :)[/quote]

Yeah, I bet “bumming a fag” takes on a whole new meaning in the U.S.

In Pittsburgh we have all kinds of goofy dialect.

Yinz- you people, ex. Are yinz guys going out later on?
Red Up- straighten up or clean the house. ex. You gotta red up the house before yinz take off.
There are a bunch more but I just can’t think of many right now.I gotta take off down the southside now, see yinz later.Donnie Iris is playin at nicks, and I gotta stop by pants-n’at ta get some new slacks.

Chris oz

Yeah i must admit i only said ive seen 3 kangaroos to make a point,ive seen plenty more,i live about an hour from canberra and 2 hours from sydney.Canberra has roos everywhere,in the worst drought of the past 100years or so,even the roos are starting to attack people and their dogs because they are getting to close to the city looking for water.So the whole boxing kangaroos is not a myth?
And yes i have seen many a roos being chewed out by crows on the side of the road,havent hit one in my car yet (touch wood).

Anyway a couple more sayings.

A aussie classic is poofter (gay person)

Dinkey di (hmm not exactly sure on that one) help chris?

wally(meaning someone who is being a fool)

Peace
H

I have always liked salad dodger for a fat person.

Mumblers = skin tight pants on women (as in I can see your lips move, but I can’t hear what you are saying)

XXXX is Queensland’s favourite beer, but I believe its a brand of condom in the US.

We have jugs of beer, you have pictures of beer and pictures of jugs.

Hahahaha you limeys and roo chasers are crackin’ me up! “Salad dodger” is my new favorite term, I think I’m going to get everybody here at work to start saying it.

Good thread!

Years back I cycled up the Eastcoast in Australia (app. 2000 Km) In one place the “dunnies” weren’t maked “Men and Women”. They were marked "Drip-dry and Flip-dry. Only in Oz!!!

[quote]HHH wrote:

[/quote]

Dinkey Di is someone that is genuine or true. Also known as “True Blue”.
For example, the guy doing “frat curls” today was not “dinkey di” he was a “wanker”.

We had Dickey Dee ice cream when I was a kid in Canada. Dudes used to ride around on their dog sleds trying to sell it to us!

I’m a big fan of “bell end”, although “mumblers” is my new fave.

BTW-Don’t ever spell with the letter “zed” to an American. They won’t have a clue what you’re saying. Is it true that some Australian States use “zee” and others “zed”?

Cheers

this is a little off topic

BOBFOC

Body of baywatch, face off crimewatch.

So, what about “fair dinkum?”

[quote]vroom wrote:
So, what about “fair dinkum?”[/quote]

Need to get an aussie…i think it is “fair enough”.

What abot some ither ways of being increadibly derogatory (sp). these are fun to use on posts!

I read some British chick lit. They always refer to guys putting on jumpers. I kept imagining him tossin on something like my old Catholic school uniform.

[quote]HHH wrote:
Chris oz

Yeah i must admit i only said ive seen 3 kangaroos to make a point,ive seen plenty more,i live about an hour from canberra and 2 hours from sydney.Canberra has roos everywhere,in the worst drought of the past 100years or so,even the roos are starting to attack people and their dogs because they are getting to close to the city looking for water.So the whole boxing kangaroos is not a myth?
And yes i have seen many a roos being chewed out by crows on the side of the road,havent hit one in my car yet (touch wood).

Anyway a couple more sayings.

A aussie classic is poofter (gay person)

wally(meaning someone who is being a fool)

Peace
H[/quote]

dinky di = true blue, real

wally is a fool unless of course you are referring to KING WALLY who is the greatest athlete ever to exist (queensland residents only hahah)

[quote]vroom wrote:
So, what about “fair dinkum?”[/quote]

its the same as true blue and dinky di…

its used as a statement when something is most definetly true its “fair dinkum”

it can also be used as a question. when someone tells a tall story that your not sure whether you believe you can say. Fair dinkum? and they cant/shouldnt really lie to you after that…

heres an equivalent translation…

Gangster 1
Yo biatch i just popped some caps in this motherfuckers ass. he was thiiiiiiiis big
Gangster 2
no way you did dat mother fucken gee?
Gangster 1
Fo shizzle

Aussie 1
hey mate, you should have seen this fish i caught the other day it was thiiiis big
Aussie 2
Fair dinkum?
Aussie 1
yeah true blue mate

thats pretty old school classic language though… most the older guys will talk like that but the younger guys are all hybrid using a LOT of american slang now, which is disapointing…

hmmm… I probably shouldnt have made out that american gangsters are all murderers while we are all fisherman…

heres a different example…
Gangster 1
Yo gee you should have seen this fine ass bitch that I got with last night she was PHAT

Aussie 1
Mate you should have seen this shiella I got with, she was a bit o’ all right.

the rest of the conversations can remain the same…

we also seem to love the word blue
Bluey. Nickname for a someone with red hair for some reason.
blue - getting into a fight
bluey. Swag.
true blue - most definetly

barney is also a fight

In Texas “fuck you, asshole” means “Nice to see you, friend.” Try it next time you’re here, a true Texan will appreciate your attempt at assimilation and probably answer you back in kind.

[quote]sam747 wrote:
In Texas “fuck you, asshole” means “Nice to see you, friend.” Try it next time you’re here, a true Texan will appreciate your attempt at assimilation and probably answer you back in kind.[/quote]

LMAO!!

I was going to mention something about Texisms. We have our own sayings, our own dialect - hell, living here is like living in a different little country.